The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,776 of 21,761
Perhaps the true gemstones of audio are hidden within all the expensive marketing and silliness.  Like sapphires under the moonlight in a grey, barren junkyard!  Help!

Well, that just single-handedly shot down my argument.

I don't think all DIY'ers think they can do it better than the commercial market - some are simply cheap b@stards that don't want to pay for the brand marketing, and some are simply tech geeks that like the smell of a hot soldering iron. There are plenty of ego-driven designers in DIY, but there are also people who know that it would be very difficult to compete with the R&D resources available to a megacorp. This is why so many amp designs are just minor variations of a reference design.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #2,777 of 21,761
I think some of the regulars will appreciate this: A 5-part retrospective analysis of Cornelius' Fantasma. If you don't enjoy reading about music, you'll hate this. But if it's the sort of thing you like, you'll wallow in it.

I've been listening to Fantasma a lot while I try to get a handle on this set of IEMs I'm weeks late in delivering a writeup on. One of the more pleasurable annoyances I've had to face is that every time I swap customs, I end up hearing Yet Something Else That I'd Never Heard Before. Which is both reflective of the quality of these IEMs and of the album itself; it rewards both cursory listens and endless replays.

Even my partner is starting to listen into this album now. Eh heh heh.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luXDQAWIALk[/VIDEO]

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2,779 of 21,761
As tempting as it was to catch up on 729 posts aka ~50 pages, I decided to skip to here. It's wonderful how active this thread is, but don't check it for a few weeks and BAM!

Two things:

1) I really don't like IEMs. I have some sort of jaw problem and I think IEMs aggravates it. Combined with the fact that I can rarely get an equal seal in both ears, I have an awful OCD-like (hate that term, I don't think I actually have OCD but...) reaction to wearing IEMs for very long. It also makes me paranoid about clogged up earwax in my ears, which I don't think is actually a problem, but I definitely have had more buildup since I started using IEMs more often. On the other hand, I can't use speakers because they're expensive and I don't have the proper living space for them.

2) Being at a university with a large party scene, I've been grappling with a conflict about myself. I'm somewhere between introvert and extrovert -- being a picky person, I really only derive energy and fun when hanging out with people who I really really like. I don't get much joy from being with people who don't meet my standards. I'm admittedly selfish in this fact, but that's just how I am. Otherwise, I like being alone. However, at university there's this party culture that makes me feel like I am missing out on things when I don't go. But when I do, it's just a bunch of drunk people standing around doing awkward things. I'm not very good at these situations -- I just can't really "let go" with strangers. I love a drink with friends and doing crazy wild stuff, but with a bunch of people I'm not familiar with? Not my thing. Not to mention the incessant amount of "hook up culture" at college, where for some reason people enjoy hooking up with random drunken strangers they've met for a one night stand. So many cultural things I just don't understand... makes me wonder if I just had a totally different upbringing than some of these partiers. Anyway, it's tough for me to decide if I don't like parties because I don't fit in and I'm not cool enough to enjoy them, or if it's just because parties aren't my thing. I don't want to be disdainful of people who like to get drunk and go wild and hook up just because I am seemingly unable to do so.

Moreover, it makes me wonder where I can meet people who are like me -- not really into the party scene, but also not totally introverted or quiet. I dunno where to look!

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2,780 of 21,761
Quote:
Being at a university with a large party scene, I've been grappling with a conflict about myself. I'm somewhere between introvert and extrovert -- being a picky person, I really only derive energy and fun when hanging out with people who I really really like. I don't get much joy from being with people who don't meet my standards. I'm admittedly selfish in this fact, but that's just how I am. Otherwise, I like being alone. However, at university there's this party culture that makes me feel like I am missing out on things when I don't go. But when I do, it's just a bunch of drunk people standing around doing awkward things. I'm not very good at these situations -- I just can't really "let go" with strangers. I love a drink with friends and doing crazy wild stuff, but with a bunch of people I'm not familiar with? Not my thing. Not to mention the incessant amount of "hook up culture" at college, where for some reason people enjoy hooking up with random drunken strangers they've met for a one night stand. So many cultural things I just don't understand... makes me wonder if I just had a totally different upbringing than some of these partiers. Anyway, it's tough for me to decide if I don't like parties because I don't fit in and I'm not cool enough to enjoy them, or if it's just because parties aren't my thing. I don't want to be disdainful of people who like to get drunk and go wild and hook up just because I am seemingly unable to do so.
Moreover, it makes me wonder where I can meet people who are like me -- not really into the party scene, but also not totally introverted or quiet. I dunno where to look!

I get what you mean, but the key is balance. I'm sort of an introverted socialite in that I love people, yet I think humanity is comprised of idiotic bags of meat.

What you want to do is set up a series of rules for yourself. For instance, I'm a tried and true procrastinator, but if I have a large project or exam coming up I'll force myself to start working on it 3 days before the due date. In that way, you can apply rules to other areas of your life.

As for the hooking up thing, be thankful you were raised the way you were. The statistics showing the number of college students with sexually transmitted diseases are enough to scare almost anyone into abstinence. Find yourself a good girl (preferably a virgin, as rare as they are), and stick with her.

I'm only kidding about the virgin thing...kinda.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,781 of 21,761
Originally posted in my Leckerton UHA-6S MK II thread

Interesting, I've been putting the UHA-6S MKII (Eva) with op amp 209 installed head to head against my top lady the ALO RX MKII (Itoru). For the last hour or so I've been rotating my iPod Classic with Fiio L9 connector between the two amps using my jPhonic K2 sp IEM. The most noticeable difference is the soundstage. On the RX it seems wider giving the music a sitting in a large music hall like feel to it. Where the comparison gets interesting for me is the bass. On the songs Catch My Fall, Eyes Without A Face and Flesh For Fantasy by Billy Idol I noticed the bass is far more cleaner on the Leckerton with a nice satisfying mid bass rumbly sound to it. All three of these songs have a heavy prominent bass line which takes front and center over the guitars. Because of the better detailed rumbly bass the music sounds like it has more depth. After a little more A/Bing I began to sense the music on the Leckerton had a very slightly better 3D like layering to it. The RX is my most fluid sounding amp and it's transition between mids to lower highs and upper lows has always sounded wonderful on this amp. When put head to head against the Leckerton it keeps it's title as far as fluidity goes. I'm also noticing the mids seem to be pulled up a quarter step forward compared to the Leckerton making the RX a more mid centric sounding amp. As far as mids go the Leckerton seems to have a more crisper note presentation in the mids as well as it's whole overall signature. The end result, the Leckerton seems to have better PRAT making it a good amp for fast paced rock and electronica. As far as highs go, the Leckerton seems to sound slightly cleaner and crisper but the RX although not as crisp seems to have more air up top due to it's wider soundstage. The pops taps clips etc in the music also seem to have more authority on the Leckerton while on the RX those effects seem to sound a db or two softer.

Right now I really can't decide which of these two ladies I like better. They both seem to do very well what they're good at. I think I just had my very first threesome.
blink.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2,783 of 21,761
Oh wow, Google decided to pay tribute to Ernie Coombs aka Mr Dressup. I grew up watching that show as far back as I can remember. R.I.P Ernie, God bless you for the happy childhood memories and may you wrest in peace. My favorite character of the series was Finnegan. When I was a little kid I used to bug my parents to get me a dog just like Finnegan.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #2,785 of 21,761
Nov 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #2,786 of 21,761
I think everyone does ^^ 

I'm on the fence. Wouldn't mind one, but don't feel like becoming permanently associated with some thing I said one time.

Oh wow, Google decided to pay tribute to Ernie Coombs aka Mr Dressup.

Awesome! He's the closest that Canada got to a domestic version of Mr. Rogers. I remember watching his show as a kid -- I was a little too old for it by the time we'd moved close enough to Canada to get CBC on our television, but my younger siblings watched it and I'd end up sitting in too..

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2,788 of 21,761
Exactly what sort of rig are you using?

That's a secret. ^^

In a nutshell, I'm a little skeptical of the sound of BUF634.  I think buffers are useful when driving full size headphones, at the beck and call of more voltage and current, but in your case with the Leckerton (without any buffers), you don't need the extra mA, for IEM's.

I realised the V-moda iPhone thing is using OPA1612, that's a highly transparent chip, however with low mA output..., so I don't think that product will sound very good (for it's price) with, say... a DT770 / 600.

The Portaphile, I'm just a little skeptical it's the ideal OPA627 circuit, that's all.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2,789 of 21,761
I'm on the fence. Wouldn't mind one, but don't feel like becoming permanently associated with some thing I said one time.
Awesome! He's the closest that Canada got to a domestic version of Mr. Rogers. I remember watching his show as a kid -- I was a little too old for it by the time we'd moved close enough to Canada to get CBC on our television, but my younger siblings watched it and I'd end up sitting in too..

A sadistic and humorous moderator would give you just that as a custom title: "permanently associated with something he said".

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2,790 of 21,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back