THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,336 of 5,018
Loreena Mckennitt - all her stuff is incredible. Her tone is both ethereal and sensual.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,339 of 5,018
Quote:

Great find! Thank you. And did you notice James Carville on violin?!  LOL

For sure, she's one of the best. 
... And yea, haha, I'm glad Carville is getting into some multicultural music when he's not commenting on politics. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,340 of 5,018
Laura Pausini - E ritorno da te

I really like listening to this while sitting around or studying. She mainly sings in Italian and Spanish, but she has a few songs in English...although I haven't taken the time to listen to them

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,344 of 5,018
Kind of a lot but...

I love her voice, it's so different. 

La Roux - Bulletproof (Abbey Road Sessions)

Jessie Ware 

Imogen Heap

Gin Wigmore

Amy Lee, from Evanescence

Robyn, something about her voice is just so sweet;

Oh Land, she's barely known to be honest, and deserves way more. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,346 of 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Robyn, something about her voice is just so sweet;

Robyn intrigues me - I think I recall her being in the UK singles chart 5 years ago. Although her style differs, her voice sounds (to me, at least) rather reminiscent of a young Kate Bush.

If she could find some more mature material, I think she would have a lot of potential.

EDIT: just checked, and yes, she was in the UK charts a few years ago, with a song entitled 'With Every Heartbeat'

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,348 of 5,018
Quote:
Laura Marling

go to a LM gig, it will change your life. or download bootlegs if u can't afford to travel to a place where she goes to.. i can't, but i can tell that it';s lifechanging fosho. 

i have since bought like, 2 t shirts from LM official website, made my own custom t shirt with "alas i love lm" written on them, and " love and logic" quote from her 3rd album artwerk

bought her 1st cd cus that is the only one with true raw talent, not that the others are not more mature. 

watched every live vids i can find online,
bought a guitar(acoustic) a year ago, tried to play her songs right off the bat, failed. ( i don't know how to play guitar)

i WILL get to it this winter, or else i will kneel right at home and say sorry to LM..

at least that cost zero cents lolz

what else...oh, bought the bunting necklace from Tatty devine, bought a watchband with the same color( britain rede white blue)

i am just waiting for summer again so i can rock this outfit, maybe if i have cash i will get a v moda m100 on sale or something with custom lm logo or something...i havea stalled learning to use Photoshop as well, otherwise i would have bought a vmoda from official website a long time ago..

the beyerdynamics and the ./......welll basically any other headphone customization is just meh comparing to v moda. yet the fact that v moda is used by a lot of trash dj makes me feel bad. but the way v moda cans deliver bass just cannot be replaced ..one of it's own kind.

favorite lm song: my manic and i(one of my friend has only listened to it twice in like a 2 week interval, i don't think she has listened to it other than those times cus i didn't show her the name of the song, but she went-gosh i love that song). best lm song: night after night( i mean come on, this is just perfection). purest lm song: failure/new romantic(just raw, just fricking raw). best new song?: master hunter ( is it a coinicidence that i like this song and ALSO likes to play carry/dps role in games, "thx" to WOW for coining the hunter class)

basically i don';t need to look at any other singer when i liksten to laura marling. sad thing is she is not yougn anymore, and although she will never admit it, she knows that the raw talent that got her started is never back or there again. so is everyone else, and the fact that those early songs and gigs are so good, just further reinstate that whatever she does later, it will only go on the tangent of anything lower or equal to joni mitchell, cus joni's stuff are deep and her voice is deep. lm 's idol , being jm and neil young , i don't think she can surpass jm easily but she obivouly have the will and the skill to do it, maybe in a few years, maybe in a decade. but again, i have to say if i were to choose a song to listen to when i die, or play at my funeral, it would NOT be some ****** song from some ****** chart, it would not be some dumb song from pretentious songwritiers who call themselves singer, it would not be anything that anyone would put at their funeral, but it might be one laura marling song. like seriously. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,349 of 5,018
Quote:

She reminds me a bit of Dar Williams. There's an unpretentious 'honesty' to her voice.

exactly, that has always been who she is and who she were. as she sang" let it be known that i was who i am."

hers is the purest of songwriting, the grandest of self endulgence and raw talent. and modesty and pride that no human being come close to.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,350 of 5,018

Watched/heard this at the end of a Rick Stein program a few nights ago and just can't let go. Although it's "world-music classical", it so reminds me of classic 4AD ethereal stuff
bigsmile_face.gif

Doe anyone know anything about her?? I've tried to find CDs: unsuccessfully
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back