The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #18,046 of 21,761
XBA-H3 huh. Cautiously optimistic about sound. Soon to be saddened by price.

Some interesting tidbits regarding the H3:
  • Full range 16mm dynamic.
    • Assuming it's one of the 600-1000 series drivers.
  • Dual BA
    • Full Range, and
    • Super Tweeter
  • Sound design input from random music guys

Oh, and wow, that came out of the Sony left field...

It said in the thread that it would be $349. I think it seems like a fair price.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #18,047 of 21,761
It said in the thread that it would be $349. I think it seems like a fair price.

Ok wow, it does...
But that makes me less optimistic about the sound lol. Do you see what the current state of the market has done to me?

Having a full range BA and full range Dynamic is throwing me for a loop though. Input impedance is interestingly not like 5 Ohms though. :rolleyes:

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #18,048 of 21,761
Ok wow, it does...
But that makes me less optimistic about the sound lol. Do you see what the current state of the market has done to me?

Having a full range BA and full range Dynamic is throwing me for a loop though. Input impedance is interestingly not like 5 Ohms though. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'll be eagerly awaiting impressions on these. I just hope Sony makes these special.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #18,049 of 21,761
Another full range DD hybrid set up huh? INTERESTING.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #18,050 of 21,761
Ok wow, it does...

Having a full range BA and full range Dynamic is throwing me for a loop though. Input impedance is interestingly not like 5 Ohms though.
rolleyes.gif

Ha!
And I thought I was the only one... :wink:

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #18,051 of 21,761
Another full range DD hybrid set up huh? INTERESTING.

Ahh but one of the two BAs is also a full range BA working in tandem with the full range dynamic, like in the rest of the multi driver XBA models. An odd bird this one might be.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #18,052 of 21,761
So no crossover? AGAIN, INTERESTING? This'll either be some kinda technical juggernaut or a complete mess lol. So the Ex-1000 guy is behind em?

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #18,054 of 21,761
So no crossover? AGAIN, INTERESTING? This'll either be some kinda technical juggernaut or a complete mess lol. So the Ex-1000 guy is behind em?

Lol exactly, RE: bolded.

No idea about no crossover because the other BA is a super tweeter, I'm guessing handling the top end extension from 20,000 - 40,000hz. :rolleyes:

I sure hope the EX1000 guy is behind the madness. At least there's no J-Cord.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #18,055 of 21,761
Lmao. Oh man... Reminds me of the SA5K's supposed 110khz extension. Gotta love those super frequencies that no man nor beast can possibly attest to

Edit: oh man, I totally forgot about the J-cord. I kinda like looping the cable around my neck! Man I better get outta the K3K racket before people wise up to this slayer of giants...

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #18,057 of 21,761
  In the next few days I should be getting 3 different cases for my ipad, 2 sleeves/bags and 1 messenger bag.

and also, some Swedish snus...

Hehe. Snus is such an adorable word! It sounds like a sleepy monster. And those cans are so attractive...

Here in Australia they recently passed plain packaging laws which mean that all cigarettes must be sold in brown cardboard boxes of identical size and lettering, with giant mandated health warnings.

Put a picture of this packaging in spoiler tags. Honestly I chose the least confronting one because the rest of the packages are ghastly: http://www.yourhealth.gov.au/internet/yourhealth/publishing.nsf/content/plainpack-tobacco#.UifJXmRsZN6

I don't want to start a huge debate here but I'm not sure what I feel about the law or this area of law in general. On the one hand I do think there are ethical reasons why the sale of any addictive substance should be regulated and the promotion of addictive substances should be curtailed. On the other hand I think most people are aware of the health effects of smoking, and this is a bit of government overreach into an entirely legal industry. This must be especially grating for the tobacco industry considering that alcohol is a more of a destructive substance in Australian culture (we have a terrible binge drinking culture here) and doesn't see as much government regulation. Personally although I am not a smoker, tobacco or otherwise, I support the legalisation of a broad class of substances. Strangely, a bad experience I had in the past reinforced that view in my mind. Sometimes I worry legislation like this is a stepping stone to regulating even more substances. ie: sugar On the other hand I saw a morbidly obese man who was clearly losing his leg to diabetes at a supermarket counter with a trolley literally full of 2 litre bottles of Pepsi and nothing else.

As for the law itself, it's been in place for a while now and some of the effects have been:
1. People think their cigarettes taste worse with the new packaging
2. People are switching to cheaper cigarettes
3. People are buying (legal) box sleeves for their boxes
4. People are quitting in higher numbers

As for messenger bags, I love my DSLR sling bag:

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-dslr-pro-sling-pack

It fits an iPad, a pair of headphones, my camera and a drink bottle! :D

I think all of Incase's stuff is durable and well made, and subtle enough to match most of my boring monochrome wardrobe. 

This thread is confusing. One post is about art, the next post is about a headphone, the next is about tobacco lol

This is because the open secret of the thread is that every member posting here is Muppetface under a different forum handle.

Sometimes I'll go through 30 or so pages I've missed and think gee, for a thread that's more or less associated with me, it sure doesn't feel like it at times. Like if I came across people talking about some of this stuff "IRL" I'd probably walk away. Other people may find the discussions about art, gender, sociology, and hobby meta analysis tedious, but personally I enjoy these subjects. They're the sort of things I'd talk about with people I liked. So you'll have to begrudge me every once in a while. It's indulgent, sure, but I like to use this thread for such purposes once in a while.

The funny thing is, it's actually been a while since we've had this type of discussion so far as I know. Just last week someone was complaining about a lack of thoughtful discussion here, saying he missed the time when the thread was younger and it happened more regularly. You can't please everyone. Some people are going to want such discussion, others not. Personally I find the multiple pages of food and operating system discussion boring. The topics of conversation seem to cycle over time either way. 

I like our discussions too. That's why I mostly stick to this thread. But its odd to see what triggers the most avid discussion.

As for headphones I saw this in the IEM section:

http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=8813&NewsAreaId=2

I've been waiting for an oppurtunity to use this gif. I think Romy will appreciate it!

But yes this must have been announced at the IFA conference and I missed it. There is also a new, seemingly flagship headphone announced at IFA - and the brief shots I saw of it seemed to suggest to me a premium version of the MDR-1R.

I say that with some confidence because the Sony rep I keep in contact with has teased something I would be all over like white on rice coming up soon, and considering how I kind of have repeatedly expressed a desire for a better built MDR-1R I think he hit the nail on the head.

Those IEMs are really out of the left field though. I really hope that they are made out of some kind of metal. Fingers crossed.

No idea about no crossover because the other BA is a super tweeter, I'm guessing handling the top end extension from 20,000 - 40,000hz.
rolleyes.gif

I sure hope the EX1000 guy is behind the madness. At least there's no J-Cord.

I hope there is no crossover. As many complications as having no crossover seems to introduce I don't love the sounds of things I've heard with crossovers either.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #18,059 of 21,761
I hope such services don't charge you a lot for their service my friend. Surely you must have similar bags available in Malaysia?

I'm sure there are similar bags in Malaysia, but three problems: 1) finding it, 2) my laziness at looking for it, 3) Malaysians hate premium products for whatever reason, but also hates nont premium brands when "it matters", like smart phones. Laptops/tablets on the other hand, only have Apple and... nothing else. You're either ging with the silver gestalt or not. I've had trouble surveying for high end ultrabook recently for my dad and holy crap, high end models of ultrabook is a hard sell in a market like Malaysia.

Besides, if push comes to shove, I'll buy from amazon US along with other items that I wanted to reduce shipping costs. But that would probably hit my CD budget very hard.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #18,060 of 21,761
Re: XBA H3, on the one hand, I'm glad that they didn't price it like it's made for people that craps money and uses $100 bills as TP, on the other hand people will have their expectations lowered because of the $100-as-TP market. I mean, looking at most other high end models from companies, all of them are at least >$600 (padon my ignorance). On my personal, ethereal third hand, it's a hybrid, which means that it probably doesn't have the same sound signature as Chiri-chan (interesting, I have Chiri-chan in my SwiftKey library...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back