The Channel Islands VDA-2...a Fine DAC
Nov 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #46 of 55
What are the impressions of the VDA-2/VAC-1 owners in terms of the DAC's bass? I've gathered it is tight and textured, but does not have a lot of impact, in particular together with the slightly lean midrange? Is that an accurate description? I believe the VAC-1 does help it go lower and deeper than the VDA-2 alone.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #47 of 55
Honestly, I don't know where (or why) you are reading about this DAC vs others, instead of listening if you really want to find out: after all, they do have a friendly return policy...

I now have two VDA2-VAC1 setups, and would say that the VAC1s are definitely helping with dynamics and with bass. As for whether or not there are midrange or bass characterizations that are due to this particular DAC, I leave it to the journalists to describe: to my ears, the DACs do a lot better than the cheap spinners I put under them, and the result is more pleasing than what I got from higher-priced CD players (i.e. in about the same range as Oppo+CIA+cables). In addition, I run a Squeezebox into each DAC, the real reason for getting these: two unobtrusive set-ups that get high quality streams into both systems from another room, so I don't have to hear the computer when listening to music.

So, is the CIA VDA2 a Messiah of music reproduction? No. Does it beat up your DAC? You know, maybe it's not a competitive sport when you set up your stereo. It should please your ears without overly stressing your budget or your significant others. The VDA2, when paired with good cables and the VAC1, is a very good DAC, and it's small, and it's surprisingly affordable.

However, for anyone who wants to read comparisons rather than listen (I'll be honest, sometimes doing both at the same time is a pleasant tautology), here are two threads that compare the VDA2 to the Benchmark: Benchmark vs. CIAudio VDA-2 and http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/cha...ac-1-a-239178/

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #48 of 55
Unfortunately I do not really have the option of trying it out as I do not live in the US - shipping to (and from) South Africa will cost around $125 either way. Non-refundable shipping costs coupled with the 10% restocking fee means any purchase would need to be blind and returning is not a viable option.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #49 of 55
Hi, how is VDA2+VAC1 compared with Havana dac?

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #50 of 55
Price wise (VDA-2 + VAC-1) is very close to Havana. What Havana offers, VDA-2 don't such as:

--> USB, several more inputs, NOS.

What VDA-2 offers that Havana doesn't:

--> Ability to upgrade to balanced with cable.

The sounds from both system should be very respectable. If you got ears to tell the difference in many hours of listening, then I admire your ear. But, in all seriousness, it's all about how much you enjoy the music, and I believe both can provide it.

Given the choice, I went with VDA-2/VAC-1 combo after several months of agonizing search.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #51 of 55
tosehee and melomaniac - thanks for the feedback. How do you guys finds the VDA-2/VAC-1's dynamics and bass (quantity/weight and control)? I'm trying to ascertain if the DAC would do well with various amps or if it may be better suited with either tube or SS amplification etc.

Cheers,
X

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trying to ascertain if the DAC would do well with various amps or if it may be better suited with either tube or SS amplification

ah, dunno about VDA2 plus tube glow or SS sheen - anyhow I'm happy with class D - but I do want to add this: the music my significant other prefers sounds better on the car radio or the kitchen boombox than on a full speaker rig. hee hee...

May 8, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #53 of 55
hey, better late than never: for a few months now I've been using one of my VDA2-VAC1 to feed a tube-amp, namely the Lunchbox Pro. lovely combo. however, the other VDA2-VAC1 still feeds the big rig, with large Maggies, and that's where the VDA2 really shines. for headphones, I sometimes feel the Pico is plenty!

May 14, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #54 of 55
I am really enjoying my VDA-2 also. I currently use mine to drive a Sherwood s-5500II (tube amp). It is a really great sounding dac in this setup. Soon it will be mated with my Unico because I have the Buffalo32 coming. Can't wait to have a mini dac shootout. Regardless of the outcome the VDA will be in 1 of my systems
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #55 of 55
Sorry to bump but I am a little confused regarding the VAC-1's benefits.

It is said to help make VDA-2's dynamics and bass better (but apparently not as much for some music styles)? Someone else says it won't make that much of an audible difference.

What is it exactly that makes this difference? I know the VAC-1 is used to eliminate ultrasonic noise sent by a switching wallwart but I can't see how that alone could have such a big impact on the bass/dynamics department? I always thought ultrasonics would rather impact transparency, soundstage imaging and such "subtler" things more.

I'm wondering whether the VAC-1 has higher amperes/current than the provided stock walwart (thus providing more "juice" for bass and dynamics reproduction)?

I almost exclusively listen to classical so I'm not exactly into bass heavy music but dynamics are of more importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back