The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #11,506 of 21,761
There are times when watching anime filled me with glee and childish wonders. There are times when watching anime hits me in the feels like a runaway train crashing space colony. And then there are times when it just darkens my world view and made me depress. Trying to catch up to Flower of Evil in one day is a bad idea. Tilpo mentioned this before here. I'm here just to weep.

May 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #11,507 of 21,761

Quote:

I used to love ramen...until I startd looking at the nutritional contents on the back....at least 70% DV sodium?! 

No thanks.

That's why it's a guilty pleasure. One that I relish. Gotta get some of that poached egg action going too, if you're gonna kill yourself, you gotta at least do it right 

Yes I did on a whim lol. I was eating it at the time and was like I gotta share this lol. Its expensive though like $2.00 a cup at costco. But you have to buy the case so its $24.00. Still since that is cheaper than anywhere else I've found I'll be buying 2 cases the next time I go. I simply chopped up some spam, heated up water in that screamer pot (not sure what you call it lol) and walla :).

Spam in ramen? What manner of heathenism is this? Oh you silly Hawaiians... 
biggrin.gif

$2 for a bowl is nuts dude. Man I miss livin' in CA. I hate paying extra for anything even remotely ethnic out here in the sticks

edit: Oh shiiii - I just realized that I committed the cardinal sin of partaking in food talk. God damn it, I am guilty by association :l 

May 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #11,508 of 21,761
Quote:
That's why it's a guilty pleasure. One that I relish. Gotta get some of that poached egg action going too, if you're gonna kill yourself, you gotta at least do it right 

biggrin.gif

$2 for a bowl is nuts dude. Man I miss livin' in CA. I hate paying extra for anything even remotely ethnic out here in the sticks

lol don't knock it until you try it :wink:...

May 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #11,509 of 21,761
Quote:

biggrin.gif

edit: Oh shiiii - I just realized that I committed the cardinal sin of partaking in food talk. God damn it, I am guilty by association :l 

Spam is delicious.

I miss living in Coventry though, there was a place that served amazing ramen and noodles just a mile from where I lived. Enormous bowls too.

May 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #11,510 of 21,761
Quote:
lol don't knock it until you try it :wink:...

I have a can of spam lying around with no recollection of how it got there nor any idea of what to do with it sooooo which instant ramen do you recommend with it?

I've been going out for shio ramen with extra fatty pork belly for a while, wasting money on otherworldly flavor, so this should be fun.

May 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #11,511 of 21,761
Quote:
I have a can of spam lying around with no recollection of how it got there nor any idea of what to do with it sooooo which instant ramen do you recommend with it?

I've been going out for shio ramen with extra fatty pork belly for a while, wasting money on otherworldly flavor, so this should be fun.

Well I generally don't eat spam with Ramen but saw my uncle doing it and tried it out with the Ace Cook Noodle "Super Big Ramen" Shoyu flavor. I simply cut two slices of spam. Then cut those in half and then cut them across into smaller pieces. Just throw it in with the boiling water and thats it. Spam also goes really good in musibis wrapped in seaweed. Plain is just fine or even adding a little Nori Komi Furikaki and Susans Teri-miso sause to it :).

May 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #11,512 of 21,761
Quote:
Speaking of Ramen I ended up looking for a recipe on how to make your own Ramen and it looks pretty neat. From the comments I've read many seem to like the recipe. I'm gonna make it for dinner one of these days. :)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-REAL-Japanese-ramen-from-scratch/

The effort that the recipe should have shown with regards to making the broth is very much understated. You can get it pre-made and get better quality noodles without the insta-perservatives but making broth is an timely art.

Did I ever tell the story when I tried making a batch of Shoyu broth and ended up making the whole house smell like fish and smoldering one of my favourite pots?

I've spent too much time listening to Paramore - god knows why. They were blaring the new song or smt over the intercom where I had been stuck the whole day. Immediately went back home and loaded it up on YT (Hayley's new hair looks nice).

Ugh, it's a guilty pleasure but I'm feeling extra guilty about it. Someone talk some sense into me.

May 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #11,513 of 21,761
Quote:

I used to love ramen...until I startd looking at the nutritional contents on the back....at least 70% DV sodium?! 

No thanks.

Don't even go into a Japanese market then. That describes about 90% of everything in the store. The other 10% has 70% DV sugar (This is the section where everyone under the age of 40 spends most of their time).

I go once a month. It's great
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #11,514 of 21,761
Quote:
The effort that the recipe should have shown with regards to making the broth is very much understated. You can get it pre-made and get better quality noodles without the insta-perservatives but making broth is an timely art.

Did I ever tell the story when I tried making a batch of Shoyu broth and ended up making the whole house smell like fish and smoldering one of my favourite pots?

I've spent too much time listening to Paramore - god knows why. They were blaring the new song or smt over the intercom where I had been stuck the whole day. Immediately went back home and loaded it up on YT (Hayley's new hair looks nice).

Ugh, it's a guilty pleasure but I'm feeling extra guilty about it. Someone talk some sense into me.

Yeah I wouldn't waste my time making the noodles and not come up with my own broth. I mean that is just stupid to use an instant packet (at least I think so if you are making the noodles from scratch lol). I plan on buying some seaweed and boiling it to make my own dashi :wink:. I'll buy some tofu, green onions, ****ake mushrooms (LMAO $h1take is censored :p) and fishcake. :).

Quote:

Don't even go into a Japanese market then. That describes about 90% of everything in the store. The other 10% has 70% DV sugar (This is the section where everyone under the age of 40 spends most of their time).

I go once a month. It's great
biggrin.gif

lol well I know it isn't good based on the sodium alone. But that isn't stopping me. Just I don't eat spam for breakfast lunch and dinner everyday lol :).

May 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11,515 of 21,761
Quote:
Well I generally don't eat spam with Ramen but saw my uncle doing it and tried it out with the Ace Cook Noodle "Super Big Ramen" Shoyu flavor. I simply cut two slices of spam. Then cut those in half and then cut them across into smaller pieces. Just throw it in with the boiling water and thats it. Spam also goes really good in musibis wrapped in seaweed. Plain is just fine or even adding a little Nori Komi Furikaki and Susans Teri-miso sause to it :).

Oh heck yes. I'm gonna go fire up the rice cooker.

Also, I was in a Chinese market a few weeks ago and came across this:

I was at a loss. The Spam people have been busy little bees. All I knew was that Spam was Spam, the one in the blue tin. My mind almost exploded.

May 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #11,516 of 21,761
Quote:

Oh heck yes. I'm gonna go fire up the rice cooker.

Also, I was in a Chinese market a few weeks ago and came across this:

I was at a loss. The Spam people have been busy little bees. All I knew was that Spam was Spam, the one in the blue tin. My mind almost exploded.

lol yea I thought it was kinda funny having different flavors :p. I tend to go for less sodium spam or just the original one. I'm sure the others are ok as well but I don't really notice that much of a difference between them. Its spam in the end ;P.

Well I guess I spelled Shiitake wrong then :).

In the end I'm a sucker for Asian food. Be it Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino. Not the biggest fan of Vietnamese food but then again that was when I was young and hated veggies :p. I wish I could apologize to them for being so rude at that time. I didn't know better at that age.

May 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #11,518 of 21,761
Quote:

I saw Andrew Zimmern try that in Hawaii once. Dude didn't like it. Andrew Zimmern routinely gorges himself on pig buttholes and other bits of viscera, says it all really :l 

I kid. I might try it out of morbid curiousity

Quote:

I dunno know bout no Paramore, but man that Hayley Williams is cute. It's cause I've got a thing for redheads. It might have stemmed from exposure to Ariel from the Little Mermaid as a little boy. It might have taken root with Asuka Langley Soryuu in high school. It might even be some kinda beer goggle **** for me, cause here's Hayley committing the unforgivable sin of duckface: 

http://i2.esmas.com/galerias/fotos/2012/1/HayleyWilliams1-14ffd570-98d8-102f-8247-0019b9d5c8df.jpg

In most instances, this oughtta be punishable by death, but she's still so toe-tay-mo cow-why-ee day-su.  In other words, I oughtta agree with you, but I find myself unable to do so :l 

May 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #11,519 of 21,761
Quote:

My thoughts exactly 
biggrin.gif

What doesn't give you cancer, high blood-pressure or diabetes these days lol. People trying to eat healthier eat oatmeal to find that the instant oatmeal they are eating is making them gain weight. Or the sugar and additives/portions they add out-weight the benefits :p.

May 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #11,520 of 21,761
Quote:
I saw Andrew Zimmern try that in Hawaii once. Dude didn't like it. Andrew Zimmern routinely gorges himself on pig buttholes and other bits of viscera, says it all really :l 

I kid. I might try it out of morbid curiousity

lol just thinking about pig anus. I don't know if I could really eat it without puking lol. Just the thought alone of it would make me Ralph :p. But I'm sure a lot of the food I eat would be considered gross by many. Like poke. Many in the mainland would consider that fish bait instead of a delicacy lol. But those who love sushi would enjoy it (I love sushi also). I think Cow tongue is tops for me. Had an interesting taste. But I was getting sick to my stomach thinking about it. This was at a Japanese Restaurant where you cook your own food over the fire....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back