The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 12, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #11,671 of 21,761
Quote:

I tried following the Mimouille experience but half the time on the Heir threads I had no idea what was going on. I still don't. 

I actually never had any CONCRETE problem with Heir. I bought their iems, got good service, liked them, liked my other gear better, sold them. What I had a problem with was some unbeliavable arrogance on the thread, so I had to ask if the magician in question was really first degree...several times. That got me into a few arguments with the magician himself and a few of his minions.

Here is, I think, a perfect illustration of such an occurence:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584763/heir-audio-the-appreciation-thread/6480#post_9342665

Please partake.

May 12, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #11,674 of 21,761
Quote:
Quick question: any of the diary folk like the XBA-1? With them selling at $30, it seems like a hell of a deal.

Quote:
I'd imagine a_recording would have. I'd imagine he would've heard all the Sony by now.

Heh. Not ALL, but ever closer.

The XBA-1 is okay. Warm, glossy tone. It doesn't have the best bass thump / rumble and the highs especially seem a bit blunted. Plus it seems to have a kind of grain that seems to be apparent in it's relatively high distortion figures. For $30 though it's okay. The best thing about it is that it's comfortable, light and isolating. I hope you like J-Cables though.

I had a listen to the XBA-10 a few days ago which is about the same price from Amazon Japan. (Maybe $40). I'm not sure if there were any real differences since I couldn't do a direct comparison, but I did feel that they were less grainy and more bassy. The XBA-10 has a Y-Cable.

If I had a small amount to spend on an IEM I'd get the JVC FXD80-Z though.

May 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #11,675 of 21,761
I don't mind the XBA-1.....
but if I was going to buy BA iem I'd get the XBA-3......
I love mine!
sure its a bit more expensive but its totally worth it......
I got mine for a bargain $130 of India a few weeks after it came out......

May 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #11,676 of 21,761
May 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #11,677 of 21,761
May 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #11,681 of 21,761
Having looked into the Shure SE846 a bit more, I can say I'm genuinely excited about it now.

I know a lot of folks aren't going to be down with it because of the price, and that's certainly fair, but using it as an avatar for everything wrong in the IEM market today is a bit misguided. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's indicative of much of what's right in the IEM market today.

This is fast becoming a mantra of mine these days it seems, but once again I'll point out that the IEM market sees quite a bit of innovation from one year to the next. The price of universal flagship models does indeed climb higher and higher, and while the returns in that sense might be strained more and more, I also think we see a genuine trickle down of R&D from them. As a result better sounding IEMs are also getting less expensive: $100 these days will get you a whole lot more compared to a few years ago.

It's artwork inside a little capsule you stick in your ears. I love this stuff.

Okay, incoming rant. Going off on a tangent here....

The headphone market on the other hand is a sadder place IMHO.

While genuine innovation still takes place from time to time (the TakeT's Heil-type piezo and the HD800's ring drivers for instance), by and large it seems to be a static field. Even a fixture as venerated as Stax is essentially doing what they've done for decades already, though in that case one can seriously argue for an "ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. They've basically refined the process into an art itself: they produce the wagyu beef of the headphone world, the components massaged for days at a time in hermetically sealed environments by trembling hands.

For as lambasted as the Abyss is, its doing some genuinely novel stuff. Really the planar magnetic segment as a whole is in an interesting place right now. If you want an example of stagnation and the relative lack of progression among headphones today compared to their counterparts of yesteryear, look no further. The Fostex and Yamaha drivers found in older orthos are really spectacular in their own right, something that has continued up through to the Fostex T50RP of today. For $120 or so you can get a driver that is actually more sophisticated than those found in HiFiMan's orthos. No, for real. Their drivers are downright primitive in comparison. A lot of these older headphones are limited by materials of the time however, in some cases using magnets that are no better than fridge magnets. That's why they respond so well to modding. The T50RP for instance is basically in an unfinished state, so you're going to see quite a big upswing in scale after investing enough time in "completing" it. So when I hear the Paradox as sounding just as good as---if not better than---the HE-500, I'm not too terribly surprised.

I'm not dissing HiFiMan by any means.  I'm quite fond of their orthos, having still held on to my HE-400 (the older, darker version) and HE-6. I think they've done a lot of legitimate R&D and have kept their prices down, offering some of the better values in the full-sized headphone market. While comparatively crude, they still manage to compete on the same footing as their rivals because they know exactly where to focus their attention. There's not an ounce of "fat" on these models. I think Fang might be gearing up to show just what he can do with this next flagship tho, and perhaps we'll see him pull out all the stops. Same with the Jade II whenever it gets released in Far Flung Future World. Audez'e has also done a lot of R&D and put a lot of effort into their drivers. They're more impressive than HiFiMan's in that respect, at least to some of the ortho-philes I know. It seems the LCD-4 is getting quite a lot of attention, and I get the sense the LCD-3 was a stopgap of sorts while they work on it. The LCD-3... talk about a sad example of a smaller company's growing pains.

So yeah, I think we're going to see something of an "ortho war" over the next few years. LCD-4 versus HE-7 versus Abyss perhaps? The benefit of this is the potential for better, cheaper orthos. It's something of a dream for a friend of mine to see more sub-$500 orthos that can be driven from iPods and can be used readily as portables. In other words: cheaper, smaller, and more efficient. Sort of the direction orthos were headed in the 80s before they went out of style. It's just a shame these smaller companies are more focused on larger drivers. EIther way however, cheaper orthos are a good thing, so hopefully we'll see that on the horizon. There are new stats rumored to be coming out in the next few years as well. We're already seeing the King Sound Emperor. That product is very exciting. A new stat... that costs $500, not $5000!

The IEM market benefits from many, many more smaller companies versus full-sized headphones. Plus these companies all have access to the same pool of drivers. It's much harder to try to craft your driver from scratch like Audez'e did on the LCD-2 (their LCD-1 was OEM I believe). It's also harder to tune full-sized headphones, as you can only do so much with that one driver and ringing / damping plays a bigger role AFAIK.

May 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #11,682 of 21,761
Quote:
It seems the LCD-4 is getting quite a lot of attention

It is?  Would you happen to have any links?

Also, I agree in regard to the Shure 846 in the sense that it has me really excited for an IEM for the first time in a couple months and, just to put this all in perspective, is still around $400 cheaper than half my IEMs >_>

May 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #11,683 of 21,761
Quote:

It is?  Would you happen to have any links?

I meant Audez'e is devoting a lot of attention to the LCD-4. Even when they were working on the LCD-3, it seemed like they had the LCD-4 in mind more as their next "big" release. The LCD-3 seemed like sort of a half-arsed project IMHO.

May 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #11,684 of 21,761
The car analogy is a good one here I think, where the tech companies spend on and implement in their TOTL models at first trickles down to their lower models eventually to recoup the R&D costs after they have given exclusivity and made a statement. A direct example:

The BMW 7 series is not even close to being their volume model but that's where all the tech goes first. A few years back they made a color Heads-Up Display (HUD) that projected information onto the lower part of the window in front of the driver. This was tech that fighter pilots thought was cool because their HUDs at the time were monochrome. Eventually it was available on the 5 series. Now you can get it as an option on the new 3 series, one of their moneymakers.

I expect something similar with Shure. I don't think this is them being greedy or whatever is being said. It's a calculated risk.

XBA-1.
Hard to say its bad buy at $30.
Like was said above, it's kind of grainy sounding. Not exactly bassy nor is it the brightest IEM, though has some peakiness up top. If you have a source with a higher output impedance, it will sound brighter. Soundstage is not bad but compressed in height compared to some others. Isolation is good too. That one for $30 is probably not the iphone model so it probably has a J-cord which some people hate.

May 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #11,685 of 21,761
Quote:
I actually never had any CONCRETE problem with Heir. I bought their iems, got good service, liked them, liked my other gear better, sold them. What I had a problem with was some unbeliavable arrogance on the thread, so I had to ask if the magician in question was really first degree...several times. That got me into a few arguments with the magician himself and a few of his minions.

Here is, I think, a perfect illustration of such an occurence:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584763/heir-audio-the-appreciation-thread/6480#post_9342665

Please partake.

Yep, I got sick of the peanut gallery myself as well as a couple of things the so called wiz kid claimed on thread. The arrogant way he was acting didn't impress me either. There's something to be said for companies who invest in good PR and customer service personnel who know how to talk and act in the presence of customers.

Quote:

I meant Audez'e is devoting a lot of attention to the LCD-4. Even when they were working on the LCD-3, it seemed like they had the LCD-4 in mind more as their next "big" release. The LCD-3 seemed like sort of a half-arsed project IMHO.

Yep, an when I heard it that's the first thing I thought, sounds rather half arsed. I'm sorry, I really don't mean to get any of the Audeze fans going but in my opinion when I heard the LCD-3  it was such a disappointment when compared to the LCD-2. I really did not like the mids compared to the LCD 2 and thought the highs were only a very small step improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back