THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Nov 13, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,306 of 5,014
Quote:
I know the Wailin Jennys have had a mention, some months back, but this is nice, if you like stark female harmonies:

Thanks for posting this!  I was familiar with their album Bright Morning Stars - which is also wonderful - but I am clearly going to have to pick up 40 Days for this track and any other gems that may be on it.

Changing genres - here's another cut that's always worth a listen.  Nina's run at the end is just so damn good.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #1,307 of 5,014
Quote:
one more ray duet with another of my favorite artists (truly her work with bumpus is my favorite, but alas, they split, and double alas, no one knows who bumpus is anyway)

I've just been going back through some of my old posts in this thread, in order to edit them to type in the artist names (for search purposes - I've come to realise what a pain it is when the search function doesn't function for this thread, due to people, like myself, who've just relied upon the Youtube label rather than actually typing the artist name) and listening to this, it struck me how much Rachael Yamagata reminds me of Margo Timmins, of Cowboy Junkies fame. (P.S. I am also a big, big fan of Ray Lamontagne - he has sheer CLASS by the bucketload).

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,308 of 5,014
Quote:

Thanks for posting this!  I was familiar with their album Bright Morning Stars - which is also wonderful - but I am clearly going to have to pick up 40 Days for this track and any other gems that may be on it.

Yes, '40 Days' is a nice album, another track from which can be found in this previous post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/600#post_7659384

If you haven't done so already, please don't forget to check out the solo offerings by Heather Masse and Ruth Moody, both of which are well worth a listen (I am particularly fond of Ruth's album 'In the Garden', and I myself owe that to this thread!) 
beerchug.gif

Ruth:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/705#post_8030549

Heather:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/705#post_8001705

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,309 of 5,014
As per my earlier remarks, can I make a request to all contributors of this excellent thread (undoubtedly one of the very best there has ever been on Head-fi):

Will anyone contributing to this thread please make the effort to actually type the artist name in your post(s), so that the thread search can work?
It would also be really helpful if you would make the effort to go back and edit your old posts if this is relevant to you. I'm gradually doing this myself, for my own previous posts.

This thread has become a fantastic resource for anyone looking to expand their music collection but it's value is hugely reduced if the search function is crippled from working properly.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,311 of 5,014
WARNING: this post is cheesy 70s stuff!  
wink_face.gif

'Nuge' mentioned Mama Cass Elliot some time ago in this thread, but I don't recall Cass's sister, Leah Kunkelhaving been mentioned. She provided some great background vocals for artists like Art Garfunkel (e.g. on 'Scissors Cut'):

To be honest, her voice is much better than her choice of material, which now sounds very dated indeed... but a nice voice nonetheless. Something of a wasted opportunity, in that regard, unfortunately. If you listen to her backing vocals on the above Garfunkel track, you'll see how much potential she had in her heyday.

In some ways, her 1970s 'smooth adult contemporary' style is reminiscent of Rita Coolidge:

I can't leave this post without actually posting some Mama Cass:

and keeping the Mamas & Papas connection, let's not forget Michelle Phillips:

and, also connected, of course, are Wilson Phillips. They're very pop-oriented, but beneath that mass-market approach, I think their vocal harmonies are very underrated:

according to wikipedia:

Chynna Phillips [of Wilson Phillips] and her mother Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and Papas are the only mother/daughter combination to perform on separate songs that reached number one on the Billboard Charts

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,312 of 5,014
I know this is really old stuff, but a good voice is a good voice, provided one is open-minded about it (it's before my time, and that doesn't stop me respecting it). Judith Durham had a great voice (and is still singing, as far as I know):

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,313 of 5,014
Nov 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,314 of 5,014
Lucy Rose:

Just realised I also posted Lucy elsewhere in the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/930#post_8289477

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,315 of 5,014
Not really the kind of singing style that I'm into (too 'whiny'/'squeaky', which is common in American R&B/Pop crossover music these days), but, to be fair, I think Tori Kelly has a bit of talent which may bear fruit as she matures as a performer:

Also see:

Edei

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,318 of 5,014
One of my favourite songs lately, really like her voice 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #1,320 of 5,014
I'm not a huge fan of most of the music on Nashville, but this Civil Wars cover is fantastic.  Clare Bowen's voice is sweet and haunting all at once, and they've got the tight harmony nailed.  

I'd purchase it right away, but evidently Big Machine gave apple an exclusive, and I refuse to install itunes on any of my machines.  

edit: forgot to mention, if you enjoy the tune and would like to hear the original artist perform it, they have a fee live album you can download from: http://thecivilwars.com/music.php that includes this song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back