The Descent
Aug 7, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
23 different kinds of awesome smothered in win.

i saw this last night, and loved it. i like good horror films and this one can take it's place along side the classics.

Aug 7, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 34
I saw it yesterday to. It was good.

I also saw previews for The Grudge 2, Saw 3, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning.

Aug 7, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 34
the movie's best points are the realistic characters, the involvment in their lives, the climbing scenes, the almost pitch-black cinematography, the true suspense, a great monster(s), and jolting shocks and gore: all very well done. hats off to the director.

Aug 7, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 34
This one looks really good, thanks for the reviews... now I just have to convince my wife it's a chick flick
wink.gif

btw - How did the preview for the Texas Chainsaw prequel look?

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
This one looks really good, thanks for the reviews... now I just have to convince my wife it's a chick flick
wink.gif

btw - How did the preview for the Texas Chainsaw prequel look?

it is a total chick flick--essentially the only males are the creatures. but very gorey and disturbing. not for non-horror film fans or kids: bodies get torn apart and consumed, characters are impaled, throats are slashed (complete with gurgling scream), and fight for their lives in a pool of gore and blood.

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 34
i saw this on dvd (original british cut) and heard that the US theatrical had a different ending. is that true?

and yes, very good film. scariest horror film i've seen since i can remember.

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 34
another nod here. go watch the descent, its one of the best films i've seen this year. you got horror, adventure, suspense, action, drama.... all crammed into the cave and 6 chicks... the story make sense, the monsters are believable (my biggest peeve), and the character's all played a different but intricate role. the only complaint i have for this movie is that its a little hard to tell apart the girls. granted you got 1 asian chick, 1 short hair girl, 1 older looking girl, and 3 long hair blondes... and inside a pitch dark atmosphere, the 3 blonde girls are just too hard to tell apart...

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
So is this movie really as good (or nearly as good) as Alien, as the advertising claims?

alien is still better. but the descent is within 10 points of alien (on a top 100).

i meant to mention the descent owes a lot to movies like alien, and the shining.

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
i saw this on dvd (original british cut) and heard that the US theatrical had a different ending. is that true?

Yeah, they just edit the last few seconds of the original out (IIRC)

*Spoilers*

The original had her waking up (still trapped in the cave) right after seeing whats-her-faces ghost, which means she only dreamed she escaped. (and it's implied there are a pack those-whats-its bout ready to jump her)

The US version just ends with her seeing the ghost. (which implies she did escape and live, but is probably haunted forever or something)

*Spoilers end*

As for the film itself, I thought it was alright. One of the better horror movies out this year, but not spectacular, unless you can relate. (I've never gone cave-divin')

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
it is a total chick flick--essentially the only males are the creatures. but very gorey and disturbing. not for non-horror film fans or kids: bodies get torn apart and consumed, characters are impaled, throats are slashed (complete with gurgling scream), and fight for their lives in a pool of gore and blood.

So, not a G-Rated Disney Movie?
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
So, not a G-Rated Disney Movie?
wink.gif

hardly. although "herbie's chainsaw massacre" was pretty intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back