The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #151 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT990 does have a slightly more spacious soundstage, but maybe a little more diffuse and with a little less image specificity compared to the 880 (speaking here about the 600 ohm versions of both). The 880 is more neutral; the 990 is generally a little warmer, and definitely has more bass, although with the 600 ohm version it's not boomy.

How does the 770 600 fit in?

normal_smile .gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #152 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know what the deal with my dt880 pro is then. (...) well, now you say you prefer the 250 anyhow lol. whatever i have i think they are outstanding cans.

music_man, I'm now at the point where I like them both the same; but they still sound different. the 600ohm, stock cable DT880s are powered by my WA3+ with stock tubes, and the 250ohm, recabled DT880s are driven by my LunchBox with vintage tubes upgrade. I haven't done any direct comparisons in a while though, because I had to rationalize my dual set-up by moving one to my office at work, leaving the other at home. :wink:

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #153 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by omigawsh_lollercoaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the 770 600 fit in?

normal_smile .gif

Hard for me to say with certainty - My 770/600's are recabled and modded, so they are not stock. But in general - they sound a lot like the 880, with a little worse soundstage (due to being closed).

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #154 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G
BTW, 600Ohm DT880 are much smoother than 250 Ohm counterpart up to the point of blurring some details, warming them up more with tubes will just exacerbate this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am hearing this as well. Too much smoothness is not for me. I need more of a balance between detail & euphony.

Is this true? I was considering upgrading my DT880's to 600 Ohm because of this thread, but this is stopping me.

$20 over the 250 ohms.. If only that was available for this cheap when I bought my 250 ohms's

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #155 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this true? I was considering upgrading my DT880's to 600 Ohm because of this thread, but this is stopping me.

$20 over the 250 ohms.. If only that was available for this cheap when I bought my 250 ohms's

unvarnished "truth," for some values of "truth" and smooth, and for some tubes and some ears. but not for many others.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #156 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unvarnished "truth," for some values of "truth" and smooth, and for some tubes and some ears. but not for many others.

que?

so no? I can't say I am unhappy with my setup, but a little sweeter midrange and low end couldn't hurt.

The new amp has certainly gotten rid of the spike in the highs of the DT880/250

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #157 of 12,548
I did not find DT880/600 any "smoother" (lack of detail) than 250 ohm version at all. Actually, my experience is just opposite. The 600 ohm one has better focus (tighter and clear image) and 250 ohm has a relatively diffused image. Soundstage is farther with 600 ohm.

However, later I have another DT880/600 recabled with some cost effective cable, and I was so surprised the change of sound (compared with SE setup), which is far greater than the difference between 250 and 600 ohm.

So 600 ohm will not disappointed you (provided you have capable amp) and recable makes even greater change. I was hesitate to recable my headphone since the cost may be even close to the phone itself (with expensive cable) until I found someone do a less expensive job for me. And I am amazed by the change.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #158 of 12,548
I'm not sure if I want the soundstage to be further as I like the intimacy of some recordings, but tighter and clear image is quite a draw.

I do not have the money to fund a balanced setup, but may be able to swing a SE recable for my 250 or 600ohm. Is a SE recable worth it?

I presume my SOHA II will be capable enough. I've always wanted to have the volume higher to load the pot less anyway, or put a stepped attenuator in.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #159 of 12,548
Quote:

I'm not sure if I want the soundstage to be further as I like the intimacy of some recordings, but tighter and clear image is quite a draw.

x2 Especially with a wide soundstage amp like the C-2C. How much further/wider is the soundstage on the 600s exactly? Very noticeable, or more subtle and compensated for by the increased image clarity?

Who did your recable, dukja? Someone on head-fi?

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #160 of 12,548
This headphone is one of the easiest to drive I have used. Mine only came in yesterday and is used (quite used) and recabled, but I don't take much stock in cables unless they are impaired in some ways like certain extension cables which smash the sound to pieces.

But damn is the bass low. I had a headphiled DT880 2003 which I sold to the kiwi who sold it later! I did it as I was to board an airplane and could not take them and didn't fancy paying postage and possible import duties in Korea.

Am I happy with these used, modded DT880 600 ohm? Yes. I can only imagine sticking with BD after this, possibly saving my pennies for the T1 if as good as it looks.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #162 of 12,548
Quote:

I do not have the money to fund a balanced setup, but may be able to swing a SE recable for my 250 or 600ohm. Is a SE recable worth it?

I was comparing SE stock 250ohm with SE stock 600 ohm first and got my impression of better image and noticeable (but not significant) farther soundstage. If you like DT880/250's soundstage already, I'll say it shouldn't concern you too much.

Later I compared SE stock 600ohm with recabled 600ohm (using XLR->1/4 so it is effectively SE). The sound improvement is mainly due to the different cable. Balanced connection, on the other hand, contribute more on the better 3D positioning in the soundstage (and balanced amp & dac certainly essential to the improvement.)

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #163 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who did your recable, dukja? Someone on head-fi?

I got my recabled DT880/600 from momomo6789 with Mogami wire W2534. He did a great job. I am not sure he is doing that as a business but you can check with him. I think there are many other headfi diyer doing that for people. Mogami wire is way cheaper than SilverDragon but I am surprised and pleased by the sound improvement already (either SE or balanced).

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #164 of 12,548
I just listen stock DT880/600 and 250 ohm with GCHA (with SE DAC and SE headphone connection). With some acoustic guitar, the impact of each string vibrating is heavier and crispier with 600 ohm. They sound very "sweet" with a layer of glaze on each note with 250 ohm. However, such sweetness comes from a little bit diffused sound. Some detailed information was smoothed out.

Listening to 250 ohm is a joyful and relaxed experience by enjoy the music. On the other hand, my 600 ohm gives me more realistic and thrilled experience to enjoy the clearer sonic images.

The recabled 600 ohm brings out more body to the sound even with SE connection. I'll need some more time to listen them both for further impression.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #165 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listen stock DT880/600 and 250 ohm with GCHA (with SE DAC and SE headphone connection). With some acoustic guitar, the impact of each string vibrating is heavier and crispier with 600 ohm. They sound very "sweet" with a layer of glaze on each note with 250 ohm. However, such sweetness comes from a little bit diffused sound. Some detailed information was smoothed out.

Listening to 250 ohm is a joyful and relaxed experience by enjoy the music. On the other hand, my 600 ohm gives me more realistic and thrilled experience to enjoy the clearer sonic images.

The recabled 600 ohm brings out more body to the sound even with SE connection. I'll need some more time to listen them both for further impression.

Interesting observations, diametrically opposite to what most posters here experienced. 600Ohm is crisper, surely doesn't sound this way to me?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back