The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jun 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #15,331 of 35,346
Not sure but I think alot of people prefer the 250ohm version to the 80ohm version, not sure why but at one point during this year i think, the DT770 was at 120 after rebate from adorama I think, and this was for the 250ohm I think.

Generally, the 80Ω (and I think the 32Ω as well) is bassier than the 250Ω and 600Ω versions. 

The 32, 250 and 600 ohm versions are all essentially the same - fairly neutral with a little scoop in the upper mids and a bit of extra sparkle in the mid treble. The 80 ohm pro is the odd man out. There is less damping in the cup and far more bass than the other models.

I have to say, the 80 ohm pro is one of my favorite closed backs, and a steal at $150. Great for closed back gaming or movies. Very nice soundstage for a closed back. The bass is glorious and immersive, very engaging and fun without being too loose. Personally, I like it better than the venerable V-Moda M100, Denon D2000, Ultrasone Pro900 and the M-Audio Q40.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #15,334 of 35,346

To my understanding the higher you go in impedance the better control it has over the driver. Are the 250 and 600 ohm versions sound cleaner? I think someone has measured the DT880s before at different impedance.

Quote:
That's not quite true. Damping factor controls the driver's ability to start and stop accurately. That's determined by the ratio of headphone impedance to amplifier impedance. The ideal ratio is 8:1 or greater. Any ratio greater than 8:1 won't result in any noticeable difference (i.e. a ratio of 600:1 won't yield any discernible difference from an 8:1 ratio.)

The BT Pro's are - shock - actual professional headphones so the different impedances have more to do with the number of phones being chained in to a source than it does with intended damping or impact on SQ :)

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #15,336 of 35,346
That's not quite true. Damping factor controls the driver's ability to start and stop accurately. That's determined by the ratio of headphone impedance to amplifier impedance. The ideal ratio is 8:1 or greater. Any ratio greater than 8:1 won't result in any noticeable difference (i.e. a ratio of 600:1 won't yield any discernible difference from an 8:1 ratio.)

@Hansotek  I've been told that this damping factor 8:1 ratio only applies to dynamic headphones, but it does not apply to planar magnetics or other types.  Is this correct?  If so, why?  Thanks!

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #15,337 of 35,346
@Hansotek
  I've been told that this damping factor 8:1 ratio only applies to dynamic headphones, but it does not apply to planar magnetics or other types.  Is this correct?  If so, why?  Thanks!

The 8:1 general rule is also about impedance variance and how that will effect frequency response if the output impedance is not low enough. Planars typically have no impedance variance, so not subject to that issue. As far as electrical dampening, not sure what the effect is there.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #15,338 of 35,346
I accept the challenge
smily_headphones1.gif

AKG 553 is back on Massdrop for $119 shipped: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

I purchased a pair as a gift for my dad on the last drop.  They showed up last night...ouch.  The outer box wasn't in great shape thanks to the shipper, but somehow the retail box had a hole punched in it (I don't see how that could have happened without putting a hole in the shipping box so I'm wondering if they shipped it that way) and I hear parts rattling around inside.  It's going back to Massdrop sealed up and they can deal with it.

HS

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #15,339 of 35,346

I purchased a pair as a gift for my dad on the last drop.  They showed up last night...ouch.  The outer box wasn't in great shape thanks to the shipper, but somehow the retail box had a hole punched in it (I don't see how that could have happened without putting a hole in the shipping box so I'm wondering if they shipped it that way) and I hear parts rattling around inside.  It's going back to Massdrop sealed up and they can deal with it.

HS

I had no problems with the box or headphones I got from the first drop of K553.  I am in NJ in the US (where I think the warehouse is).  

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #15,341 of 35,346

@Hansotek  I've been told that this damping factor 8:1 ratio only applies to dynamic headphones, but it does not apply to planar magnetics or other types.  Is this correct?  If so, why?  Thanks!

Yep, that's correct. There are a number of factors at play. The simple nature of the voice coil being spread across the entire surface with a matching planar magnetic structure allows very even control of the entire driver surface - cutting most unwanted vibrations just through the very nature of the design. Planars don't have the elaborate coil windings you find in a dynamic, which create all kinds of impedance dips and spikes. This also makes planars form a circuit that is almost purely resistive - so power is dissipated instead of being returned to the source and voltage and current are always in phase. In short, it basically eliminates any driver control shortcomings that an inadequate damping factor could exacerbate.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #15,342 of 35,346

@Hansotek
  I've been told that this damping factor 8:1 ratio only applies to dynamic headphones, but it does not apply to planar magnetics or other types.  Is this correct?  If so, why?  Thanks!

The 8:1 general rule is also about impedance variance and how that will effect frequency response if the output impedance is not low enough. Planars typically have no impedance variance, so not subject to that issue. As far as electrical dampening, not sure what the effect is there.

Inadequate damping factor won't affect the frequency response. It mostly just affects the drivers ability to start and stop accurately. The sound becomes "loose" - particularly in the bass department. You can kinda think of it as the brakes. Without adequate damping, notes don't necessarily stop when they are supposed to. You can change it acoustically in a cup by adding some foam or polyfill. You can change it electronically by adding more resistance on the headphone end of the circuit. 8:1 is basically the "cap" to where there is observable difference... anything over that won't matter positively or negatively.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #15,343 of 35,346
Inadequate damping factor won't affect the frequency response. It mostly just affects the drivers ability to start and stop accurately. The sound becomes "loose" - particularly in the bass department. You can kinda think of it as the brakes. Without adequate damping, notes don't necessarily stop when they are supposed to. You can change it acoustically in a cup by adding some foam or polyfill. You can change it electronically by adding more resistance on the headphone end of the circuit. 8:1 is basically the "cap" to where there is observable difference... anything over that won't matter positively or negatively.

Yes. But planar magnetics are not dynamic drivers. I don't think one should assume that they are subject to the same problems in terms of transient response and amp impedance.

Perhaps this is a better question for the Sound Science forum?

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #15,345 of 35,346
Yes. But planar magnetics are not dynamic drivers. I don't think one should assume that they are subject to the same problems in terms of transient response and amp impedance.

Perhaps this is a better question for the Sound Science forum?

I think you misread my response, or missed the reply right above it. It was only the "frequency response" part of your answer I was commenting on. 

Whatever. Forget it. Back to deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back