The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,962 of 21,761
Quote:
I have an anime question for the diary.  I have seen some ( actually very few) anime's in my time (Ghost in The Shell comes to mind) but not enough to be a good judge of them.  I have a niece that is borderline autistic.  She's 21 years old but has the maturity of someone much younger.  I'd say 12-14 yo or thereabouts.  She very much likes anime but her parents have asked me for advice on what to allow her to see.  Now, I know that anime runs the gamut from very appropriate for small children to way out there in terms of mature themes.  Could I get some advice (yes/no, why) on a few shows that she's interested in?  Would you be ok with your niece watching the following:

The Bakugan series
Beyblade Metal Fusion
Black Butler
Black Cat
the Darker than Black series
Deltora Quest
the Digimon series
Fairy Tail
Full metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
MAR
Moble Fighter G Gundam
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
the Pokemon series
Spice and Wolf
Yu-gi-oh 5Ds
Yu-gi-oh GX
Zoids New Century Zero

I would ask in the anime thread but I have never set foot in there.  I've been following lurking in this thread almost since its original beginnings and feel that I know you all and would feel more comfortable with your advice.  Thank you very much from me and from my niece.

Out of all of those I highly recommend you look up Spice and Wolf. It's just a charming short series with 2 seasons out so far at about 12 episodes each. I'd definitely say it is a safe watch. I recently approached this question myself when my little sister (10 years old) asked if we could watch some stuff together. Other wise I don't think there's much more I could tell you that others here haven't, except to mention that Darker than Black, Black Butler, and Black Cat should be out of the question.

I loved G Gundam; its basically a parody of everything that had been happening in action anime/movie culture up to the early 90's, in the form of an over the top wushu epic, and it had an amazing soundtrack. It's over-the-top themes may not be appropriate though.

Gundam Wing is presented in a mostly safe manner, but its themes of conflict vs pacifism and plot may also not be appropriate. On another note, its soundtrack is also excellent.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #3,963 of 21,761
Steam sales really are wonderful; I just picked up around 5 games, including the Mass Effect Collection (1&2) for $20. With most of the old AAA titles down to $10 and pretty big sales on brand new titles, it looks like they'll be getting more of my money in next few days
biggrin.gif

(the holiday sale is until January 5th)

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #3,965 of 21,761
Well holy crap; Gamer's Gate has some pretty amazing deals too.

Also, I just ran Sega's Sonic Adventure 2 HD release to find it running at an incredibly high, unplayable framerate. Sega would leave out the option to use vsync without incorporating any form of frame limiting, huh? Hopefully my pc is just being derpy...

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #3,969 of 21,761
Quote:
Tip: don't buy cheap balsamic vinegar. Yuck.

+1  I've fallen for that "oh this seems like such a good deal on sale" kind of thing with balsamic before. 
frown.gif
  Never again.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #3,971 of 21,761
I had an interesting dream last night.

Somehow, I was pregnant. The doctor on call wore a face mask that was a poor rendering of Mao Zedong and refused to take it off. I remember reaching up to grab it, and he backed away, clutching at it franticly shouting "No! No! Don't!"

When he composed himself (after I stopped), he proceeded to do an ultrasound using nothing but his hand. He said there were millions of tiny eyes embedded in it that were sending the images to his brain, which were in turn being beamed to the monitor. Only there was no monitor. He said the baby wasn't human but was, instead, a pair of headphones.

I didn't freak out or anything. I just thought to myself, "I hope they're good headphones."

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #3,973 of 21,761
Quote:

Somehow, I was pregnant. The doctor on call wore a face mask that was a poor rendering of Mao Zedong and refused to take it off. I remember reaching up to grab it, and he backed away, clutching at it franticly shouting "No! No! Don't!"

When he composed himself (after I stopped), he proceeded to do an ultrasound using nothing but his hand. He said there were millions of tiny eyes embedded in it that were sending the images to his brain, which were in turn being beamed to the monitor. Only there was no monitor. He said the baby wasn't human but was, instead, a pair of headphones.

I didn't freak out or anything. I just thought to myself, "I hope they're good headphones."

I'd hope they're IEMs.

Awesome dream!

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3,974 of 21,761
Suddenly, on a whim, I ordered an Audio-Technica CKM1000 and VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition.

Ain't gonna lie: the latter purchase was mainly prompted by the candycane cable.

And while I'm expounding on my lack of self-control, I should say JH Audio's holiday sale is posing something of a danger. It doesn't help that I'm really curious about "Freq-Phase" since it supposedly improves things in areas that are sonically very important to me. Hnnnggg....

Quote:
I'd hope they're IEMs.

Yeah, and not something like the Float QA.

Ouch.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #3,975 of 21,761

Ahahahahahaha omg I'm about to pass out XD

only on head-fi folks! I wish I had a way to acquire free headphones like that D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back