The Deals Thread II. (READ THE FIRST POST!)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,206 of 3,203
Quote:
Quote:
I think a certain magpie should clarify the specifications of the forementioned questions.

Seems like a reasonable ask to me...the 'reason' on the first page for no group buys is as follows -- "Group buy/mass buy site links or discussion about them are also not permitted. Group buys on Head-Fi require permission and are usually not allowed due to issues in the past with predatory pricing."

If Groupon and Living Social have predatory pricing, I'd like to understand why.  If not, I'd like to see the deal posted.  For instance , recently I could get an E-17 on "the site that shall not be named" for $109.  Would be nice to have seen that here.

On the flip side, the group buys where 'maybe' I'll get a deal if we can get enough people signed up don't interest me at all...bunch of woulda, coulda, shoulda. 

[size=x-small]On the other hand, my experience with "the [size=x-small]site that shall not be named"[/size] has been excellent -- providing me with deals on hotels, restaurants, sporting events, and audio (including headphones)...show me the deals![/size]

By magpie I meant Currawong, as he is the one who has the final say on pruning.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,208 of 3,203
Quote:

Seems like a reasonable ask to me...the 'reason' on the first page for no group buys is as follows -- "Group buy/mass buy site links or discussion about them are also not permitted. Group buys on Head-Fi require permission and are usually not allowed due to issues in the past with predatory pricing."

If Groupon and Living Social have predatory pricing, I'd like to understand why.  If not, I'd like to see the deal posted.  For instance , recently I could get an E-17 on "the site that shall not be named" for $109.  Would be nice to have seen that here.

On the flip side, the group buys where 'maybe' I'll get a deal if we can get enough people signed up don't interest me at all...bunch of woulda, coulda, shoulda. 

[size=x-small]On the other hand, my experience with "the [size=x-small]site that shall not be named"[/size] has been excellent -- providing me with deals on hotels, restaurants, sporting events, and audio (including headphones)...show me the deals![/size]

Seems like questions suited better for a moderator. Shoot Currawong a pm. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,209 of 3,203
From the Terms of Service:

Group Buys can not be promoted on Head-Fi's Main Forums, or via Head-Fi's Private Messaging, without first receiving authorization from Jude via Head-Fi Private Messaging or e-mail. Please note, though, that it is not our desire to see Group Buys used by Members of the Trade as a primary method of distribution and advertising on Head-Fi's forums--so, for this and other reasons, they are usually not approved. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis, and most often for DIY-related parts that might otherwise be unreasonably difficult to obtain.

We have decided this includes group buys on other sites or by manufacturers. The reason was, though albeit not specifically related to group-buy sites that companies started fighting over who could offer the group buy at the cheapest price, just to be the ones to get their name on it, despite the harm to the market overall (Google "predatory pricing") -- basically if everyone expects to buy things as cheap as possible, companies that rely on making a profit end up being harmed by those that are willing to sacrifice profit and customer service for sales*. Secondly, Head-Fi is so large that even well-organised companies that have offered a discounted group buy on a product have been so overwhelmed that people ended up with neither money nor product for many months or, in some cases, years. In the worst cases, with no further money coming in for new orders (due to numerous complaints about delays) some companies collapsed (the stress caused the owners to end up with health issues and a broken family quite often) and they took as more than $100k of peoples' money with them.

So, while I understand the desire to get stuff as cheap at possible, due to the overall harm this kind of thing does and the numerous issues that have cropped up, group buys are pretty much not permitted in any way here.

This will be my only comment on the matter and I wont discuss it further, as it will just take this thread off-topic. I'd appreciate it if people didn't discuss it further for the same reason.

*It could be argued quite validly that Amazon has had this effect.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,210 of 3,203
Quote:

Seems like questions suited better for a moderator. Shoot Currawong a pm. 

I did after his response to specifically inquire regarding Groupon's status as a group-buy site.  I explained what I believed to be the differences between Groupon and the group-buys that Head-Fi wishes to avoid.

His response was..."Groupon I don't consider a group-buy site for the sake of the rules of that thread. None of the issues I raised has anything to do with that site."

In light of that, Enjoy!  JLab JBuds J6M for $14.99 with free shipping from...

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-jbuds-j6m-earbuds-with-hands-free-microphone-1?pt=aUbRv9TAAAADKwhJXKGhhwVFZE2MEvXf9

Lowest price ever according to camelcamelcamel.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,212 of 3,203
Jun 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,215 of 3,203
Beyer DT880 600 Ohm for 280$
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-880-Premium-600-Headphones/dp/B0024NK35S/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGNVO1SI8BPQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back