The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 6, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #19,381 of 21,763
Well, I got my Nexus 5. It's a great phone but I realise now that a 5 inch phone really demands two handed use. Not sure if I'm so keen on that...

I think you'll eventually get used to it. When I got my iPhone, I thought it was a bit small, and the Note was good size. Now, of course, it's the other way around. I think one of those things you get used to, and rarely look back once you are used to it.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #19,382 of 21,763
  I think you'll eventually get used to it. When I got my iPhone, I thought it was a bit small, and the Note was good size. Now, of course, it's the other way around. I think one of those things you get used to, and rarely look back once you are used to it.

For me, one of my overriding priorities is to get a phone that I am less likely to drop. I skipped the Xperia Z1, gorgeous as it is, just because it didn't feel secure in the hand. The Nexus 5 is very comfortable to hold in one hand but the second I instinctively try to use it in one hand I have to grip it in a way that seems dreadfully precarious.  

I'll give it a week but this is kind of a deal breaker for me... ever since I dropped and broke my first iPhone 3G I have a fear of dropping phones coupled with a desire to not bulk them up with ridiculous cases. Not a good combination.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #19,383 of 21,763
I think going to college you have a certain sense of freedom as you enter into the world at large, so even though money is tighter you have this desire to spend it on your whims more freely.

Also music consumption just goes hand-in-hand with college. I remember that was a time of great discovery for me, learning about artists and genres of which I was previously unawares. Went from thinking Radiohead, Beck, and Gorillaz were the only artists worth listening to, to listening to everything from Aesop Rock to The Zombies (WAY too many 'TOs" in that last sentence...).

Now I'm all nostalgic.

This is pretty much true of my experience also - I discovered lots of great music at uni - some of which I still listen to lol.

For me, one of my overriding priorities is to get a phone that I am less likely to drop. I skipped the Xperia Z1, gorgeous as it is, just because it didn't feel secure in the hand. The Nexus 5 is very comfortable to hold in one hand but the second I instinctively try to use it in one hand I have to grip it in a way that seems dreadfully precarious.  

I'll give it a week but this is kind of a deal breaker for me... ever since I dropped and broke my first iPhone 3G I have a fear of dropping phones coupled with a desire to not bulk them up with ridiculous cases. Not a good combination.

Interesting criteria - I drop my phone all the time - thank heavens it seems rather resilient.  I never gave thought to how easily grasped in the hand a phone is.

Actually that kind of reminds me of this iphone 5 ad...

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #19,384 of 21,763
I have to admit that the iPhone's audio quality is impressing me more and more.

I've been trying to say this across the forums for a bit now, albeit slowly. What headphone/earphone are you using it with? (I almost always browse the site on mobile so I don't see signatures and all, if you have it in there)

See above. :D

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #19,385 of 21,763
  Interesting criteria - I drop my phone all the time - thank heavens it seems rather resilient.  I never gave thought to how easily grasped in the hand a phone is.

Actually that kind of reminds me of this iphone 5 ad...

While I think the iPhone 5 screen size is starting to feel a tad small, a little increase like the Moto X screensize or the Xperia Z1S would be nice. Not not really enjoying the Nexus 5 size because even doing something like pulling down the notification drawer from the top of the screen is super awkward with one hand.

The other thing I'm not feeling is that Android doesn't quite seem as responsive as iOS (or Win 8 on my Surface Pro). This was something I noticed in the Nexus 7 while I had it and I still kind of feel it in the Nexus 5. I don't know if it's because the Nexus 5 still has the response lag issues of other Android phones or because of different animation cues or what, but there's just something missing for me... I don't quite know what it is but I just feel like I am not getting the same kind of feedback that I want to get. This is most obvious to me in the keyboard - the keyboard is nice and large and easy to type on but for some reason it just feels... I dunno. Less immediate.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #19,386 of 21,763
The creator that abandoned his thread thinks this month's avatar is worth not gagaing over anime. I should link to a local diabetes research and support organization too..

A huge thank you from me and my family to you and everyone else at head-fi that has so quickly jumped to this cause! I have never seen such an outstanding example of community support. I am truly speechless!

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #19,387 of 21,763
While I think the iPhone 5 screen size is starting to feel a tad small, a little increase like the Moto X screensize or the Xperia Z1S would be nice. Not not really enjoying the Nexus 5 size because even doing something like pulling down the notification drawer from the top of the screen is super awkward with one hand.

The other thing I'm not feeling is that Android doesn't quite seem as responsive as iOS (or Win 8 on my Surface Pro). This was something I noticed in the Nexus 7 while I had it and I still kind of feel it in the Nexus 5. I don't know if it's because the Nexus 5 still has the response lag issues of other Android phones or because of different animation cues or what, but there's just something missing for me... I don't quite know what it is but I just feel like I am not getting the same kind of feedback that I want to get. This is most obvious to me in the keyboard - the keyboard is nice and large and easy to type on but for some reason it just feels... I dunno. Less immediate.

I too prefer the keyboard and responsiveness of iOS.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #19,389 of 21,763
The creator that abandoned his thread thinks this month's avatar is worth not gagaing over anime. I should link to a local diabetes research and support organization too..

Thank you jgray! 
smile.gif
  And good luck to you and Tom with the RHA thing.  Also, never too late to return...
wink.gif

Which is why I'm targeting the iPhone 6S (though my Nexus One might not survive that much longer).

That's almost two years away! 
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #19,391 of 21,763
RHA thing? Who the what now? I genuinely thought I made it for that MA600 and MA750 review thing lol. Either you were talking about that SS01/FXT90 comparison thing or I really did get a review sample from RHA...

I threw up my name for the RHA review samples too but have heard nothing thus far an the winners were supposed to be announced today if I'm not mistaken. Oh well, hope the winners enjoy their new IEM's. It was actually a rather cool idea that RHA had that the person volunteering also nominate a fellow head-fier to receive a second set.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #19,392 of 21,763

I can relate to that dropping thing. Personally I use cases that are grippy for my smartphones. I can understand you not wanting to go that route, because, it does add bulk. Big smartphones become bigger. The Note 2 has a good sort of plastic backside that is very grippy. I've never dropped it. The iPhone does not have that grippy backside due to the aluminum, but as said, grippy cases take care of that problem.

My opinion on phone sizes is that it should feel natural and good to hold it. With the Note 2 I never reallygot that feeling, but I do with my wife's Galaxy S3. I do with the iPhone as well.

I've been trying to say this across the forums for a bit now, albeit slowly. What headphone/earphone are you using it with? (I almost always browse the site on mobile so I don't see signatures and all, if you have it in there)
See above.
biggrin.gif

I'm just using the X10i with it so far. I'm thinking of trying it out with my other headphones. But yeah, the sound is good, but I'm wondering, do you feel that an iPad can get louder than the 5S? (if you have experience with an iPad)..

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #19,393 of 21,763
RHA thing? Who the what now? I genuinely thought I made it for that MA600 and MA750 review thing lol. Either you were talking about that SS01/FXT90 comparison thing or I really did get a review sample from RHA...

Well, we dunno yet.  But I put in my nomination for you and Tom.  So here's to hoping! 
redface.gif

It was actually a rather cool idea that RHA had that the person volunteering also nominate a fellow head-fier to receive a second set.

Yeah, that is a cool idea I must say... it's better to give and to receive! 
smile.gif

What's everyone listening to these days?  I find myself losing track of space and time with Vondelpark's Seabed.  You could say it's mellow, because it is.  And you could say it's a good groove, because it is that as well.  But I'm also finding it very daydreamy, in the sense that I lose myself in it and temporarily leave this world.  Anybody else experiencing that? 

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #19,394 of 21,763
Double post alert! 
biggrin.gif
  Think you need a lot of electronic production tools to pull off Daft Punk?  Apparently not.  All you need is this acapella group (and some clever mixing skills):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back