The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #18,332 of 21,761
Back in 2006 I had the NEC n412i imported from Japan which I absolutely adored.

At the time it was the world's thinnest camera phone. Also, at the time, most phones weren't smart. Still I loved the design and feel of this thing. Had a Boards of Canada ringtone and chibi Ayane from Dead or Alive as wallpaper awwww yeah. Swag.

Then the iPhone came out, and at the time I was enjoying the functionality of my Nano and kind on in this Apple mindset, so I decided to get one. Plus my neighbor at the time was this crazy Chinese guy who loved to "compete" with me when it came to buying the latest gadgets, so naturally I had to keep up with him. Smart phones were definitely a step up in the functionality department, and it was novel and convenient having all my iPod functionality there, and easier to use camera, web access that wasn't dinosauric all the time.

Over time though I really came to hate the iOS for some reason. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's a lot of little things combined with this overall... mood ... I get from it. Yes, I get certain moods from an OS, as if it were a physical building or actually architecture I was standing inside of. I just hate the feel of iOS. I hate the way it makes me feel. That's both in terms of how I feel using it, and also the connotations and associations I carry in my mind. LOL. I also hate the iPod Touch for the same reason and refuse to buy one. I still have all my classic iPods btw, from the first generation to the more recent 'classic' versions.

I just like Android more. Transferring to an HTC Incredible felt like a big relief, and that's been the phone I've used for like 3 years now (mostly because I don't care too much about phones atm). I'm thinking of finally switching to a Sony Xperia Z1. I miss my Sony phones. I used a Sony Ericsson back in high school and college. Honestly, I've given up on the prospect of using my phone for music because I don't like interruptions and the sound quality hasn't been up to par with most of the DAPs I could use, convenience aside. 

Sony's Android Walkmen (X, A, Z, and F series) give me better vibes and sound better to me compared to Apple's iOS music players. Honestly though, I'll always prefer some kind of mechanical feedback to touch screens. I hate the idea of touch screens on a fundamentally OCD level, of smearing the area you use for viewing with your finger. I don't care how 'intuitive' it is. The Astell & Kern players get it so right when it comes to form and functionality. Nothing else in the realm of daps comes close at the moment IMHO. The combination of touch screen and scroll knob on the side is brilliant and works fluidly. It's the closest anything has come to replacing Apple's older scroll wheels (which IMHO was one of the most ingenious UI setups of the last few decades) while maintaining the directness of a touch screen. If I could get that little AK scroll knob on the side of a Sony Walkman.... that would be my perfect player, playa.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #18,333 of 21,761
I quite agree with you MF. I love an ipod classic and hate touch screen. Phone or DAP.

The Samsung S4 is a monster but I am hesitating going back to a BlackBerry to get a real keypad. I prefer HTC in terms of design for Android phones, but after hearing bad feedback on the X I went with the S4.

The Ak120 UI is nice but you still need to use the touch screen and it gets all dirty. Besides, the screen is small so scrolling is a bit slow...the 901 is a clunky and unstable player but it sounds better and is fully mechanical with a scroll wheel thay is from another century but works...so far.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #18,334 of 21,761
The fingerprint sensor seems awesome to me though. Not having to unlock my phone 100 times a day would honestly be something I would pay for, especially when all I want to do is quickly check my phone for something random (ie: weather or Shazaming a cool song).

Sooo very much agree. Ever since 2 of my phones have been stolen, I have a word based unlock password and that gets annoying real fast. So it's a big feature for me.

And who cares if Motorola did it first. This is head-fi and all should know that implementation is key. :wink:
I don't care if it's Motorola or Samsung or HTC. It's not who does it first in my book, but who does it best. And if this is as good as they say and it disappears into the flow, I will be pleased.

Anyone else still shocked that they didn't announce the miniaturized ES9018 as the DAC?

I can't see buying a 5S unless your contract happens to be up and you simply need a phone. Personally, I'm done with Apple phones until they recognize that a good portion of the world has hands larger than you'd find on a typical 5th grader. I eagerly await the Nexus 5.

I have pretty big hands and I don't really like the fit of the Galaxy S in my hands. It doesn't allow the natural relaxed curve to hold it. I wouldn't mind an iPhone with a 4.3 or maybe even 4.5 inch screen if done well, but 4.7 is too much for me. HTC did a really giod job with the ergonomics with the angle of the sides on the ONE though. That's the only other phone I'd consider. And the Galaxy Note is like making a call on a VCR.

Back in 2006 I had the NEC n412i imported from Japan which I absolutely adored.

At the time it was the world's thinnest camera phone. Also, at the time, most phones weren't smart. Still I loved the design and feel of this thing. Had a Boards of Canada ringtone and chibi Ayane from Dead or Alive as wallpaper awwww yeah. Swag.

Then the iPhone came out, and at the time I was enjoying the functionality of my Nano and kind on in this Apple mindset, so I decided to get one. Plus my neighbor at the time was this crazy Chinese guy who loved to "compete" with me when it came to buying the latest gadgets, so naturally I had to keep up with him. Smart phones were definitely a step up in the functionality department, and it was novel and convenient having all my iPod functionality there, and easier to use camera, web access that wasn't dinosauric all the time.

Over time though I really came to hate the iOS for some reason. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's a lot of little things combined with this overall... mood ... I get from it. Yes, I get certain moods from an OS, as if it were a physical building or actually architecture I was standing inside of. I just hate the feel of iOS. I hate the way it makes me feel. That's both in terms of how I feel using it, and also the connotations and associations I carry in my mind. LOL. I also hate the iPod Touch for the same reason and refuse to buy one. I still have all my classic iPods btw, from the first generation to the more recent 'classic' versions.

I just like Android more. Transferring to an HTC Incredible felt like a big relief, and that's been the phone I've used for like 3 years now (mostly because I don't care too much about phones atm). I'm thinking of finally switching to a Sony Xperia Z1. I miss my Sony phones. I used a Sony Ericsson back in high school and college. Honestly, I've given up on the prospect of using my phone for music because I don't like interruptions and the sound quality hasn't been up to par with most of the DAPs I could use, convenience aside. 

Sony's Android Walkmen (X, A, Z, and F series) give me better vibes and sound better to me compared to Apple's iOS music players. Honestly though, I'll always prefer some kind of mechanical feedback to touch screens. I hate the idea of touch screens on a fundamentally OCD level, of smearing the area you use for viewing with your finger. I don't care how 'intuitive' it is. The Astell & Kern players get it so right when it comes to form and functionality. Nothing else in the realm of daps comes close at the moment IMHO. The combination of touch screen and scroll knob on the side is brilliant and works fluidly. It's the closest anything has come to replacing Apple's older scroll wheels (which IMHO was one of the most ingenious UI setups of the last few decades) while maintaining the directness of a touch screen. If I could get that little AK scroll knob on the side of a Sony Walkman.... that would be my perfect player, playa.

That phone is awesome. It gives me the same feeling as The Matrix Nokia did, the 8110 I think.

Man, I feel completely the opposite. I cannot even consider going back to the click wheel from a usability standpoint. The lack of search and jump to letter alone. I wouldn't mind having an extra programmable button for the music interface though.

The 3rd gen iPod does have a place in my heart though for separating the nav buttons out and just having be a scroll wheel.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #18,335 of 21,761
A_recording thanks for your comment regarding Bang and Olufsen H6. It seems that they might sound a bit more clinical than the Momentums then (which I really didn't care for)... they might sound like the PSB M4U 1s then... I like their looks quite a lot, but yeah if they are $500 that's a shame...

Thanks

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #18,336 of 21,761
Man, I feel completely the opposite. I cannot even consider going back to the click wheel from a usability standpoint. The lack of search and jump to letter alone. I wouldn't mind having an extra programmable button for the music interface though.

The 3rd gen iPod does have a place in my heart though for separating the nav buttons out and just having be a scroll wheel.

Even with a ton of music on an older iPod, it wasn't so bad jumping to a certain letter as it would basically scroll through the alphabet rather than tracks if you were fast enough. For me though it was never a big issue either way, as I got into the habit of uploading on a day by day basis. This stems from my having several terabytes worth of music, so I came to accept that carrying everything all of the time on a single DAP was impractical. I suppose I could load up a bunch of SD cards and relive the minidisc era, but honestly I've gotten to where I prefer having a smaller selection based on my day-to-day whims.

My favorite scroll wheel was actually the original mechanical one that would rotate, just because I like the rotary sensation. I like the mechanical feedback. With the later iterations the smooth-surface rubbing wasn't as satisfying, however it wasn't nearly as bad as rubbing a screen since the wheel actually had a somewhat nice "gliding over a freshly powdered surface" texture. Plus it was very slick integrating everything into the wheel, and the clicking was nice on the feedback front as well. Unfortunately over time all that rubbing changed the finish on the wheel, leaving behind a track stain.

I quite agree with you MF. I love an ipod classic and hate touch screen. Phone or DAP.

The Samsung S4 is a monster but I am hesitating going back to a BlackBerry to get a real keypad. I prefer HTC in terms of design for Android phones, but after hearing bad feedback on the X I went with the S4.

The Ak120 UI is nice but you still need to use the touch screen and it gets all dirty. Besides, the screen is small so scrolling is a bit slow...the 901 is a clunky and unstable player but it sounds better and is fully mechanical with a scroll wheel thay is from another century but works...so far.

IDK, I'm rather skeptical of the 901 as the HiFiMan DAPs I've used in the past have really not been my kinda thing. Particularly sonically.

Also I've gotten to the point where I look at DAPs holistically now, thanks in part to the iBasso DX100 which was a sort of 'lesson learned' moment for me. I just can't abide devices that are too unstable or have terrible UI or short battery life or don't appeal to me aesthetically. The Tera Player is a great example: even though it's purported to sound very nice, it's something I'd most likely never own myself these days. Regarding the DX100, I actually kinda like the fact that it's a brick. I really don't mind clunky, large form factors as they've got a Gameboy-esque charm for me. The stability, UI, volume glitches, etc. just killed it for me though.

The 901 is aesthetically interesting to me, as it reminds me of Sony's bigger scarier professional DAPs.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #18,337 of 21,761
Even with a ton of music on an older iPod, it wasn't so bad jumping to a certain letter as it would basically scroll through the alphabet rather than tracks if you were fast enough. For me though it was never a big issue either way, as I got into the habit of uploading on a day by day basis. This stems from my having several terabytes worth of music, so I came to accept that carrying everything all of the time on a single DAP was impractical. I suppose I could load up a bunch of SD cards and relive the minidisc era, but honestly I've gotten to where I prefer having a smaller selection based on my day-to-day whims.

My favorite scroll wheel was actually the original mechanical one that would rotate, just because I like the rotary sensation. I like the mechanical feedback. With the later iterations the smooth-surface rubbing wasn't as satisfying, however it wasn't nearly as bad as rubbing a screen since the wheel actually had a somewhat nice "gliding over a freshly powdered surface" texture. Plus it was very slick integrating everything into the wheel, and the clicking was nice on the feedback front as well. Unfortunately over time all that rubbing changed the finish on the wheel, leaving behind a track stain.

IDK, I'm rather skeptical of the 901 as the HiFiMan DAPs I've used in the past have really not been my kinda thing. Particularly sonically.

Also I've gotten to the point where I look at DAPs holistically now, thanks in part to the iBasso DX100 which was a sort of 'lesson learned' moment for me. I just can't abide devices that are too unstable or have terrible UI or short battery life or don't appeal to me aesthetically. The Tera Player is a great example: even though it's purported to sound very nice, it's something I'd most likely never own myself these days. Regarding the DX100, I actually kinda like the fact that it's a brick. I really don't mind clunky, large form factors as they've got a Gameboy-esque charm for me. The stability, UI, volume glitches, etc. just killed it for me though.

The 901 is aesthetically interesting to me, as it reminds me of Sony's bigger scarier professional DAPs.

I do not have Terabytes of music, maybe 200 or 250 gigs so I might be able to fit it all in 256g SD on the 901...but these cards are 500$. To me it is really tempting to have all music with me. But that is excluding 500 old cds that I have not re-ripped so have them only in mp3.

My 901 works just fine but I had some scares, for instance the gain working only on the left ear. And a guy had the 901 BLOW UP his re600...But I bought mine from Gavin who had it from Anakchan so maybe they have better QC on Japanese models :)

Anyways, I never tried Hifiman before because of the esthetics but this sounds incredible, better than all the other daps I have tried. As for the Tera, it is one of my favorite objects. I have a stealth version and find the object just beautifully made, I trully like the sound, and I find the navigation is just fine when like me you just listen to entire albums.

If you want the whole package, I guess the new AK player, in a few months will have that. If it looks and works like the ak120 and sounds like the 901, well I might throw caution to the wind and pay 2k for it...

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #18,338 of 21,761
I like the iPod wheel except for one thing....I'd rather have a dedicated volume control apart from the wheel. It's not usually an issue for me anymore though, because the two that I still have I usually use just at home via the line-out. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #18,339 of 21,761
I had several different versions of the iPod Classic between 2004-2010 until I got the iPhone because I got sick of carrying more than one device with me all the time. I like having one device that does everything. And no, I don't do portable amps either. Blasphemy, I know.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #18,342 of 21,761
The Merzbow graffiti:
183_merz2.jpg
The quote is “If noise means uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me”.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #18,343 of 21,761
Meh, I've grown weary of the smartphone wars that have raged across the web to the extent I mostly ignore all the hype when a handset comes out. I'm currently using a iPhone 5 and my folks have a old Xperia. Honestly, I don't see the hype surrounding either of the OS's. I'll probably stick with the iPhone 5 for another year or two and see where I go from there. I rarely use my phone for music and would much prefer to use my Classic. Right now the only thing I'm pining for is a DAP with tons of storage space, sounds off the hook and has an OS that doesn't suck monkey balls. I think I'm going to be waiting a long time before anyone finally makes a real hi-fi sounding DAP that has the storage I desire and a well done OS for ease of use. I'm rather disillusioned with the boutique DAP market as well as the mainstream DAP market.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #18,345 of 21,761
  Don't forget to throw in reasonably priced because that's another biggy.

Reasonably priced went out the window a few months ago
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back