The Descent
Dec 28, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 34
Bought the DVD based on high praise and I liked it pretty well. Definitely one of the better horror flicks of recent. I could have done with a different cast... the Juno character was actually the only one I liked but they were all ok after they started down the cave it was really only in the beginning that I was bothered by them.

So this may be a dumb question but what was the deal with the end?

Spoiler Warning!
So they made quite a scene of her escaping but then she wakes up still in the cave a dreaming of her daughter?? She was resting her head on the steering wheel in the truck before the dream so which was true?? Did she escape or not?

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought the DVD based on high praise and I liked it pretty well. Definitely one of the better horror flicks of recent. I could have done with a different cast... the Juno character was actually the only one I liked but they were all ok after they started down the cave it was really only in the beginning that I was bothered by them.

So this may be a dumb question but what was the deal with the end?

Spoiler Warning!
So they made quite a scene of her escaping but then she wakes up still in the cave a dreaming of her daughter?? She was resting her head on the steering wheel in the truck before the dream so which was true?? Did she escape or not?

Saw this one a few months ago and just purchased the unrated version on DVD. Love it, great movie, and easily one of the best to come along in ages. Kudos to the poster who recommended "Dog Soldiers" as well, one of the better werewolf movies.

I hear there is a sequel in the works, not sure where they will go with it, but sounds interesting. Knowing how well most sequels do, however, could turn out awful. Yet another team goes into the cave, or is someone going in searching for them?

wakeride74, in answer to your question....

SPOILER FOLKS!!!!

She dreamed the escape.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 34
That's the unfortunate thing with most sequels is it ends up being the same thing over again. There are few exceptions... Aliens comes to mind but that should have ended that series unless the 3rd and final installment was a complete invasion of the Alien planet to wipe them out or vise versa.

I heard TCM: A New Beginning was pretty good and that is due out Jan 16th.

I'll have to check out Dog Soldiers, good werewolf movies are few and far between... American Werewolf in London being my favorite.

Spoiler Warning!

Back to The Descent, I really liked how they built up not letting the viewer see the crawlers until midway thru and then not going overboard with unnecessary shots for shock value. It all worked pretty well... maybe the sequel would be the crawlers meeting up with the monsters from The Cave... lame but fun
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 34
I'm being careful to avoid any posts that include "spoiler" in them (so thanks for the spoiler warnings, guys).

Quick question: Is this movie in any way based on the book The Descent by Jeff Long? I read that on eBook (on my PDA), and really enjoyed it. To help me answer that question (assuming you know nothing about the book), did the movie have subterranean creatures called hadals?

If you haven't read the book, it's a good, spooky read.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm being careful to avoid any posts that include "spoiler" in them (so thanks for the spoiler warnings, guys).

Quick question: Is this movie in any way based on the book The Descent by Jeff Long? I read that on eBook (on my PDA), and really enjoyed it. To help me answer that question (assuming you know nothing about the book), did the movie have subterranean creatures called hadals?

If you haven't read the book, it's a good, spooky read.

Based upon the Amazon description of the book, I'd have to guess any similarities of title and story between movie and book are coincidental. That, or the movie is the most unbelievably loose adaptation of any novel I know of. The creatures in the movie are never named, btw.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quick question: Is this movie in any way based on the book The Descent by Jeff Long? I read that on eBook (on my PDA), and really enjoyed it. To help me answer that question (assuming you know nothing about the book), did the movie have subterranean creatures called hadals?If you haven't read the book, it's a good, spooky read.

Based on the Amazon description I'd say that sounds more like the movie The Cave but still slightly different. The Descent movie sounds different enough from the book you read to be worth a rent. I believe the creatures in The Descent are called crawlers... a sort of carnivorous cave dwelling human-like mutations.

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 34
The cave is a crappy movie IMO, little depth and poor acting/script. The Descent is waaaay better all-round. I really enjoyed it, high praise as I find it increaasingly difficult to class most 'horror' as little more than bad comedies. They are rarely scary or suspenseful. So, like Alien, this is one of those rare films that actually fits the genre title.

Dec 28, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cave is a crappy movie IMO, little depth and poor acting/script. The Descent is waaaay better all-round. I really enjoyed it, high praise as I find it increaasingly difficult to class most 'horror' as little more than bad comedies. They are rarely scary or suspenseful. So, like Alien, this is one of those rare films that actually fits the genre title.

Agreed, The Cave was amusing but certainly not scary... ok for a rental but not worthy of $10 at the theatre by a long shot!

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 34
I've seen this movie a while back on a Dutch music festival. It was on a huge screen and it was close to midnight so that made the experience complete.

I like the ambiance of the movie, the movie just felt good. It's one of those things you don't want to happen when you visit a cave
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #26 of 34
Damn, I watch this movie on and off, playing with my son so I never know how good is it. I knew the plot and the end so I guess I'll never know how good it actually is
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 34
aftermathgenesisvg5.jpg

"Aftermath"
the last best horror flick i seen.

Im right into my horror's big time.
my "uncut" dvd collection is silly, lost count.

I just can't get into the new horror's and 9/10 of the remakes are less than....

others horror's i suggest.

shivers6nw.jpg

schramm2copy3pg.jpg

schramm53zg.jpg

a bit one sided yes, but get back to set design, directing, props ect.

Help me please... in desperate need of a 1337 new horror Fillum..

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 34
That was a really good read and the hadels were great.Making them the basis for the Gargolye legends was a good idea.I loved the whole world within a world idea.I think it would make a great movie.

This was in response to Judes post about the book The Descent.I hit post reply insted of quote.

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #29 of 34
I NetFlix'd this recently, and holy crap, it scared the bejesus out of me. I love a good horror movie, especially ones that really get into your head, and this movie is it. Plus, I'm also claustrophic, so the cave-diving scenes really added to the fear.

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #30 of 34
I loved this movie, has anyone read the theories that the main character made the monsters up in her head and killed her friends herself. I personally think it's too contrived, but it is interesting to go on imdb.com and read peoples theories, there's some clever interpretations. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back