The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #11,686 of 21,761
Yep, I got sick of the peanut gallery myself as well as a couple of things the so called wiz kid claimed on thread. The arrogant way he was acting didn't impress me either. There's something to be said for companies who invest in good PR and customer service personnel who know how to talk and act in the presence of customers.

Val of VModa comes to mind of companies that are more acceptable in the forums. Acceptable in the sense that he is more humbling compared to Wizard from the few times I've been lurking on both the M100 and Heir mutual admiration (or else) threads. I don't know... maybe I am talking out of my arse.

May 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #11,687 of 21,761
Quote:
Val of VModa comes to mind of companies that are more acceptable in the forums. Acceptable in the sense that he is more humbling compared to Wizard from the few times I've been lurking on both the M100 and Heir mutual admiration (or else) threads. I don't know... maybe I am talking out of my arse.

I agree with how Val acts. Hence why even though I sold my M80's off many moons ago, I still want another pair. They are still a company I want to represent.

May 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #11,688 of 21,761
I dislike the magician's attitude as well. This is how he comes off to me:

pretentious_art_major_preview_by_deaddays.jpg

May 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #11,690 of 21,761
say like... food? 
biggrin.gif

i'm currently searching high & low for a potential source. been looking at the bricasti m1, berkeley alpha 2, zodiac gold, metrum and the likes. no clear commit one way or the other right now...

May 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #11,693 of 21,761
Quote:

Yep, I got sick of the peanut gallery myself as well as a couple of things the so called wiz kid claimed on thread. The arrogant way he was acting didn't impress me either. There's something to be said for companies who invest in good PR and customer service personnel who know how to talk and act in the presence of customers.

Yep, an when I heard it that's the first thing I thought, sounds rather half arsed. I'm sorry, I really don't mean to get any of the Audeze fans going but in my opinion when I heard the LCD-3  it was such a disappointment when compared to the LCD-2. I really did not like the mids compared to the LCD 2 and thought the highs were only a very small step improved.

I've heard about 5 pairs of the LCD-3, and I thought three of them (including the one I recently sold) were pretty damn good, and the other two were just okay.  That being said, I liked all of them at least as much as the few pairs of LCD-2's I've heard.  I should also note that the only setup on which I've heard both is the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo.  Based on my personal experience and what I've read, it seems like the LCD-3 is mainly a failure of quality control/consistency and that the sound quality ranges from worse than the LCD-2 to significantly improved over the LCD-2.  That point alone should be disappointing for Audeze fans, but as has been said, "such are the growing pains of a startup company".  Either way, the Audeze house sound isn't quite for me.  I'm lucky to have sold my pair for the same price I paid, but it seems like there will be a lot of people taking $500 hits if they bought them new and were dissatisfied.

Lee - The patched bamboo on the first two jobs was definitely ridiculous.  It wouldn't have been a problem if they'd made the split even and symmetrical with opposing stains or something, but as it was it looked blatantly half-arsed.  Kudos to you for sticking to your guns.  

May 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #11,694 of 21,761
Say like me being kind of shocked more people haven't cracked open Sony XBA gear to experiment with the drivers? I'm also surprised more CIEM companies don't try to push the envelope and offer crossover free models. Could that even work?

TL;DR- I just ordered some XBA-2's for $35 and am trying to think of fun things to do with them once my customs arrive.

EDIT: Just cancelled the order. Too many negative reviews. Ugh.

May 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #11,695 of 21,761
I have heard some interesting theories that the XBA drivers are the same as FAD's "custom made BAs." They do both exhibit the same type of driver flex...

Hmmm...

I would LOVE for someone to make a CIEM for me based on FAD / XBA drivers. Just as an experiment.

May 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #11,696 of 21,761
Quote:
I have heard some interesting theories that the XBA drivers are the same as FAD's "custom made BAs." They do both exhibit the same type of driver flex...

Hmmm...

I would LOVE for someone to make a CIEM for me based on FAD / XBA drivers. Just as an experiment.

I'm talking to someone right now about such a possibility. Just have to acquire the extra funds to buy them! XD

May 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #11,697 of 21,761
Quote:

I've heard about 5 pairs of the LCD-3, and I thought three of them (including the one I recently sold) were pretty damn good, and the other two were just okay.  That being said, I liked all of them at least as much as the few pairs of LCD-2's I've heard.  I should also note that the only setup on which I've heard both is the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo.  Based on my personal experience and what I've read, it seems like the LCD-3 is mainly a failure of quality control/consistency and that the sound quality ranges from worse than the LCD-2 to significantly improved over the LCD-2.  That point alone should be disappointing for Audeze fans, but as has been said, "such are the growing pains of a startup company".  Either way, the Audeze house sound isn't quite for me.  I'm lucky to have sold my pair for the same price I paid, but it seems like there will be a lot of people taking $500 hits if they bought them new and were dissatisfied.

Lee - The patched bamboo on the first two jobs was definitely ridiculous.  It wouldn't have been a problem if they'd made the split even and symmetrical with opposing stains or something, but as it was it looked blatantly half-arsed.  Kudos to you for sticking to your guns.  

That's the setup I heard it on too. Based on what I've read on the forums I'm guessing the one I heard was probably one of the bad ones. To bad, I was hoping the LCD-3 would knock my socks off. I rather like the Audeze house sound and I could see myself investing in a LCD-2 down the road. I know some people think the LCD series is over hyped but I really enjoyed my time with the LCD-2. It's one of the few summit-fi headphones that made me forget about sonic technicalities and had my toes tapping to the music with a silly grin on my face. You think their closed back headphone when it's finally released will be a step above the LCD-2?

May 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #11,698 of 21,761
Hey I just remembered, way back when Val threw up a post somewhere talking about the Mulano and how they were hoping to maybe have some work in progress test samples ready to be heard at the big headphone conventions by mid 2013. Has anyone heard anything about that or am I mixing up the finer details of the 1000 new products on the market again?

May 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #11,699 of 21,761
lol. Sorry.

BTW, I'll have the Flat-4 in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to compare it to the IE800.

Jealous haha . Those are likely my next buy. Purchase or loan?

Hmmm...

I don't know why but this scares me a bit.

May 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #11,700 of 21,761
Quote:
That's the setup I heard it on too. Based on what I've read on the forums I'm guessing the one I heard was probably one of the bad ones. To bad, I was hoping the LCD-3 would knock my socks off. I rather like the Audeze house sound and I could see myself investing in a LCD-2 down the road. I know some people think the LCD series is over hyped but I really enjoyed my time with the LCD-2. It's one of the few summit-fi headphones that made me forget about sonic technicalities and had my toes tapping to the music with a silly grin on my face. You think their closed back headphone when it's finally released will be a step above the LCD-2?

FWIW, I really did enjoy the closed-back LCD-2 prototype.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back