The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #9,061 of 12,546
I've searched this thread somewhat extensively, and it seems like people say the silver velour is softer (foam, not surface) than the black velours, but then people separately say sound the same. If they're different density foam, shouldn't that have an acoustic affect? part of why I ask is the DT880s on their way to me have black velours, and I don't want sonic differences to mess up what I should be hearing. Any thoughts on this?

I will have to look into this, but I wonder if what you read is more related to the black pads on the DT770, which are much denser than those on the 880s. I own a pair of the black DT 770 pads for my portable cans.

May 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #9,062 of 12,546
I will have to look into this, but I wonder if what you read is more related to the black pads on the DT770, which are much denser than those on the 880s. I own a pair of the black DT 770 pads for my portable cans.

It seemed as if both were referenced from the DT880/990 pads, and from multiple users that had both. I have worn both at a meet, and my impression was that the black pads were stiffer, but those particular silver pads were much more used. Generally though, it seems the difference in stiffness is acknowledged. I'm kinda surprised nobody seems to have tried to pad 'roll'. Its all the rage over on the he-400 thread 
tongue.gif

May 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #9,063 of 12,546
It seemed as if both were referenced from the DT880/990 pads, and from multiple users that had both. I have worn both at a meet, and my impression was that the black pads were stiffer, but those particular silver pads were much more used. Generally though, it seems the difference in stiffness is acknowledged. I'm kinda surprised nobody seems to have tried to pad 'roll'. Its all the rage over on the he-400 thread :p

I have and have written about it many times.

May 21, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #9,064 of 12,546
I have and have written about it many times.

thank you, I'll search the thread again by your username.

Edit: my 'pad rolling' comment was in reference to the two different pads I had mentioned earlier. I was aware that leather and dt770 pads make them bass cannons. I was unclear in my meaning, so my bad. So, nobody here's got both sets of velours? Again, just curious because mine will arrive with black velours, and I don't want to miss out on something because they came with those pads.

May 21, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #9,065 of 12,546
thank you, I'll search the thread again by your username.

Edit: my 'pad rolling' comment was in reference to the two different pads I had mentioned earlier. I was aware that leather and dt770 pads make them bass cannons. I was unclear in my meaning, so my bad. So, nobody here's got both sets of velours? Again, just curious because mine will arrive with black velours, and I don't want to miss out on something because they came with those pads.

I do. The black pads with a DT880/990 replacement part number greatly decrease the low-end, boost the upper mids, and roll-off the highs. FWIW, the 770 pads on a 880 increase the bass and the lower mids at the expense of some clarity.

May 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #9,066 of 12,546
I do. The black pads with a DT880/990 replacement part number greatly decrease the low-end, boost the upper mids, and roll-off the highs. FWIW, the 770 pads on a 880 increase the bass and the lower mids at the expense of some clarity.

I can report the same results with HM5 thick pleather pads on the DT880's. Bass (especially subbass) and mids takes a step or two forward, however clarity and airiness worsen.

May 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,067 of 12,546
Today I got my DT880 600ohm manufaktur edition. Unfortunately this thing wont fit on my head. Even on maximum setting of 8 dots, cups wont reach and cover the ears completely. Height of the headband from ear cups is simply not enough. I never had any issue with any of my other cans.(DT770, Mad Dog and few others)

I am planning to return them. Is there something I can do to fix this issue before returning them?

May 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #9,069 of 12,546
  Today I got my DT880 600ohm manufaktur edition. Unfortunately this thing wont fit on my head. Even on maximum setting of 8 dots, cups wont reach and cover the ears completely. Height of the headband from ear cups is simply not enough. I never had any issue with any of my other cans.(DT770, Mad Dog and few others)

I am planning to return them. Is there something I can do to fix this issue before returning them?

Get a smaller head? Lol. 

I think your pair has a problem. I've never heard of anyone having fit problems with the DT880 (or any Beyer headphone at that). I consider myself to have a medium to large head and my DT880 fits on the 2nd and 3rd notch. 

May 23, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #9,072 of 12,546

I'am sorry to hear that your HP wont fit on your head.

NO OFFENCE Your not a punjab are you?

Nope. I'm an elephant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry!I work with few of them that is why i asked i'am not trying to insult you.They wear their HP's in weird way the headband is on the back of their heads so the cups reach their ears.

May 23, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #9,073 of 12,546
I just got the manufaktur version too. Theres not a lot of room to adjust the height on my pair. They're just under the max setting. maybe the black yokes they use aren't as big? idk, though I can definitely see someone running out of space with these

May 24, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #9,075 of 12,546
  I just got the manufaktur version too. Theres not a lot of room to adjust the height on my pair. They're just under the max setting. maybe the black yokes they use aren't as big? idk, though I can definitely see someone running out of space with these

Thanks for confirming. I will try to return my pair. Hopefully massdrop will accept my return

Users who are viewing this thread

Back