The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Sep 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #5,477 of 9,815
Quote:
Philips Downtowns are being said to go for $29.99 at some Target stores. It's not available online at a discount, but if you have a Target in your area, it's worth a look.

Going there in a few hours, I will have to check it out.  =)

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #5,478 of 9,815
Quote:
Philips Downtowns are being said to go for $29.99 at some Target stores. It's not available online at a discount, but if you have a Target in your area, it's worth a look.

My local Target had them on clearance (one brown, one purple) for $29.98 each.

Had being the key word, as I'm now using the brown one and the purple will make a good gift 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5,479 of 9,815
Quote:

My local Target had them on clearance (one brown, one purple) for $29.98 each.

Had being the key word, as I'm now using the brown one and the purple will make a good gift 
smily_headphones1.gif

How are the sound quality of the Downtown ones?> I really regret not being able to catch the uptown ones...I mean $200 phones for $50? damn lol

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #5,480 of 9,815
There are two purple Downtowns at the Highland Park, IL Target.

I've decided not to get them. But if anyone else is around this area, just thought I would give you a heads up.

-Edit- I did end up getting a pair of the purple ones. Will make a good gift for a girl... Or gay guy (not that there is anything wrong with that)...

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #5,481 of 9,815
Great gift idea. Picked up two Downtowns at Target here in Grand Rapids for $30 each. They were in a separate clearance area away from the rest of the headphones.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5,482 of 9,815
Just got back from picking up two pair here in L.A. at 29.99, one brown for my nephew and one purple for a female friend who was about to pull the trigger on some hello kitty headphones instead, haha.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #5,484 of 9,815
Quote:
How are the sound quality of the Downtown ones?> I really regret not being able to catch the uptown ones...I mean $200 phones for $50? damn lol

They're just average, IMO. I just bought a pair of the purple ones for a lady friend and she loves them for the comfort....they are light and pretty comfortable and they isolate relatively well, but the sound is just okay. I have a handful of sub-$100 phones here and these rank towadr the bottom. That being said, they're worth $29 if you can find them. I wouldn't pay more than about $45 for them. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #5,485 of 9,815
Quote:

Haha, looks like I started something.

I posted my initial impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/609150/philips-citiscape-downtown#post_8671260

You may also want to check out Tyll's thoughts: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown

Super brief version, $100 seems like a reasonable price and $30 is a steal. If you compare them side-by-side with better cans then yeah, they aren't perfect, but taken on their own I don't hear any glaring faults and will probably use them as my "I don't care what happens to them" portable cans.

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #5,486 of 9,815
Quote:

They're just average, IMO. I just bought a pair of the purple ones for a lady friend and she loves them for the comfort....they are light and pretty comfortable and they isolate relatively well, but the sound is just okay. I have a handful of sub-$100 phones here and these rank towadr the bottom. That being said, they're worth $29 if you can find them. I wouldn't pay more than about $45 for them. 

I would agree in general. I think the biggest thing for me is that while they aren't necessarily remarkable sounding (I do think the bass is pretty good though), they also don't have any big glaring flaws in the sound either (unlike a lot of cheap headphones).

With that said, I don't own any other sub-$100 cans to compare them with, so I couldn't say exactly where they fall amongst their peers. I need to talk someone here at work into ordering a CAL or something...

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #5,487 of 9,815
Quote:

I would agree in general. I think the biggest thing for me is that while they aren't necessarily remarkable sounding (I do think the bass is pretty good though), they also don't have any big glaring flaws in the sound either (unlike a lot of cheap headphones).

With that said, I don't own any other sub-$100 cans to compare them with, so I couldn't say exactly where they fall amongst their peers.

Yeah, they're not bad headphones by any means....I just don't really see anything about them that makes me want to go back to them. She's quite happy with them, though, so that's the most important thing. I'm surprised you ding them for comfort, though...I find them to be pretty comfortable with the memory foam ear pads. 

I'm a bit biased since I'm a Grado fan in general, but the SR80s are significantly better, IMO. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,488 of 9,815
Too much pressure on my ears, much more than my Grados. I suspect with a bit of wear and/or stretching that they'll be fine, but for now I'd agree that my SR80i's are more comfortable (with my added headband padding).

And as stated in my review, if they're the same price I'd definitely take the Grados (unless I needed closed cans), but the Downtowns are more portable-friendly and at least right now are 1/3 the price.

And I fully agree, I don't know if the Downtowns will be getting much/any head time, but that's entirely a result of the other (more expensive) cans I have. So yeah, no giant killers, but they sound decent, seem well built, and are currently cheap enough that I can toss them around or let my daughter use them without worrying about what happens to them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Ha, just stretched them out a good bit and now it's much better.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #5,489 of 9,815
Quote:

I only listened to them about half an hour so far, but this seems a good assessment. $50 top seems about what their worth (hear that Philips?), so $30 is a good deal. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #5,490 of 9,815
Quote:

Checked a Target store near me, were indeed on sale but at $69.99. Seems not all Target stores are pricing equally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back