The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 9, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #9,031 of 12,546
Are there better options to go for than the Little dot MKIII, in the same price range?

And in case my budget only allows for the Little dot MKII, should I go for the 250 or 600 ohm dt880?

Also, how does the little dot MKIII compare to the JDS O2 and/or schiit vali?

The O2 sounds like sand. The LDIII is a great match for HD6XX. With DT880, the LDIII sounds is fairly unexciting, the highs are rolled off and there's a little real bass extension. One can modify the LDIII, as I have, but the overall cope of the result doesn't change. On paper it's a great match. In reality, the result is overly colored. That's why I recommended the M-Stage. It a very good tonal match for the cans and it won't make them sound boring and rolled-off.

May 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #9,034 of 12,546
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

I think I'll end up getting the m-stage some time in the future when my budget allows for it. Even the LD MKII is a bit outside my budget at the moment.

I think I should go for the LD MKII. What will sound the best with the MKII, the 250 or the 600 ohm DT880?

May 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #9,039 of 12,546
Can't compare them SS vs OTL.

Thanks, although do you mind explaining a bit?

I know SS is more analytical whilst OTL is warmer and coloured. But I'm really confused at the moment. Most people say OTL is the only way to go with the DT880 whilst I have now been recommended the Matrix m-stage which is SS so I'm even more lost now than before :frowning2:

The DT880 is meant to be slightly dry, analytical and airy, similar to a SS amp. I would prefer to have a slightly warmer sound but a few posts back I was recommended that the m-stage is as warm as the OTL MKIII so I'm really really confused.

Im only going to use the DT880 to listen to relaxing music.

May 9, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #9,040 of 12,546
 I'am sucked at describing sound or audiophile vocabularies.I never heard a SS amp with the DT880 so i can't comment on that.IMO the MK III pair well with the DT880 600R(my own)The Bass is good,mids is good highs are really good depends on the Driver tubes you are using some tubes are bright sounding.Personally you really need to decide for your self you can't just go with what others might say about these amp or that amp go with  your heart after all we all have different EARS,What may sound best for me might not for others.I was like you few years ago but then i decided to go with my guts i started with Bravo Audio ocean(to my ears not a good amp for the 880)Then i bought my first DAC(Audioengine D1)these did not changed anything for the Bravo/880 pair and then i bought the MK III these did improved the DT880 sound a lot the Bass sound powerful,mids is really good and the treble sound smooth.Again my EARS are different from yours and others.

May 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #9,041 of 12,546
I know SS is more analytical whilst OTL is warmer and coloured.

That's not necessarily true. Both of my OTLs sound more analytical than my ss Violectric V200.

But I'm really confused at the moment. Most people say OTL is the only way to go with the DT880 whilst I have now been recommended the Matrix m-stage which is SS so I'm even more lost now than before :frowning2:

Please understand that on this forum most people simply parrot the prevailing opinion. It's a young population and it's all about a sense of belonging. All posts are not created equal. For example, I've been at this ~40 years and have experience with a very wide variety of gear [you can see what I own and use in my profile]. Next to my posts are a number of comments from kids - sometimes children, literally - who play Youtube videos and have a point of reference that's questionable at best. I guess my point is, can't count votes. Look and see who you're talking to. Good luck.

May 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #9,042 of 12,546
That's not necessarily true. Both of my OTLs sound more analytical than my ss Violectric V200.
Please understand that on this forum most people simply parrot the prevailing opinion. It's a young population and it's all about a sense of belonging. All posts are not created equal. For example, I've been at this ~40 years and have experience with a very wide variety of gear [you can see what I own and use in my profile]. Next to my posts are a number of comments from kids - sometimes children, literally - who play Youtube videos and have a point of reference that's questionable at best. I guess my point is, can't count votes. Look and see who you're talking to. Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

Could you please tell me exactly how the Bottlehead crack and the matrix m-stage differ ?

May 10, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #9,045 of 12,546
   Have you tried C3g driver tubes and 6SN7 or 6080/6AS7G Power tubes for your MK III?These combo works really well for the DT880 600R better than all of the plug n play tubes i've ever tried and yes much much  better than any EI or  MULLARD and TELEFUNKEN driver tubes.

I have not but you are the second person to suggest this...what's involved in trying these tubes? Also where can I purchase them from someone that is reliable? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back