The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #5,986 of 21,761
Quote:
I'd have to admit I'd also be pissed to get owned having low ping vs someone with high ping....
redface.gif

Back in the day, it was all about the HPWs vs the LPBs.  (High Ping Whiners and Low Ping Bas----)
Quote:
... That's not how you spell Planescape Torment

+1

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,987 of 21,761
I think I've mentioned this before, but I've sold off a good number of my headphones along with most of my dynamic amps: the B22, Leben, and even my beloved ZDSE. I've got my Moth 2A3 here awaiting approval to be shipped off for modifications, so it'll be awhile before it's done. Consequently I find myself want for something to drive my remaining dynamics, both as an interim solution until the Moth is ready and also as a workhorse since I don't want to put too many hours on what will essentially be a one-of-a-kind showpiece amp.

For some time the DNA Stratus 2A3 has been at the top of my list of considerations. To that I'd also add the Cavalli Liquid Glass now that the issue with hum on sensitive headphones has been resolved. I've auditioned the LG before, and it's a truly exceptional sounding amp: both highly accurate and engaging, able to draw the listener into the music with just a hint of lushness and amazing depth. I haven't tried the Stratus, but from the descriptions it seems similarly resolving and clear yet lush. The Status also has the benefit of balanced outputs which the LG---and Moth, incidentally---lacks. The LG on the other hand accepts a huge variety of tubes and can be tuned quite discernibly from them.

I'm also really curious about the Eddie Current 2A3 revision. I suspect it wont be available in time for me to use it while I wait for the Moth, but it's a tempting prospect nonetheless. It'll feature a variety of upgrades from the previous iteration, including the BA's heater. In fact some have been touting it as the replacement for the BA. Whether it is or not, impressions of its sound have been extremely positive. It also has speaker taps, which is a plus. Apparently Craig will offer it with different tube options, in which case I'd opt for 45s over the 2A3s. There's also the Leviathan project: Craig's uber-amp that some head-fiers I know declared to be the greatest dynamic amp they've ever heard. It's certainly an impressive monster, with $2-3k alone in transformer costs (Tango / Hashimoto). If it materialized, it would be a very small run and cost quite a bit obviously. I'm just not sure if I can justify such an amp at this point in time given my dwindling enthusiasm for dynamic headphones in general. It too has speaker taps, which helps justify a purchase in my mind somewhat.

The only other dynamic amp that really interests me at this point in time is the upcoming HeadAmp GS-Xmk2. I'm operating is major petty-mode here, but the main draw for me there is the chassis which Justin says is similar to the BHSE now. The thought of getting the GS-Xmk2 in seafoam / surf green to match my BHSE is just too cool. LOL.

Also want to pick up a portable amp to compliment the UHA-6S. The Apex Glacier and HeadAmp Pico Power are the primary contenders here. Then there's the RSA Intruder which I'm still fairly unsure about.

Hmm... what else? An integrated speaker amp to replace the Leben. Thinking Luxman, Accuphase, or Chord. Probably Accuphase. Naim's gear is too proprietary. Red Wine Audio's stuff is gorgeous, but I've never been a huge fan of their sound personally, so I'm a little reluctant there.

I'm in the waiting area of a clinic. I had to take a friend of mine there early this morning. It's incredibly boring, and this old lady keeps staring at me. I smiled at her, but she didn't smile back. ;___;

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #5,989 of 21,761
I've compared the SUI to other IEMs in this thread and elsewhere, and the KAEDE is [to my ear's at least] really close to the SUI in sound.

Is there something in particular you want to know?

I do not want to ask too much but I do not understand how Shizgeo is hearing the two models as being totally different...I am intrigued by the technology but 950 is a bit steep so if they are really close I could try the SUI...

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #5,991 of 21,761
Any interest in the Cavalli Liquid Gold, MF?

Also, if you haven't seen the new GS-X faceplates here is a shot:

900x900px-LL-5c7a5618_image.jpeg

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5,992 of 21,761
Feb 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5,995 of 21,761
I got a note from USPS yesterday, meaning either my SR009's are there waiting for me... or 2 bags of Jelly Babies.  I mean, I'll be a bit disappointed if it's the Jelly Babies, but at least I'd have some Jelly Babies to eat on my way home.

I'm sincerely sorry that my first thought is "LET IT BE THE JELLY BABIES".

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,996 of 21,761
I got a note from USPS yesterday, meaning either my SR009's are there waiting for me... or 2 bags of Jelly Babies.  I mean, I'll be a bit disappointed if it's the Jelly Babies, but at least I'd have some Jelly Babies to eat on my way home.

That's the worst. I hate anticipating the arrival of new gear only to see that dreaded note :l

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6,000 of 21,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back