The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #18,287 of 21,761
  http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/apple-iphone-liveblog-2013/

Is anyone following this? I'm starting to drool

Yes, and watching with no regrets over the phone I got a month ago.....the 1.7GHz quad-core, 2GB RAM, 5.5" 1080p, Jellybean equipped LG Optimus G Pro ($99 with contract). I actually was considering the iPhone 5 at that time, but it would have cost me $200 more....so the choice was easy.
smile.gif

Interesting the fingerprint reader being fussed over.....the original Motorola Atrix had one of those a couple years ago.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #18,289 of 21,761

Electric Boogaloo is so last year 
tongue.gif

I think those are bots that are picking random phrases out of the thread and reposting them. The broken image at the end is probably a spam attempt to go along with it. Saw a few of those types of posts (seemingly random strings from members who just signed up and broken images at the end) earlier a few pages back. Just don't reply to 'em and report 'em.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.  I have my suspicions that it may be an old threader under a new account.

Also, heard the RE600 today --- I like it. What's the fuss again? Okay, maybe we shouldn't get into that little row here...

No fuss... I just prefer the RE400.  For me, the RE-400 with good amplification, does wonders.  Put it this way, it's much easier for me to introduce a little warmth into the RE400, than to clean up the lower mids of the RE600 (which I find too thick for my liking) and introduce more sparkle up top.

Also, heard the Cardas EM today --- didn't hate it like I thought I would. It makes for a good home, desktop in-ear. Definitely not for outdoor use, though.

LOL, why did you think you'd hate it?  For me, the less than stellar showing is primarily due to the weight of the cable - and to a lesser degree the housings themselves.  I mean yes, I know, Cardas cables, but dang that's heavy!  I'd love to give it a go with the dedicated IEM jack on the WA7 - which is something I haven't done yet.  Going to see if I can get a loaner here for a few weeks.

Slightly laid back highs

the 600 isn't going to bombard you with details

Yeah, it's mainly these two things - along with the fact that I found the low end too thick to be considered well-articulated - that got to me.  Again, a large part of this boils down to my personal preferences, but I just can't say the RE600 met my expectations as an upgrade or a flagship.  I don't find the cost to be an issue really, seeing as how the RE400 is just a fantastic value proposition, in an almost anomalous way.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #18,290 of 21,761

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.  I have my suspicions that it may be an old threader under a new account.

Here's why I say it's a bot:

think so,I am sad because this thread does not include "Electric Boogaloo" in the title. 
23.gif

Is a direct quote of this:

I am sad because this thread does not include "Electric Boogaloo" in the title.

Dated from 9/11/12 (roughly one year ago to tomorrow). It's on the front page for reference. The poster / bot just added "think so" and attempted to put an image at the end like some kind of ad (but failed).

If you check their account, there's one other post. The first post is in the TMAC thread and is another direct quote that says they'll fix the first post to reflect changes made to the topics. That's the biggest tipoff because it makes zero sense as they can't edit the first post.

There was another post earlier in this thread that did the exact same thing: as their first post quote an earlier post out of context, making little sense, and attempted to add an image at the end. Also their username has "find me" in it like it's some kind of indexing program.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #18,291 of 21,761
Wow, you have a good memory! 
biggrin.gif
  Now the question becomes, to ban or not to ban...

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #18,293 of 21,761
Sep 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #18,294 of 21,761
  I feel like getting a new thing, but can't decide between some SR-007 MKI's, an Empirical Audio OR5*, or LFF's new Hifiman mods :/ .  I'm actually leaning toward the OR5 atm because I know that will be a part of whatever setups I have in the future, while the other things could be hit-or-miss.

... anyone have any thoughts?

* Maybe with the turbo clocks?

Never mind, I decided to be really impulsive and ordered an Auralic Vega.  My NAD M51's up for grabs if anyone here wants it.  A pair of HE-500's too since I never find myself using them anymore.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #18,295 of 21,761

Wow, you have a good memory! 
biggrin.gif
  Now the question becomes, to ban or not to ban...

How about a custom title? 
wink_face.gif

Romy already has one.  You mean augmenting it?  Like "A Special Snowflake w/a Kick-Ass Memory" or something of that nature?

Never mind, I decided to be really impulsive and ordered an Auralic Vega.  My NAD M51's up for grabs if anyone here wants it.  A pair of HE-500's too since I never find myself using them anymore.

biggrin.gif
  I wanna say something about your NADs being up for grabs, but - oh I just did.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #18,297 of 21,761
  Take 3D gaming for example. The issue of camera became extremely pressing early on in 3D gaming and questions arose like how much control should be given to the player, and some game designers actually hated the idea of not being able to frame sequences a particular way. Cut-scenes are thus employed to restore some of that narrative control, allowing for dramatic camera work and a more "cinematic" type of experience. Not just the camera, but the character or other subjects as well. That's always been an interesting point for me, because I'm a very kinetic-visual person and on screen movement is something I always pay a lot of attention to in directing, whether it's the camera or the subjects. Sometimes in games where the scripting and direction is mostly done in-game, it can be rather difficult to achieve a similar effect, and even games like BioShock Infinite will wrestle control away from the player from time to time to have Booker do something on cue or in a particularly stylized way. It's always a little tragic to have full control during one of these dramatic scenes and see a player basically hopping around like a lunatic, wasting ammo while NPCs try to talk, or even missing entire events because s/he's off staring at a reflective surface somewhere.

Hmm. I get where you are coming from. I'm in incredibly picky about motion direction and framing too, but I think this also comes down a lot to the director's skill and not the technology.

Ico or Shadow of the Colossus had incredible motion direction. No matter how stupid you were being as a player, running around jumping off walls or whacking things randomly with sticks, your characters would look beautifully weighted and everything felt fluid and natural. The moment you get on the horse in SoC and the camera swoops down and bumps along with the motion is cinematic. Again, maybe this is the invisible hand of the director guiding things, but I still think the standard motion in those games is as beautiful as the cutscene direction. A lot of third person action games are like that - Assassins Creed was also pretty wonderful in this regard.

I have no idea why most other games do not have a cinematic sense of framing or motion. L.A. Noire tried to implement a specific camera algorithm that would frame shots so that everything looked appropriately 'rule of thirds' kind of thing, but it would all fall apart when your main character went up to a payphone and suddenly an errant wide angle reduces him to a lonely awkward man. Meanwhile in FPS land Killzone 2 is the only game where I played where the motion of the character had a sense of visceral weight and inertia, and EVERYONE COMPLAINED because they wanted to execute lightning fast pirouettes in combat gear like in whatever murder death kill modern warfare simulator they are playing. Meanwhile in Source games everyone just glides along rails like ghosts on roller skates. It's awful.

Obviously camera controls are something that no one is ever going to agree on. What is acceptable in one generation (Resident Evil 4) is horribly dated and cumbersome in the next (Resident Evil 5). I think most players, when given the choice between having a functional camera and one that frames things in a 'nice looking' way, will declare they would rather have control over the camera instead of wrestling with it.

The industry has not reached a level of maturity where they get past the 'make everything shinier and sharper' idea of immersion. Some directors are looking to movies, but the best way to improve immersion in games is not to cargo cult movie concepts (ie: Heavy Rain). There is no established language or convention for motion in games (or the established convention sucks). It bugs me awfully.

My favourite game in regards to cut scenes was Deus Ex, in which you could plant proximity mines prior to entering a cutscene and then kill major enemies DURING THE CUTSCENE because they would simply stand next to the proximity mine blabbing about why they had to kill you.

I don't find the cost to be an issue really, seeing as how the RE400 is just a fantastic value proposition, in an almost anomalous way.

I don't think the cost is an issue either, but it kind of reveals something about the need for any company to put out a 'flagship' product even if they can't really think of any way to improve upon an already good design.

I think HiFiMan would have been better off making the RE-400 out of plastic and then the RE-600 out of metal. That way the price distinction would at least sort of make sense.

If you check their account, there's one other post. The first post is in the TMAC thread and is another direct quote that says they'll fix the first post to reflect changes made to the topics. That's the biggest tipoff because it makes zero sense as they can't edit the first post.

There was another post earlier in this thread that did the exact same thing: as their first post quote an earlier post out of context, making little sense, and attempted to add an image at the end. Also their username has "find me" in it like it's some kind of indexing program.

Shhhh. It's learning from us. When it starts posting futa pictures we are doomed.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #18,298 of 21,761

I don't find the cost to be an issue really, seeing as how the RE400 is just a fantastic value proposition, in an almost anomalous way.

I don't think the cost is an issue either, but it kind of reveals something about the need for any company to put out a 'flagship' product even if they can't really think of any way to improve upon an already good design.

I think HiFiMan would have been better off making the RE-400 out of plastic and then the RE-600 out of metal. That way the price distinction would at least sort of make sense.

Hey yeah, that's a good idea!  Maybe even gold metal.  Wait... this reminds me of something... oh right, new iPhone announcement. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #18,299 of 21,761

Hey yeah, that's a good idea!  Maybe even gold metal.  Wait... this reminds me of something... oh right, new iPhone announcement. 

I know Romy hates smartphone talk, but on a superficial note:

This would be an awesome trinity. Is champagne gold / white the new 'on trend' combo for electronics this season?

I think we will have an answer when Sennheiser releases a champagne / white Momentum On-Ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back