The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 8, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #136 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did they tell you what color the 600 ohm drivers are? I just got some 600 ohm drivers from Beyer which had stickers on them, and so I am sure they are 600 ohm - so I could check the cable color to see if that's uniform.

How you identify the impedance of the driver is by the color slash on the driver by the 3 terminals. Here are the color formations:

32ohm- green
250ohm- red
600ohm- yellow

For what its worth, my recabled (fat pipe) 250 ohm is still my fave over the new 600 ohm version. The latter came with the long stock cable. But I'm only at about 50 hours (about 45 with a burn-in track on repeat; the balance on my head this week). I feel there's a boomier bass on the 600ohm version, and slightly less space in the soundstage. However, I'm hoping this will all catch up over time.

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #137 of 12,548
One of the drivers in my much-loved 880 '03 250ohms died. I've ordered a couple of 600ohm drivers to replace it with though I do wonder if the 03 enclosure will affect the sound compared to the 880 05 600ohms. Perhaps I could still just get a 250ohm if someone has tried it before and had it go badly for them.

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #139 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if anyone wants to sell a 600 ohm dt880, pm me. The kiwi has my old 2003 pair, but i am looking for 600 ohm. keep an eye out for me! please!

On sold it since to get my DT880 / 600
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #141 of 12,548
Do you think an LD MKIII tube amp will have enough power to properly drive these 600 ohm headphones?

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #142 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How you identify the impedance of the driver is by the color slash on the driver by the 3 terminals. Here are the color formations:

32ohm- green
250ohm- red
600ohm- yellow

i don't know what the deal with my dt880 pro is then. i have been telling everybody that i prefer the dt880 pro to the 600 ohm. well i got some stange news then! >my dt880 pro's have a YELLOW stripe on both the left and right drivers by the positive terminal. i rewired them and stuffed everything together real good. so i am sorry you will have to take my word for this. very strange indeed. so, do you think the stripe is a mistake(they are indeed 250) or the wrong drivers got into my cans? many people said i must have a superior pair. i have no idea now. i know this for sure because i still have the paper i wrote "yellow positive", that was from looking at them. i write down obvious things because i am anal. i guess this time it was a good thing maybe. well, now you say you prefer the 250 anyhow lol. whatever i have i think they are outstanding cans. one thing that may give you a hint is the volume knob on any amp has to go past the hd800 to get to the same level.

if anyone could speculate on this that would be great.

thanks,
music_man

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #143 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think an LD MKIII tube amp will have enough power to properly drive these 600 ohm headphones?

Yes. I am currently using that amp with these cans (DT880/600). Volume sounds good between 11 and 1.

Next amp will be an SS, so I can compare and contrast without having to rely on other people's perceptions.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #144 of 12,548
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know what the deal with my dt880 pro is then. i have been telling everybody that i prefer the dt880 pro to the 600 ohm. well i got some stange news then! >my dt880 pro's have a YELLOW stripe on both the left and right drivers by the positive terminal. i rewired them and stuffed everything together real good. so i am sorry you will have to take my word for this. very strange indeed. so, do you think the stripe is a mistake(they are indeed 250) or the wrong drivers got into my cans? many people said i must have a superior pair. i have no idea now. i know this for sure because i still have the paper i wrote "yellow positive", that was from looking at them. i write down obvious things because i am anal. i guess this time it was a good thing maybe. well, now you say you prefer the 250 anyhow lol. whatever i have i think they are outstanding cans. one thing that may give you a hint is the volume knob on any amp has to go past the hd800 to get to the same level.

if anyone could speculate on this that would be great.

thanks,
music_man

There's a very simple way to find out the impedance (ohm) of your headphones. That is, if you happen to have a multimeter lying around.

Assuming they are terminated with a regular TRS-connector (normal single-ended phone plug): Switch the multimeter to measuring ohms (the expected result should be somewhere between 0 and 1000 ohms, so with that knowledge you can switch the multimeter to the correct position). Put one of the contacts on the 'sleeve' of the headphone plug (this is ground) and put the other on either the 'ring' (the bit between the two black rings - this is the right channel) or on the 'tip' (this is the left channel). The multimeter should now give you a reading that is either (approximately) 32 or 250 or 600 ohms.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #145 of 12,548
A multimeter is a handy little device - everyone should have one, and you can get them at Radio Shack for pretty cheap. I use mine mostly to check continuity on stuff like cables, but indeed you can check headphone impedance as above - good job pointing that out, Drosera!

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #146 of 12,548
i didn't measure it yet. i just wanted to say that if you are building stuff you really should spring for a true-rms digital multimeter. the ones at radioshack are fine for very basic stuff.

music_man

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #148 of 12,548
I believe this has been answered here already. Those who have listened to both believe their sound is very similar with the 990's having more bass. One person has said somewhere that he feels the 990's appeared to have a larger soundstage as well. Very few it seems have compared both the 600 ohm models. I am curious about the soundstage claim as well since it seems to make sense since the 880 I believe is semi-open and the 990 claimed as open. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #149 of 12,548
The DT990 does have a slightly more spacious soundstage, but maybe a little more diffuse and with a little less image specificity compared to the 880 (speaking here about the 600 ohm versions of both). The 880 is more neutral; the 990 is generally a little warmer, and definitely has more bass, although with the 600 ohm version it's not boomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back