The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 26, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #9,076 of 12,546
I spoke to an owner of a DT880 (600 Ohm), and asked how they fared for gaming. They mentioned that the DT880's tend to "click" with loud noises like gunshots or explosions. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

May 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #9,077 of 12,546
  I spoke to an owner of a DT880 (600 Ohm), and asked how they fared for gaming. They mentioned that the DT880's tend to "click" with loud noises like gunshots or explosions. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

That is an indication of clipping - when the amp doesn't have enough power to drive the headphones driver properly - explosions and gunshots etc. needs a lot of power across for the low end movements of the driver. Which amp is this person using? The DT880 has usually no issues with gunshots and explosions... :wink:

May 26, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #9,078 of 12,546

That is an indication of clipping - when the amp doesn't have enough power to drive the headphones driver properly - explosions and gunshots etc. needs a lot of power across for the low end movements of the driver. Which amp is this person using? The DT880 has usually no issues with gunshots and explosions... :wink:

I would say a lot of voltage instead of power.
Being 600 ohm headphones they need very little power, but pretty high voltage swing to sound loud.

May 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9,079 of 12,546
Being 600 ohm headphones they need very little power, but pretty high voltage swing to sound loud.

I stand corrected then. Voltage it is.

May 26, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #9,080 of 12,546

Thanks.

I think the DT880 are some of the best headphones you can own for gaming. I use them with my HT Omega Claro + soundcard and select the EX Xear 3D DSP and get very good positional audio with the round earcups and drivers of the DT880. Some people will say the AKG series are the best for gaming, but the DT880 are great all-rounders and I haven't sold them since upgrading to the Alpha Dogs. 

Also, I use my Theta DS Pro Progeny for gaming too and it sounds way better than my Bifrost Uber for positional audio. I think this has to do with the DSP chip inside of the Progeny that images in a very spacial and separated way. By gaming standards it would go this way for the DAC/soundcard standings (soundcard / DAC DSP makes a huge difference in positional audio)

1. HT Omega Claro Halo w/ EX Xear 3D DSP (PCI soundcard)
2. Theta DS Pro Progeny (S/PDIF pass-through)
3. Schiit Bifrost Uber (USB)

May 26, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #9,081 of 12,546

Actually, because they are 600 Ohm, they need a lot of voltage and a little bit of current, but they need just as much power as a 32 Ohm, or 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm version.
An 80 Ohm version would need a lot of current and a little bit of voltage.

May 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #9,082 of 12,546
Actually, because they are 600 Ohm, they need a lot of voltage and a little bit of current, but they need just as much power as a 32 Ohm, or 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm version.
An 80 Ohm version would need a lot of current and a little bit of voltage.

What kind of amps provide a lot of current and which ones provide voltage? 

May 26, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #9,083 of 12,546

As a very general statement, tubes are better for voltage and ss is better for current. This being said, I mostly prefer my DT880/600 with ss amps - Vio V200 and Meier Concerto. My relatively new OTL - a Feliks Elise - does bring out a different dimension from the cans, arguably, performing better than the ss amps. My LDIII does not.

May 26, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #9,084 of 12,546

A good solid state desktop headphone amp will provide enough voltage and current to drive a Beyer headphone of any impedance.

With tube amps, the answer is not so easy:
- a vacuum tube headphone amp with an output transformer can usually drive any impedance headphone
- a vacuum tube headphone amp without an output transformer is best suited for high impedance headphones, like 250-600 Ohm Beyers

May 27, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #9,085 of 12,546
As a very general statement, tubes are better for voltage and ss is better for current. This being said, I mostly prefer my DT880/600 with ss amps - Vio V200 and Meier Concerto. My relatively new OTL - a Feliks Elise - does bring out a different dimension from the cans, arguably, performing better than the ss amps. My LDIII does not.

A good solid state desktop headphone amp will provide enough voltage and current to drive a Beyer headphone of any impedance.

With tube amps, the answer is not so easy:
- a vacuum tube headphone amp with an output transformer can usually drive any impedance headphone
- a vacuum tube headphone amp without an output transformer is best suited for high impedance headphones, like 250-600 Ohm Beyers

Thanks. That explains a lot. Now i see why people recommend SS amps for low impedance headphones. 

May 27, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #9,087 of 12,546
Just to drag the discussion down from these rarified heights, I've just bought a used Fiio E9 to use with my DT880 Pro. I wasn't expecting a huge difference over my Denon integrated and indeed there was none--no huge difference, that is. However, drums and most lower frequency instruments are noticeably better defined, even over my old Muse dedicated HP amp, so I conclude that the Fiio is indeed worth its price and perhaps a little more. Having heard SS amps like the Matrix M-Stage and LD Mk V in the past I'd be surprised if they significantly outperformed the Fiio based on this evidence, though I'm certainly prepared to entertain contrary arguments.   

Incidentally, this is my 4000th post, so if you wouldn't mind all dropping a small commemorative coin in the box as you leave....thank you.  

May 28, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #9,089 of 12,546
I have a Fiio E7. It's sins are mostly of omission; it's a sonic eraser. The worst sounding amp I own. Perhaps if you heard the Matrix and the LD next to your Fiio, your impressions would change. Or not. We don't all have similar expectations.

I've directly compared the E9 to the Matrix M Stage.
Guess what...the M Stage is a fuller, clearer, more open sounding amp.
But the E9 certainly doesn't embarass itself when you consider how much it costs.

May 28, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #9,090 of 12,546
I've directly compared the E9 to the Matrix M Stage.
Guess what...the M Stage is a fuller, clearer, more open sounding amp.
But the E9 certainly doesn't embarass itself when you consider how much it costs.

There's certainly something to be said for the price/performance ratio. From my POV, buying some of the best headphones around and then feeding them with a make-due device borders on the ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back