The Channel Islands VDA-2...a Fine DAC
Mar 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #31 of 55
Hello everyone1 I have been thinking about adding a DAC to my current set-up, as listed below. And, I have read some good things about this DAC. Do you think it would be a good match for what I have now?

Thanks!

Sony DA3100ES Receiver, Oppo DV-980H Universal Player, Speakers: Fronts; Paradigm Monitor 7 V5 - Surround / Center; Mirage Ominsats - Sub; Mirage Omni 10" 200watts

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own VDA2/VAC with RAL power umbilical cable. I loved the sound

hm... I just decided to spring for the VAC after all, and I am just running it (the past hour) to see if I can discern benefits. curious about the RAL power umbilical cable you mention: it seems a widely praised but perhaps difficult to procure upgrade. is it worth hunting it down? other VDA2-VAC owners?

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #35 of 55
Ordered VDA-2 + VAC-1. It should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait..!

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #36 of 55
Got it yesterday. Nice packaging and everything came without any issue at all.

Attaching to my HT system, the initial impression is not so revealing. I didn't have any dedicated DAC before and this is my first. Comparing to Pioneer VSX-92's internal Wolfson DAC, I think it's more analog(?) feeling. There are certain songs that I used to hear in Pioneer VSX-92, but not revealing in VDA-2. I don't know whether that's lost somewhere or that was a noise that VDA-2 captures and throws away. Hard to tell. I need to burn it a bit to give it more solid review.

As for the VDA-2, i got one question.

Feeding the input from Airport Express, it makes a clicking sound whenever it locks or unlocks. Is this normal?

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the sound from signal lock/unlock is normal.

Thanks for a quick reply.

I got another question if you don't mind.. :wink:

In the Pioneer AVR, there is a "pure direct" mode. After bit of research and reading, it is the mode in which it disables any processing, control, and room EQ and etc.

So, is that basically same as passive preamp? or Can I expect some improvements if I go with dedicated passive preamp route.

In short, here is my dilemma/question.

My current setup:

PC --> Airport Express -> CI Audio VDA-2 -> AVR (In pure direct mode) -> External Amp --> Speaker (2ch)

I was thinking of getting the passive preamp from CIAudio, but reading what "pure direct" mode is, I am not sure if I get anything from buying a passive preamp.

Proposed Setup:

PC --> Airport express --> CI Audio VDA-2 -> Passive Preamp -> External Amp -> Speaker (2ch)

Can someone explain in layman's term?

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 55
Is the "external amp" a power amp, or an integrated?
Usually the "pure direct" or "CD direct" mode just means that it'll amp it and bypass all the tone/balance/etc controls. Probably still active amping.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the "external amp" a power amp, or an integrated?
Usually the "pure direct" or "CD direct" mode just means that it'll amp it and bypass all the tone/balance/etc controls. Probably still active amping.

It's a power amp, NHT power 2.

So, do I still benefit by using the passive preamp I assume?

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 55
So, is the general consensus that CIAudio + extra power supply is better than benchmark DAC1? I haven't seen anything to the contrary of this.

If only the CIAudio stuff came in black...

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryguy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is the general consensus that CIAudio + extra power supply is better than benchmark DAC1? I haven't seen anything to the contrary of this.

If only the CIAudio stuff came in black...

I don't know cuz I never heard of benchmark 1.

My first impression is, it's a small box of wonder..

It packs a lot of stuffs in such a small box and it's not fatiguing at all. I found myself listening to many different types of music and they are all more rounding or analogous sound.

I can listen longer and enjoy the music more..

I think it's still breaking in if such thing exists. Or maybe I am just getting used to it, but so far, it's quite favorable.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #43 of 55
From everything I have read about the VDA-2/VAC-1, it is a very smooth sounding DAC. However, I also picked up some negative comments, specifically about it being too laid back, not very dynamic, tight bass but not very forceful. Overall, some hesitation at it perhaps being a little plain and, dare I say, boring?
redface.gif

I have not heard it, so the above is based purely on impressions and comparisons I have read.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #44 of 55
You have an SA5000 and headroom amp, those two alone should offset any slight feelings of "laid back." Just my opinion.

From what I gather with an HD650 and headroom micro amp when I owned them both, the sound was very lively, moreso than my HD580 and the amps I pair with it now. So with a headroom amp behind that HD650 of yours, even the sennheiser should not fall too flat with the vda2.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #45 of 55
I think it was more a feeling of lacking excitement (again, just from what I picked up by reading various impressions). This has been with varied system - different headphones, amps, as well as speaker setups.

Perhaps one day I will get to listen for myself; unfortunately being outside of the US it does not make much sense to use the trial period as shipping along would result in a major loss
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back