The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 9, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #181 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions. I would hope that there would be some audible difference given the cost. I've yet to experience the differences cables can make on a phone, so I can't even begin to weigh in on the debate.

When I just start this hobby. I had hard time just to buy $300 Headphone, not to mention spending another $300 to recable it. That was just absurd to me.

Later, due to balanced connection I have to get a recabled phone. That was the 1st time I realize how critical the cable is. Still, I only tried the very "low-end" (in terms of cost) cable and yet the change is so big. If you are like me (budget minded), you can try to ask some Headfier to recable that for much cheaper cost. If you really like the outcome, then you can jump for more expensive route. (like what I will do later)

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #182 of 12,548
I've just tried the 600 ohms, and it surprised me as Beyer finally solved the problem of the midbass hump of the 250 ohms. As a result, because there is no heavy midbasses pushing everything away, the transparency is clearly better on the 600 ohm version, and it also widens the area where the highs appear. So although it seems like the highs are less bright when it is compared with the 250ohm version, they are more accurate and easier to hear in the 600ohms IMO. Yet the sound is less tiring for me while listening with the 250ohm.

Anyway, I am planning to buy the 600ohm drivers for my 250ohm DT880. And planning to recable it but I will need to replace it with another 6.4mm cable. Do you think it can improve the sound or do you advice me to stay with the stock cables of the 250ohms?

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #183 of 12,548
Midbass hump on the 250 Ohm version? I'm quite new here and to me you are the first whom mentioned a midbass hump on the 250 Ohm DT880. What 250 Ohm version do you have, the '03 of the '05 version? Just wondering, that's all.

From what I've gathered, opinions seem to be divided on which version of the DT880 is the most detailed. Is there clearly a version that is the most detailed, or is this a result of everyone using a different amp? What I mean is, could it be that the 600 Ohm version is clearly the most detailed, provided you have a proper amp to drive it. If you don't have the right amp to get the most out of the 600 Ohm version, then one of the other versions can come across as more detailed, am I right?
In other words, the 600 Ohm version has the potential to be the most detailed, while the other versions are easier to get closer to their full potential. Just my guess, I could be completely wrong. I'm trying to determine what version is suitable for me and buying multiple cans is too expensive.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #184 of 12,548
Quote:

Midbass hump on the 250 Ohm version? I'm quite new here and to me you are the first whom mentioned a midbass hump on the 250 Ohm DT880. What 250 Ohm version do you have, the '03 of the '05 version? Just wondering, that's all.

I mean the PREMIUM version of DT880 '05 250ohm. I'm not the only one hearing this with my 250ohm DT880 (this link might be informative as well):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...idbass-336277/

Also, I believe that most of the people complaining about the 'bloated bass' of the DT880 250ohms actually mean that issue as well. The midbass of the 250ohm sometimes (depends on the recordings or sources of course, but it tends to) create strange resonances that make the other sounds recessed. It sometimes makes the music more enjoyable IMO, but it is not truer than what the 600ohm does.

I cannot say anything against those who say they do not hear such a bloatedness as it is all about the sinergy. But I can say that with my 'modest' system (EMU 0404 + Octavart O1), 600ohm creates less problem for me.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #185 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xennon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just tried the 600 ohms, and it surprised me as Beyer finally solved the problem of the midbass hump of the 250 ohms. As a result, because there is no heavy midbasses pushing everything away, the transparency is clearly better on the 600 ohm version, and it also widens the area where the highs appear. So although it seems like the highs are less bright when it is compared with the 250ohm version, they are more accurate and easier to hear in the 600ohms IMO. Yet the sound is less tiring for me while listening with the 250ohm.

Anyway, I am planning to buy the 600ohm drivers for my 250ohm DT880. And planning to recable it but I will need to replace it with another 6.4mm cable. Do you think it can improve the sound or do you advice me to stay with the stock cables of the 250ohms?

Man you're making me want to upgrade! If only I could find a buyer for my 250 Ohms at stock price
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #186 of 12,548
I just ordered a pair of DT 880 600s and an E-MU 0404 USB to use as a source. Now to choose an amp. I'd like to spend around $200. The Little Dot MKIII looks pretty good but is it powerful enough for the 600s?

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #187 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to repeat myself ...there is no loss of high end in 600 ohm. The only difference is better image, focus, and position. Maybe larger soundstage.

And the more I hear them the more I think balanced/recabled 600 ohm is the way to go: for additional power and enhanced pin-point accuracy.

Now my balanced DT880/600 get my 99.99% of head time. It just sounds so full and right. I have some CD that sound strange (soundstage issue) before now sounds great with balanced DT880/600. My interpretation is correctly interpreted sound field.

I am going to agree with dukja. I have a powerful SS balanced amp designed for 600-ohm phones and the experience with the balanced, re-cabled 880/600s is phenominal.

I am not a huge believer in cable differences, and this could all be placebo since I could not A/B, but I sent my MANUFAKTUR 880/600s to Larry at headphile and got them back balanced with his black gold (this was before moon-audio sold the whole combo directly -- Drew has also done some great re-cable/balanced work for me) and I believe the improvement was big, not at all subtle.

Sharper transients and wider soundstage.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #188 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a pair of DT 880 600s and an E-MU 0404 USB to use as a source. Now to choose an amp. I'd like to spend around $200. The Little Dot MKIII looks pretty good but is it powerful enough for the 600s?

Yes, yes, and, yes. I have that exact configuration. If your amp and cans are new, they will not sound the way they are supposed to until many hours of use aka burn-in. I love my setup, but I listen to EDM and I want more bass, rather than natural "the way it is" sound.

Everything you listed will work great. I speak on behalf of tubes... I do not know what an SS amp sounds like with the 600s yet. Until then I plan on tube-rolling the amp.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #189 of 12,548
I have a pair of broken DT880 600OHM drivers and noticed there are some resistors installed. Funny thing is that I was talking with Scott from S2 audio and he said that in the 'newer' versions there are no resistors to be seen. Straaaaange.
wink.gif

So I am thinking... Which version sounds better Why are there resistors in some DT880 600s but not all? Can anyone at least confirm this?

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #190 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of broken DT880 600OHM drivers and noticed there are some resistors installed. Funny thing is that I was talking with Scott from S2 audio and he said that in the 'newer' versions there are no resistors to be seen. Straaaaange.
wink.gif

So I am thinking... Which version sounds better Why are there resistors in some DT880 600s but not all? Can anyone at least confirm this?

Those are diodes, not resistor. My Manufakturer 600Ohm DT880 doesn't have any and off the shelf 600Ohm DT770 did. Go figure.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #191 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I've gathered, opinions seem to be divided on which version of the DT880 is the most detailed. Is there clearly a version that is the most detailed, or is this a result of everyone using a different amp? What I mean is, could it be that the 600 Ohm version is clearly the most detailed, provided you have a proper amp to drive it. If you don't have the right amp to get the most out of the 600 Ohm version, then one of the other versions can come across as more detailed, am I right?
In other words, the 600 Ohm version has the potential to be the most detailed, while the other versions are easier to get closer to their full potential. Just my guess, I could be completely wrong. I'm trying to determine what version is suitable for me and buying multiple cans is too expensive.

Both have exactly the same detail but the 600 ohm is much better and more balanced sounding than the other versions of the DT880. Even 'underpowered', the DT880 600ohm still sounds better than their 250ohm counterparts but of course the DT880 600 ohm has more potential to sound better as the quality of the amp rises.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #193 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they similiar sound to the AKG 701 or would they be better. I am using a Little Dot MK11 to drive my other cans but this thread has peeked my interest in maybe demo the 880. Opinions appreciated.

Wouldn't it be something rather subjective to say which headphone, between the K701 and DT880, would be better?

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #194 of 12,548
I originally planned on getting some 250ohm 880s primarily for watching movies, and to use with the JVC SU-DH1 Dolby Headphone adapter, but now am thinking about getting the 600ohm, based on everyone here loving them.

My only concern is that the smoothness of the 600ohms might not be best for movies, and I might lose some detail! Does anybody use the 600's for watching movies? Are they any good?

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #195 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaken84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I originally planned on getting some 250ohm 880s primarily for watching movies, and to use with the JVC SU-DH1 Dolby Headphone adapter, but now am thinking about getting the 600ohm, based on everyone here loving them.

My only concern is that the smoothness of the 600ohms might not be best for movies, and I might lose some detail! Does anybody use the 600's for watching movies? Are they any good?

Chinesekiwi said it all a few posts earlier: there is no difference in detail between 880/250 and 880/600 ... the 880/600 is simply the better sounding HP.

Maybe overkill for movies. BTW, as you suggest, I watch movies with my 880/250 and listen to music with my 880/600, but that's because the 880/250 is the HP supported by my beyer Headzone, which does 5.1 DTS and Dolby thru the headphones that will amaze you, using a headtracker (motion tracker) connected to the headband of the 880/250. This has got to be more realistic than the JVC. We're not talking Smyth realism, but for movies it is spot on if you can sit dead center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back