The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #4,261 of 21,761
Quote:
I vote all clear or all sucker punch. :)

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 8.A's before the Christmas sale is over. 
rolleyes.gif

I really liked the 8.As when I heard them, despite not getting the best fit (wasn't my pair). They sounded warm and bassy while still detailed and had a nice soundstage. Kind of reminded me of an LCD-2, but better.

Yeah... it's going to come down to "whitegirl" or "sucker_punch." The whitegirl one isn't exactly clear, it's a translucent white with a slight off-tinge (as opposed to "whiteboy" which is more of a pure translucent white).

Ugh. These names. I feel like a prat typing them out like that.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #4,263 of 21,761
I vote for the sucker punch ones because the color looks stylishly funky

By the way guys I found out today my impressions for my 4A cleared the first stage of inspection and are on their way to China
All I can say to that news is

WOOT WOOT WOOT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

By the way my friends
Happy New Year

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4,264 of 21,761
Quote:

I really liked the 8.As when I heard them, despite not getting the best fit (wasn't my pair). They sounded warm and bassy while still detailed and had a nice soundstage. Kind of reminded me of an LCD-2, but better.

Yeah I think the sound sig would suit me quite well and the $70 reshell policy makes me feel a bit better about spending close to $1k on customs. 
The Frogbeats C4/5 also have my attention  - everyone who has them seems to think they're the bees knees. The C4 is 20% off at the moment as well.
Quote:

By the way guys I found out today my impressions for my 4A cleared the first stage of inspection and are on their way to China

Exciting times! :D 

---
Happy New Year everyone!

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #4,267 of 21,761
Stressed Out, Grumpy Tom's Scathing New Years Review
Highlighting only the negative since 2013...

Ultrasone iQ --- DAFUQ??!?
For a while now, I've been bound by morbid curiosity for the Ultrasone iQ. It has been panned universally even before it came out, and today, I shall add further insult to injury. I took what little respite I had today to inflict aural damage to my senses.

What I think of the iQ:

Yes.​

You guessed it. It is bassy and sibilant. Amusingly, I knew that going into the audition since everybody and their mothers told me so, but I thought it was going to be bassy and sibilant in a good way; you know, like fun thumping bass, with airy highs... No. It was none of these things. The bass was bloated and slow, and the highs featured the most annoying display of sibilance I've ever come across in an IEM. It wasn't that the sibilance hurt my ears --- I can handle that. I own or have owned several IEMs prone to sibilance, including, but not limited to, the FI-BA-SS, CK100PRO, DBA-02, Tzar 350. I can handle my sibilance. But the iQ was a different beast altogether; it was just... irritating. Every single time I encountered anything with a hint of sibilance on a track, I was met with extremely distracting sibilance that was akin to a blown tweeter rattling about in a cheap car stereo.

In its defense, the L-plug on the cable is pretty attractive.

Ultrasone TiO --- Ahhh. Much Better.
I can't stress this enough: TiO >>>> iQ. Everything about it was more pleasant; it wasn't sibilant at all, had an equally spacious presentation, had balanced, un-bloated bass, and engaging, solid mids. The housings were also very comfortable, in stark contrast the the weird box-like shape of the iQ (which was surprisingly not uncomfortable, though not exactly the zenith of ergonomic design, either). Unfortunately, the TiO is a case of "I've heard this before!", and the UE600 can deliver 98% (the other 2% still doesn't pay enough taxes) of what the TiO brings for a quarter of the price.

Again, pretty L-plug.

Final Verdict (out of a total of five Jackie Chans, five being the worst):

iQ:

TiO:

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #4,270 of 21,761
Quote:
The iQ is the Lindsay Lohan of IEMs.

Lindsay Lohan is a Star

Thus, 

The iQ is the Star of IEM's.

Gotcha. Through the transitive property. I'll forward that quote along to everyone I talk to.

Quote:Tommy2K
The iQ is the Star of IEM's.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #4,271 of 21,761
Jan 1, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #4,273 of 21,761
Quote:
Stressed Out, Grumpy Tom's Scathing New Years Review
Highlighting only the negative since 2013...

Oh yes, I've been waiting for this.

The IQ is just... no.
No, Ultrasone. No.
I thought you got over this with the Signature Pro.

Looks like they're back to their old tricks again. Could the IQ actually be the Edition 11?

I'm a little surprised at how nice you make the Tio sound. Given that tio is Spanish for uncle, I can't help but imagine it as someone's slightly weird but lovable uncle now. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #4,274 of 21,761
Quote:
Have you seen her act, recently? Train wrecks have more grace.

Perhaps, but like train wrecks, one can't help but watch.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #4,275 of 21,761
The Tio is quite pleasant sounding; most avuncular of it. I think it's very well balanced and a great package overall. The only negatives I can actually think of are the thin cables attached to each earpiece. It's okay below the Y-split. However, it is also overpriced. I'd accept it being $249 or perhaps even $299, but $449 is way too much.

So, sort of a win for the Tio and a big fail for the iQ. The iQ is a hot mess and a train wreck rolled into one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back