The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,616 of 21,761
I was actually about to pull the trigger on an O2, but ended up waiting until next paycheck for the Magni/Modi stack. Terribly ironic, I know :p

I don't really know how I feel about the O2. I'm sure it's great for the price either way, but it seems the reviews are so mixed. One quote that sticks out in my mind is "Measures better than it sounds". 

All I know is I'm tired of these damn KSC75's. They sound great, don't get me wrong, but I need my IEMs. I also need my isolation so I don't feel like I'm going deaf listening at higher levels :|

P.S. I agree on the celadon comment. It is a gorgeous color, and I've been looking for a thin walled celadon gaiwan for a while now. Well, one that won't treat my wallet like it just dropped the soap in prison.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,618 of 21,761
Quote:
One quote that sticks out in my mind is "Measures better than it sounds". 

I'd have to say that's about right IMO.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #3,620 of 21,761
Quote:

1. I wonder how he knows this
2. If it's who I think it is, I suspect that any amplifier design that is not his own is going to be perceived as suboptimal, and therefore inadequate.
3. If it's who I think it is, it's less that I don't put much stock in what he says, it's that I find his inability to distinguish between factuality and his own informed opinion to diminish the quality of his opinions. Or, in other words, it's hard to care about what he says.

Someone posted the internals here at head-fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608091/new-amp-from-orb-audio-jp-jade-to-go#post_8350514

Though it doesn't look particularly like "poor build quality" to me. Then again I don't really know what I'm talking about. Really I'm just curious as to the whole "opamp as a buffer = bad" thing.

Quote:

The way his followers present it, though, makes the very idea of a buffer like that garbage, is what I meant.  Amps that do anything more than the O2 does are basically immoral.

Again, that's how I understand his followers.  I've never cared enough to go to the source.

Actually, this time I wasn't referring to him. You can see who it is on that other forum.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3,622 of 21,761
Happy Birthday jgray91!
 ​
 ​

​

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3,623 of 21,761
Happy birthday Jgray! 

Quote:
Actually, this time I wasn't referring to him. You can see who it is on that other forum.

Oh!  I didn't make that connection with his last name despite knowing of the amps.  I also didn't know people were really into them/him.  Now I'm really curious as to why you and ardgedee (if he got the identity right) don't trust him.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #3,624 of 21,761
Yeah, I don't really know from electronics design; about the harshest I can be is that the hot glue is sloppily-applied.

I would say, for a product Made in Japan is the production quality average at best. But who knows as sleepy this poor workers are all the time!? :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3,625 of 21,761
And so it is, jgray91!
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3,627 of 21,761
Quote:
I believe she already has a Creative Commons license. Her recording engineer suggested it to her and I think he helped her out with the process. I'll ask her about it, though, and find out.

Well, it isn't listed as CC on bandcamp; there is a setting for releases there. I'd totally get a copy if it was CC, its great :3

Quote:
I am actually writing an academic paper on this topic. In short, it describes how biometrics will become the future (things like facial verification, etc). It will solve all those problems of forgetting PINs and passwords.

Quote:
There's been stories already of people getting kidnapped or mauled to use their fingerprints. So I don't think biometrics will solve every problem without creating problems of its own.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up, this paper from Stanford: http://bojinov.org/professional/usenixsec2012-rubberhose.pdf talks about a pure-muscle memory approach to passwords (like a guitar hero like game) because it cannot be co-erced out of an agent in a capture / torture situation. 

Quote:
Happy Birthday jgray91!

+1 :D

Happy Birthday!

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3,628 of 21,761
Quote:

Well, it isn't listed as CC on bandcamp; there is a setting for releases there. I'd totally get a copy if it was CC, its great :3

You should purchase a copy anyway. This girl spent a couple thousand dollars out of pocket just to do this product and is pretty much expecting to suffer losses on it. I think it'd really make her day if she saw that she actually landed a few sales on this thing. I don't have any releases or anything on Bandcamp and I'm not sure quite how familiar she is with the service since this is her first big project, so where is this setting?

Edit: I just asked her about it and said that she should consider it. I let her know that there was someone who was willing to purchase it if it were put under CC, so I think she'll probably be willing to think about it. And, having read up on the Creative Commons license, I think it'd be a pretty smart idea. It make sharing a little easier and she'd probably reach a larger audience. Maybe even net some more sales. It'd be nice if she could make her money back on this and maybe even a little more so that she could have some money for college textbooks and all that stuff.

Edit 2: Luka is in the process of learning about the Creative Commons license options and is working on setting hers up. So, it should be licensed under Creative Commons before the day is over. Thank you for expressing interest in her music. She's been really happy recently, because it seems that a lot of people have been enjoying it so far.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3,629 of 21,761
Quote:

You should purchase a copy anyway. This girl spent a couple thousand dollars out of pocket just to do this product and is pretty much expecting to suffer losses on it. I think it'd really make her day if she saw that she actually landed a few sales on this thing. I don't have any releases or anything on Bandcamp and I'm not sure quite how familiar she is with the service since this is her first big project, so where is this setting?

Edit: I just asked her about it and said that she should consider it. I let her know that there was someone who was willing to purchase it if it were put under CC, so I think she'll probably be willing to think about it. And, having read up on the Creative Commons license, I think it'd be a pretty smart idea. It make sharing a little easier and she'd probably reach a larger audience. Maybe even net some more sales. It'd be nice if she could make her money back on this and maybe even a little more so that she could have some money for college textbooks and all that stuff.

I don't have an artist's account but it should be somewhere in here: http://blog.bandcamp.com/2009/01/19/on-the-expansion-of-creativity-in-the-commons/ Creative commons with attribution non-commercial would probably make most sense, because if it turns out that it gets big enough that its picked up for some commercial project she can get royalties.

I want to get it, I just don't want to feel guilty about using it in some project because that's what I quite sorely want to do. It also means she will get exposure to people searching specifically for creative commons licensed music, and if she tags the music in the right way she'll get some hits.

Edit: Btw, I cannot seem to find the original link you had posted to the music -___-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back