The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #556 of 1,323
I was undecided whether to buy these phones or the Sennheiser Momentums. I had a chance to listen to the Momentums at BB and almost bought the on-the-ear set except they were out of stock, so I thought I would wait. The over-the-ear Momentums were slightly better in overall sound quality but I did not think they were worth the $100 more. I am glad I waited. Amazon had the Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80s available at a great price, and after reading the professional and amateur reviews, I decided to try them thinking I could return them if they did not measure up to the Momentums.

Out of the box, the build quality is fantastic. They come with a carrying case that is secured with Velcro. A 1/4" adapter is included. The headband can be pulled apart to better fit heads; this is a good feature. I use this when I jog with them. My Samsung Galaxy 4 drives them quite well and considering my recordings are mp3 - 128, they sound good. I was looking for a portable headphone that was better than my in-ear RHAs. I did not experience any discomfort with the ear fit as was reported by some reviewers. The phones fit perfectly on me. The only negative, but just slightly, is the sound isolation. The DT-1350s are really good at it but not as good as noise canceling phones. I was not able to try the isolation with the Momentums.

Once I tried the phones, I was amazed on how smooth and clear the sound was. I was concerned with some of the reviewers that the phones lacked bass - this is not the case. The bass is well balanced, substantial and tight and when needed, and goes quite low without being muddy. I found the Momentums slightly muddy and enhanced in this area. The overall sound of the mids and treble is clear and balanced. Singing voices sound especially good. The DT-1350s produce a very natural, balanced sound. They will not make bad material sound good. The better the input, the better the sound. Music that I tried so far: YES, Genesis, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Return to Forever, Dream Theater, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Steely Dan, Blondie, Chick Corea, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Eagles, Donald Fagen, Michael Jackson, Magic Pie, Steve Hackett, and The Cars. I do not listen to  rap or hip hop. I have yet to listen to classical and electronic music.

I will update this post if needed.

I will keep these and enjoy them even more as the break in period continues.

Justinto

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #557 of 1,323
The earcups of mine is somewhat getting sticky a bit... I'm kinda bothered with it. It's like a rubber paint and the climate here in my country is hot so I think this is expected. Wonder if there's anything I could do.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #558 of 1,323
  I was undecided whether to buy these phones or the Sennheiser Momentums. I had a chance to listen to the Momentums at BB and almost bought the on-the-ear set except they were out of stock, so I thought I would wait. The over-the-ear Momentums were slightly better in overall sound quality but I did not think they were worth the $100 more. I am glad I waited. Amazon had the Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80s available at a great price, and after reading the professional and amateur reviews, I decided to try them thinking I could return them if they did not measure up to the Momentums.

Out of the box, the build quality is fantastic. They come with a carrying case that is secured with Velcro. A 1/4" adapter is included. The headband can be pulled apart to better fit heads; this is a good feature. I use this when I jog with them. My Samsung Galaxy 4 drives them quite well and considering my recordings are mp3 - 128, they sound good. I was looking for a portable headphone that was better than my in-ear RHAs. I did not experience any discomfort with the ear fit as was reported by some reviewers. The phones fit perfectly on me. The only negative, but just slightly, is the sound isolation. The DT-1350s are really good at it but not as good as noise canceling phones. I was not able to try the isolation with the Momentums.

Once I tried the phones, I was amazed on how smooth and clear the sound was. I was concerned with some of the reviewers that the phones lacked bass - this is not the case. The bass is well balanced, substantial and tight and when needed, and goes quite low without being muddy. I found the Momentums slightly muddy and enhanced in this area. The overall sound of the mids and treble is clear and balanced. Singing voices sound especially good. The DT-1350s produce a very natural, balanced sound. They will not make bad material sound good. The better the input, the better the sound. Music that I tried so far: YES, Genesis, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Return to Forever, Dream Theater, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Steely Dan, Blondie, Chick Corea, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Eagles, Donald Fagen, Michael Jackson, Magic Pie, Steve Hackett, and The Cars. I do not listen to  rap or hip hop. I have yet to listen to classical and electronic music.

Justinto

This is very similar to my experience, except in comparison to the Amperiors, not the Momentums. I like the overall sound of the Amperiors, but the bass is not as clean and tight as the 1350s (which have a near-perfect low end, in my opinion). I also HATE the ergonomics of the Senns...all that plastic, a cable that sustains damage way too easily, and TWO pairs that had a loose cup that never properly stayed in place when I put the headphones on. I have not had any of these issues with the 1350s...they are built for the long haul. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #560 of 1,323

This is very similar to my experience, except in comparison to the Amperiors, not the Momentums. I like the overall sound of the Amperiors, but the bass is not as clean and tight as the 1350s (which have a near-perfect low end, in my opinion). I also HATE the ergonomics of the Senns...all that plastic, a cable that sustains damage way too easily, and TWO pairs that had a loose cup that never properly stayed in place when I put the headphones on. I have not had any of these issues with the 1350s...they are built for the long haul. 

I don't know about the Amperior...but I had a pair of HD25s that looked brand new after eight years of ownership.  There was not a scratch on them (the plastic they use is amazing) the day I shipped them off to their new owner.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #561 of 1,323
  The earcups of mine is somewhat getting sticky a bit... I'm kinda bothered with it. It's like a rubber paint and the climate here in my country is hot so I think this is expected. Wonder if there's anything I could do.

Where do you live?

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #565 of 1,323

Justinto

Thanks for the comparison I have an S4 as well so it's good hear they drive the beyers well. I love the over ear Momentums and they'd be my portable of choice if it wasn't for the small earpads and my dumbo ears lol.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #566 of 1,323

How do the dt1350's mids and highs compare with the amperiors?

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #567 of 1,323
How do the dt1350's mids and highs compare with the amperiors?

It's hard for me to give the nod to one or the other in terms of mids/highs. It's a clear victory for the 1350s in the low end, but a draw in the other areas. I think both have very solid mids and highs. The Senns sound pretty good overall, they just have a little more bloat in the low end (not in general, just compared to the 1350s) and I hate the ergonomics. But given that they've dropped so much in price, they're a very solid buy. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #570 of 1,323

Philippines.

The only thing I can think of that might help you is to try another model.  The Martin Logan 90 is very similar to the DT1350 and it is mostly made out of leather and metal.   Perhaps those materials will hold up better in the Philippines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back