The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Nov 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #19,396 of 21,761
Double post alert!  :D   Think you need a lot of electronic production tools to pull off Daft Punk?  Apparently not.  All you need is this acapella group (and some clever mixing skills):
All my friends on FB love these guys and for some reason...I find them unbearable. Particularly the guys...makes me want to punch them in the face so they will stop...actually stopping the video proved easier :)

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #19,398 of 21,761

What's everyone listening to these days?  I find myself losing track of space and time with Vondelpark's Seabed.  You could say it's mellow, because it is.  And you could say it's a good groove, because it is that as well.  But I'm also finding it very daydreamy, in the sense that I lose myself in it and temporarily leave this world.  Anybody else experiencing that? 

I just listened to Cannibal Ox for a while now. Cold Vein is such a ... "raw" album in a way, not only in lyrics but in ... everything. Not that I even understand most of it (I can guess though), but I get this feeling of being in darkness, in a cold world.

Still, it's one of the all-time greats when it comes to underground hiphop. I especially love this passage:

Straight out of the depths of hell
Reflect the sec and
Inhale the buddah wisdom
Envision and edit inscriptions of a Megalah spiritualism
Paint a picture from the spiritual
And seriously spit a lyric
That'll rip through a physical ligament
Trigger living in these city limits
Limited with no money, going through crazy minutes
Crazy thinking of back in the days
When blazing the lazy writtens
Before we was swallowing deuces, popping with gooses
And rocking the bubble gooses
Trouble lose kid, puffin a loosie
Hopping off Huffy, stealing Marvel comics and water uzis
All of us canoeing through sewers with juvenile maneuvers
Caught up in nooses from borders with troubleshooters
On corners where coppers will hop out of Dunkin Donuts
Popping they gun and shoot us
Or more of us aware
Thinking Rudy Giuli really don't give a **** about a mouli
Got me woozy, sipping Kalhuas losing my noodles
Screwed up in the two triple losers
Spraying it live, b-boy graffiti alpha
Out of rap-palooza

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #19,400 of 21,761
What's everyone listening to these days?  I find myself losing track of space and time with Vondelpark's Seabed.  You could say it's mellow, because it is.  And you could say it's a good groove, because it is that as well.  But I'm also finding it very daydreamy, in the sense that I lose myself in it and temporarily leave this world.  Anybody else experiencing that? 

I'm getting a similar feeling from Lights & Motion's "Reanimation" album. It was recommended to me and at first I found it shallow, repetitive and boring, but somehow it clicked after prolonged listening and now I think it's gonna end up among my year's favorites. Also, though being musically different, their songs have that Arcade Fire-esque way of starting out delicate and minimalist, only to build up the bombast and euphoria with each repetition, which I like very much.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #19,402 of 21,761
Hey guys, me and lee are going to be reviewing the RHA MA600 woot woot
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats! Youtube?

I just listened to Cannibal Ox for a while now. Cold Vein is such a ... "raw" album in a way, not only in lyrics but in ... everything. Not that I even understand most of it (I can guess though), but I get this feeling of being in darkness, in a cold world.

Still, it's one of the all-time greats when it comes to underground hiphop. I especially love this passage:

Straight out of the depths of hell
Reflect the sec and
Inhale the buddah wisdom
Envision and edit inscriptions of a Megalah spiritualism
Paint a picture from the spiritual
And seriously spit a lyric
That'll rip through a physical ligament
Trigger living in these city limits
Limited with no money, going through crazy minutes
Crazy thinking of back in the days
When blazing the lazy writtens
Before we was swallowing deuces, popping with gooses
And rocking the bubble gooses
Trouble lose kid, puffin a loosie
Hopping off Huffy, stealing Marvel comics and water uzis
All of us canoeing through sewers with juvenile maneuvers
Caught up in nooses from borders with troubleshooters
On corners where coppers will hop out of Dunkin Donuts
Popping they gun and shoot us
Or more of us aware
Thinking Rudy Giuli really don't give a **** about a mouli
Got me woozy, sipping Kalhuas losing my noodles
Screwed up in the two triple losers
Spraying it live, b-boy graffiti alpha
Out of rap-palooza

I have to add that this is probably the best underground hiphop album imo. I'm quite fond of Def Jux library in general, but Cannibal Ox just takes the cake. My second favorite is probably Mr Lif, but ironically my favorite song by Mr Lif is one that was made before his time with Def Jux:

MuppetFace, I'm actually thinking of you when I think of Can Ox. Not because I associate the two of you, but because Can Ox's lyrics can be rather cryptic, and I'm wondering if you have looked at them?

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #19,406 of 21,761
Funny you picked that album; I only have a couple albums from the Def Jux catalog; one of them is The Cold Vein, the other is a demo with CanOx, some early RJD2, Aesop Rock, and Company Flow.

Hey you! Long time no see! ...how ya been?

RJD2 and Aesop are pretty damned good themselves. I've got nothing against Company Flow, it's just nothing that stuck with me. I need to give them a proper listen again.

As for modern hiphop music, or underground hiphop, I haven't got a clue. What's hot? Sage Francis?

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #19,407 of 21,761
No idea. I hear about things and check them out, but I'm almost as far outside and away from the scene as humanly possible. Most hip-hop fails to click for me; which I think has more to do with not knowing the motifs and culture well enough to get everything that's going on... most of the modern streams of jazz are like that too. Most forms of art established enough to have an insider culture, for that matter.

Speaking of Def Jux, I keep meaning to check out El-P's and Killer Mike's Run the Jewels and slacking on it. That was last hot, what, in June or something? Yeah, I'm not tuned into things.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #19,408 of 21,761
I don't know whether this is new or old news either.

Deafheaven's Sunbather is something I've been listening to frequently.
According to the liner notes there are lyrics but to my ears it's mostly "Fyaaa! Fa ya fa FLAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"
It works, though. On the album, the singer becomes a counterpart in the audio texture. Almost like how the teakettle and turntable scratching was used in the Bomb Squad's work for Public Enemy.

On another board I frequent there was debate whether this was black metal, post-rock, or even emo. It's got some not particularly subtle shoegazing going on as well... though at some point when you're talking about heavily fuzzed guitars and looping chord changes, you're at the center of the Venn diagram of those styles.

They first won me over with a credible cover of Mogwai's "Punk Rock/Cody".
That's apparently William Faulkner standing in for Iggy Pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back