Tony Parker : Hifiman RE272
Carmelo Anthony: AKG K3003
Rajon rondo: FitEar F111
Paul Pierce: Vsonic GR07
Lebron James: JVC FX700

Fixed that for you

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #2,762 of 21,761
Quote:
Well, that just single-handedly shot down my argument.

Sorry. I didn't mean that mean-spiritedly, even if I ended up sounding glib anyway.

People all have different motivations for getting into DIY. For some it's to have a given thing at a lower price than the manufactured version, or because they want a slightly tweaked version. Some simply want to see what it's like to put something together. Not a whole lot of people are into designing equipment end-to-end from scratch, because that is hard -- most are content to work from cookbooks and kits, and modify the design if they feel motivated to.

Many of them do cop attitudes regarding commercial products. In some cases the disdain is justified (mass-market receivers do mostly suck; some boutique audio is crap in a nice box), but in many cases it's the self-riteousness many people feel when they work towards exactly what they want rather than accept what's available. Sometimes it gets annoying. It's usually the veteran DIYers who've developed an appreciation for the designs of mass-market goods. These days, since all mass-market and most mid-fi electronics are largely chips on PCBs, DIYers have looked to 1970s and 1950s designs as starting points.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2,763 of 21,761
I want a personalized caption beside my avatar too
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2,766 of 21,761
Quote:
What would you have it say?

I dunno.I'd probably go for something funny like " the only thing truly neutral in this world is Sweden. or there's the "how do you properly drive headphones without a steering wheel'. I'd go for humor the Sweden one would be my first choice.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,767 of 21,761
Quote:
I tried to stick with the people most prominent in the spotlight; Rondo, Parker, Pierce aren't "super"stars, and Westbrook is not quite there yet, either. However, these choices work as well.

Ah, true... though, they are actually superstars to people who follow the sport.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,768 of 21,761
Originally Posted by ardgedee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not a whole lot of people are into designing equipment end-to-end from scratch, because that is hard -- /

Challenges are fun, it's human nature.

DIY has many layers, I like 'finished DIY', high-end designs for cheap, like the "Asahi Texas AK4396" I used to recommend, some minor important tweaks... then suddenly it made me stop listening to everything else completely.

Remember this user?
100x100px-LS-1177bdb6_hizaki1.jpeg
  We had a lot of fun with that DAC.  I wonder if he reached the end of his sonic rainbow with it... I recall one day he said "it completes me".

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2,769 of 21,761
the only thing truly neutral in this world is Sweden /

That was only because Hermann Göring had a Swedish wife. =p

We even make spaces neutral by... removing them.  Eckliastikexpeditionsprotokollhandläggare.  Makes me confused in English sometimes.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,770 of 21,761
Hmph, a very interesting read from Mike of Headphonia. I've wondered about the Portaphile 627. The review also got me even more interested in the ALO Continental V2. Seems like that tube amp can't do any wrong on these forums. I'm surprised we don't see more keystrokes on these forums concerning the 627.

Some 627 specs taken from the site

Quote:
The Portaphile 627 uses three Burr Brown OPA627′s, one each for the Right-Left-Ground channels. Each opamp is then buffered with two Burr Brown BUF634s per channel for a total of 6 buffers. This allows the opamp to work efficiently at powering your headphones regardless of being large high impedance headphones or small low impedance current hungry earphones. The OPA627 is widely considered to be the best opamp for audio applications and is the reason I built the new Portaphile around this high end opamp.

Three Channel Design, Isolated Output Ground, Four Layer PCB, 3 x OPA627 , 6xBUF634′s, Jung Multiloop Topology, Powered by Single 3.7V Lithium Ion (Included, Rated for 500 Charges), Power Adaptor/Charger Included (5V), Runs 4 Hours on a full charge, Battery charges in 2.5 Hours when Ampliifer is charged while off, External Hi/Low Gain Switch (7/2), Small Size (2.824′x3.19″x.748″), Elna Cerafine

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is a Jung Multiloop Topology ??

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #2,771 of 21,761
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but what the heck is a Jung Multiloop Topology ??

Tangentsoft to the rescue again!

A Jung Multiloop adds output buffering both inside and outside the feedback loop. As for what that means, follow the links from the link above. I'm not sure how helpful the added detail will be to you; having not done much studying of amplifier circuits, the significance of many design decisions tend to be lost on me.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2,772 of 21,761
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2,773 of 21,761
I can't believe they just reviewed the Portaphile 627.

Jung Multiloop Topology is about how the feedback and buffers act within the amplifier.  You put buffer chips before the headphone output chip to increase the mA power.

I don't know how to write this without sounding like a total snob, I don't think that thing is the ultimate OPA627 amplifier, and how many people are using Tesla T1's for portable use?  It has four BUF634's in it... I'll try that setup now..., funny my extra BUF634's arrived two days ago and I'm listening to OPA627 now anyway!

Maybe I need to visit that Headfonia 'store' and compare amplifiers. =p

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,775 of 21,761
Quote:
I can't believe they just reviewed the Portaphile 627.

Jung Multiloop Topology is about how the feedback and buffers act within the amplifier.  You put buffer chips before the headphone output chip to increase the mA power.

I don't know how to write this without sounding like a total snob, I don't think that thing is the ultimate OPA627 amplifier, and how many people are using Tesla T1's for portable use?  It has four BUF634's in it... I'll try that setup now..., funny my extra BUF634's arrived two days ago and I'm listening to OPA627 now anyway!

Maybe I need to visit that Headfonia 'store' and compare amplifiers. =p

Exactly what sort of rig are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back