The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 5, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #18,076 of 21,761
@Coq. I have no idea...the one my swedish gf took at that time
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahh, okay then. Yeah, as said, snus can be somewhat hard to try for a beginner. The nicotine goes into your body in a very different way and for a longer period of time.

Hehe. Snus is such an adorable word! It sounds like a sleepy monster. And those cans are so attractive...

Here in Australia they recently passed plain packaging laws which mean that all cigarettes must be sold in brown cardboard boxes of identical size and lettering, with giant mandated health warnings.

Put a picture of this packaging in spoiler tags. Honestly I chose the least confronting one because the rest of the packages are ghastly: http://www.yourhealth.gov.au/internet/yourhealth/publishing.nsf/content/plainpack-tobacco#.UifJXmRsZN6

I don't want to start a huge debate here but I'm not sure what I feel about the law or this area of law in general. On the one hand I do think there are ethical reasons why the sale of any addictive substance should be regulated and the promotion of addictive substances should be curtailed. On the other hand I think most people are aware of the health effects of smoking, and this is a bit of government overreach into an entirely legal industry. This must be especially grating for the tobacco industry considering that alcohol is a more of a destructive substance in Australian culture (we have a terrible binge drinking culture here) and doesn't see as much government regulation. Personally although I am not a smoker, tobacco or otherwise, I support the legalisation of a broad class of substances. Strangely, a bad experience I had in the past reinforced that view in my mind. Sometimes I worry legislation like this is a stepping stone to regulating even more substances. ie: sugar On the other hand I saw a morbidly obese man who was clearly losing his leg to diabetes at a supermarket counter with a trolley literally full of 2 litre bottles of Pepsi and nothing else.

As for the law itself, it's been in place for a while now and some of the effects have been:
1. People think their cigarettes taste worse with the new packaging
2. People are switching to cheaper cigarettes
3. People are buying (legal) box sleeves for their boxes
4. People are quitting in higher numbers

As for messenger bags, I love my DSLR sling bag:

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-dslr-pro-sling-pack

It fits an iPad, a pair of headphones, my camera and a drink bottle! :D

I think all of Incase's stuff is durable and well made, and subtle enough to match most of my boring monochrome wardrobe. 

This is because the open secret of the thread is that every member posting here is Muppetface under a different forum handle.

I like our discussions too. That's why I mostly stick to this thread. But its odd to see what triggers the most avid discussion.

I've been waiting for an oppurtunity to use this gif. I think Romy will appreciate it!

But yes this must have been announced at the IFA conference and I missed it. There is also a new, seemingly flagship headphone announced at IFA - and the brief shots I saw of it seemed to suggest to me a premium version of the MDR-1R.

I say that with some confidence because the Sony rep I keep in contact with has teased something I would be all over like white on rice coming up soon, and considering how I kind of have repeatedly expressed a desire for a better built MDR-1R I think he hit the nail on the head.

Those IEMs are really out of the left field though. I really hope that they are made out of some kind of metal. Fingers crossed.

I hope there is no crossover. As many complications as having no crossover seems to introduce I don't love the sounds of things I've heard with crossovers either.

Yeah the cans are very good looking and inviting.

As for the packaging of the cigarettes, we've had that idea up for discussion over here as well. I can see the point, especially if it helps, however I can't help but to feel a bit against it. I don't want a debate about either, but I wonder why they don't have similar pictures and texts on wine, liquor and beer bottles. Obviously I'd be against it too (grown ups should be able to make grown up decisions and take the consequences), but admittedly it feels a bit hypocritical.

I like incase. I was about to buy one of their ipad cases, however, I changed my mind and went for the STM Skinny and Switcheasy Canvas. I liked that bag though.

I'm sure there are similar bags in Malaysia, but three problems: 1) finding it, 2) my laziness at looking for it, 3) Malaysians hate premium products for whatever reason, but also hates nont premium brands when "it matters", like smart phones. Laptops/tablets on the other hand, only have Apple and... nothing else. You're either ging with the silver gestalt or not. I've had trouble surveying for high end ultrabook recently for my dad and holy crap, high end models of ultrabook is a hard sell in a market like Malaysia.

Besides, if push comes to shove, I'll buy from amazon US along with other items that I wanted to reduce shipping costs. But that would probably hit my CD budget very hard.

Right. I will snap photos of it when I get it, for you, so you know whether or not it's a bag for you. Even though it's a smaller sized bag than what you want, the quality and such has to be the same.

nanny state

Yeah, I have to agree with that. I'm not sure I like nannying all that much, but admittedly, Sweden's a big one when it comes to it. It's become better lately though.

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #18,079 of 21,761

I've been waiting for an oppurtunity to use this gif. I think Romy will appreciate it!

But yes this must have been announced at the IFA conference and I missed it. There is also a new, seemingly flagship headphone announced at IFA - and the brief shots I saw of it seemed to suggest to me a premium version of the MDR-1R.

I say that with some confidence because the Sony rep I keep in contact with has teased something I would be all over like white on rice coming up soon, and considering how I kind of have repeatedly expressed a desire for a better built MDR-1R I think he hit the nail on the head.

Those IEMs are really out of the left field though. I really hope that they are made out of some kind of metal. Fingers crossed.

I hope there is no crossover. As many complications as having no crossover seems to introduce I don't love the sounds of things I've heard with crossovers either.

I've seen that .gif around over the years, and I love it.

Gotta say I'm kinda excited over the XBA-H3, but then I'm a Sony fan, so no surprise there I guess. I still use the EX line now and then (especially the EX800ST and my personal fav the EX700) despite having IEMs that cost three or four times as much, and I always felt they offered good sound at their price points. Still I would be feeling even more excited if the price was announced in the 400-500 range. Yeah it's tremendously silly, but I'll go ahead own up to it. Certainly price doesn't automatically equate to sound quality---just look at the HiFiMan Waterline---but with a company like Sony, I sort of see it as a gauge of their confidence. As for my confidence, well, the fact that it's [supposedly?] made by the mind behind the EX1000 is reassuring.

Also I'm kind of amused that people are surprised over how weird the H3 seems to be. Sony makes weird stuff. I'd be saddened and disappointed if they just made some low-mid-hi BA with crossover.

Speaking of crossover, I think the quality varies tremendously depending on its implementation, but generally I'm of the mind that it's preferable to not use it in IEMs.

@MuppetFace
I've tried lozenges and the patch and both failed miserably. I've considered Champex but decided against it because of the crazy expense for the pills which are not covered by the Canadian Medical Insurance and the fear of some of the side effects. When on the patches and lozenges I suffered crazy side effects such as rash, nausea and dizziness. If you're looking to substitute cigarettes have you considered giving vaping a try? It's been 6 weeks for me and I haven't touched one cigarette in that time. Yes I'm still a nicotine addict but at least I've gotten rid of 500 bad chemicals and substituted it with something that has only one or two. SNUS isn't as bad as smoking but you're still opening yourself up to cancer, especially throat and stomach cancer. Think about it, it might be a viable alternative for you. PM me if you would like some more info on what to look into and where to get the better manufactured juices.

My relationship with cigarettes is an odd one, and I'm not sure you could say I'm addicted in the traditional sense. I'll go for months without one, and then suddenly decide to start back up again. Usually when I'm extraordinarily stressed out and need an oral fixation (I hate gum). I think the most intense period of smoking for me was several years back when I'd do it a few times every day for three months. Then I quit for two years, and started up again once every day for a few weeks, quite for a few months, then went back to smoking once every few days for like a month or so, quit, etc. etc. This year I've probably smoked maybe four out of these nine months, usually once every few days (I'd say on average once every three days). First toward the beginning of the year (Jan-Feb) and then again more recently (June-July).

I think I'm addicted to the idea of smoking more than anything. I do enjoy the flavor though, especially kreteks aka clove cigarettes. That's usually what I'll smoke, and I've heard they're harsher than "regular cigarettes," so I guess it's good I don't do it that regularly.

I do have an addictive personality tho. Just look at the way I collect stuff. I've also been addicted to other drugs in the past, especially stimulants. Everything from caffeine all the way up to cocaine. I was a crazy kid believe it or not.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #18,080 of 21,761
Just wondering what the issue/s with crossovers in IEM's is/are?

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #18,081 of 21,761
  Just wondering what the issue/s with crossovers in IEM's is/are?

Well, when you have multiple drivers crossovers are supposed to help them do their specific roles while working together better. Only sometimes it doesn't quite work out in practice, and you end up with an IEM that sounds disjointed, like the various parts aren't cooperating in tandem quite like they should be.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #18,082 of 21,761
Gotta say I'm kinda excited over the XBA-H3, but then I'm a Sony fan, so no surprise there I guess. I still use the EX line now and then (especially the EX800ST and my personal fav the EX700) despite having IEMs that cost three or four times as much, and I always felt they offered good sound at their price points. Still I would be feeling even more excited if the price was announced in the 400-500 range. Yeah it's tremendously silly, but I'll go ahead own up to it. Certainly price doesn't automatically equate to sound quality---just look at the HiFiMan Waterline---but with a company like Sony, I sort of see it as a gauge of their confidence. As for my confidence, well, the fact that it's [supposedly?] made by the mind behind the EX1000 is reassuring.

Also I'm kind of amused that people are surprised over how weird the H3 seems to be. Sony makes weird stuff. I'd be saddened and disappointed if they just made some low-mid-hi BA with crossover.

Yup. But maybe, just hopefully maybe, they're setting that price point to avoid the EX1000/PS3 type of wait till it goes down response. On one hand, people often associate higher prices with a company's self assessment of quality vs the market. On the other, no ones wants to pay that premium for a "run of the mill" consumer company. They want to get something niche at those price points in a given product's market. It's almost like an upside down Catch-22.

What do you think of the crossover in the 1plus2?

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #18,083 of 21,761
@Muppet...I am an addicted person too from cigs to sugar to audio to compulsive purchasing to substances to sport. I am trying to limit to audio and sport in order to live past 40...I think Cocaine is the worse for addicted personalities, worse than more serious drugs. Especially jumpy and anxious addicted personalities.

For all and any Park Chan Wook lovers ouy there, I just watched Stoker with my mom who is visiting us in China. Sublime movie esthetically. Some fun stuff about the credits: Wentworth Miller, the former lead of Prison Break actually changed career and wrote the scenario of this movie. And also Judith Godreche, a very well known French actress play a very very small role in it for no reason that I can think of except that maybe she has friends in the production.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #18,084 of 21,761
I'd love to have a scrip for Adderall, but it isn't worth buying illegally.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #18,085 of 21,761

I've seen that .gif around over the years, and I love it.

Speaking of crossover, I think the quality varies tremendously depending on its implementation, but generally I'm of the mind that it's preferable to not use it in IEMs.

My relationship with cigarettes is an odd one, and I'm not sure you could say I'm addicted in the traditional sense. I'll go for months without one, and then suddenly decide to start back up again. Usually when I'm extraordinarily stressed out and need an oral fixation (I hate gum). I think the most intense period of smoking for me was several years back when I'd do it a few times every day for three months. Then I quit for two years, and started up again once every day for a few weeks, quite for a few months, then went back to smoking once every few days for like a month or so, quit, etc. etc. This year I've probably smoked maybe four out of these nine months, usually once every few days (I'd say on average once every three days). First toward the beginning of the year (Jan-Feb) and then again more recently (June-July).

I think I'm addicted to the idea of smoking more than anything. I do enjoy the flavor though, especially kreteks aka clove cigarettes. That's usually what I'll smoke, and I've heard they're harsher than "regular cigarettes," so I guess it's good I don't do it that regularly.

I do have an addictive personality tho. Just look at the way I collect stuff. I've also been addicted to other drugs in the past, especially stimulants. Everything from caffeine all the way up to cocaine. I was a crazy kid believe it or not.

Clove, from what I understand, is by far harder on the lungs then just normal tobacco. The off and on smoking and the addicted to the idea part I completely understand. I've been clean for days/weeks/months only to revert back to smoking for whatever reason. What a lot of people don't seem to take into account is that the nicotine addiction is only a small part of the addiction. Personally, I think the mental addiction is a far harder battle to win. Give what I suggested some thought. Vaping isn't what I would deem healthy but it is far healthier then clove cigarettes and snus and has kept me away from the smokes for almost two months without a single thought of going back. I'm sure if you looked around you would probably be able to find an e-juice you liked that would come close to simulating the taste of your favorite brand. Also, there's enough vaping forums out there you can browse around to avoid the crapper more badly manufactured e-juices. If you decide to give it a shot try and find a vendor who doesn't use propylene glycol in their juices and if you decide to go the clearomizer route get a non plastic clearomizer. Keeping an eye open for those two factors greatly increases your already increased odds against health issues in the future.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #18,086 of 21,761
While we're talking about this stuff, I'm fairly addicted to caffeine and sugar and seldom do anything productive unless I at least have some ritalin in me (vivance or adderall are preferred).  I've never been diagnosed with ADD though since I probably don't have it (going off what I've seen of people who do) and because I almost never see doctors about things >_> .  Is it possible to be addicted to meat?  I want burgers any time I get stressed out.  It doesn't make any sense since eating a lot makes me feel like ****.  I also share a general thing addiction, I just love owning them. 

As far as other things go, it's never been very serious for me.  I used to like prescription pain pills during a somewhat messy period of my life, but never had a consistent supply of them (thank god) and, a few months ago, was into special brownies, but that was more "not like I'm doing anything else tonight," than "oh god I need one of these!"  I mean, I've had no issues not partaking as of late since I'm going to start looking for a new job soon.  I don't really get people who use it to be social or whatever; it always made me want to be alone and do, um, personal things.  My mother seems to run off it :/

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #18,087 of 21,761
The holy trinity for me used to be a little "herb", 2 or 3 hydrocodone pills, and a  glass of either Jim Beam bourbon or Crown Royal rye whiskey, with an ice cold Coke or Pepsi on the side. A lovely way to drift away from the day's troubles....
atsmile.gif

I have fond memories of that type of thing despite having been completely sober for nearly six years now. Despite what they told my boss in AA meetings (so he says), I can think back on the fun I used to have back then without feeling like I want to go back to it.  Apparently the 12 day hospital stay I had (you guessed it, six years ago) was enough of a wake-up call to keep me clean. The one thing I certainly do not miss is smoking cigarettes, which I stopped doing at the same time. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #18,088 of 21,761
@Muppet...I am an addicted person too from cigs to sugar to audio to compulsive purchasing to substances to sport. I am trying to limit to audio and sport in order to live past 40...I think Cocaine is the worse for addicted personalities, worse than more serious drugs. Especially jumpy and anxious addicted personalities.

For all and any Park Chan Wook lovers ouy there, I just watched Stoker with my mom who is visiting us in China. Sublime movie esthetically. Some fun stuff about the credits: Wentworth Miller, the former lead of Prison Break actually changed career and wrote the scenario of this movie. And also Judith Godreche, a very well known French actress play a very very small role in it for no reason that I can think of except that maybe she has friends in the production.

Finally got around to renting that the other day. Pretty big fan of Park and I thought it was great. Matthew Goode is just terrifyingly creepy, almost inhuman, reminding me of Michael Fassbender's David character from Prometheus.
Wanna get around to checkin out The Chaser as well, which is supposed to be another great Korean revenge flick

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #18,090 of 21,761
What do you think of the crossover in the 1plus2?

I think the 1Plus2 is very cohesive. Bass keeps up and never comes across as detached to me. Then again the K3003 is said to have these issues, but I can't hear them on my pair try as I might. Which is interesting because I do recall it being slightly noticeable on a loaner pair I tried prior.

By the end of this year I plan on getting a pair of L05QD from Canal Works. These are interesting to me because they use four full range drivers.

I'm actually really psyched about the Sony XBA-H3, maybe as much as I am over the Shure SE846. The XBA line has been underwhelming for me overall despite my still wanting to hear the XBA-40. The H3 on the other hand actually looks like an EX model, judging from the pictures I've seen. The thought of a new EX model, or something up to that caliber, is what gets me. I'm such a Sony fangirl.

Speaking of Sony's XBAs, I've got a project in the pipeline involving some spare drivers and a custom re-shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back