The Basshead Club
Feb 23, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #9,301 of 11,286
  These might be good, but they might also be just another set of DJ cans. You know what their MSRP is?

Aaah, my point.
Last year they tried to sell similar ones for 550-600 in Japan. I got friends who are DJ's and they are to a man not rich. They have the life they like and some toys but not rich. They pay for the club time and a % of profit.

He's saying "same headphones" meaning same drivers. So these are redesigned overpriced cans being price adjusted by the market. If RPGWizard is right these are the same drivers going into M-Audio's new big brother. THAT is worth 250 bucks......Oh hell yeah. 

I returned 2 headphones 1 because they were NOT what i thought and the other because it broke. I get to be on the front of a release by a good manufacturer and worse case scenario is I do what i did today...return em.  The Japan price is 250. I think this is M-Audio's brother no? Maybe they release under that brand in America?

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #9,302 of 11,286
We will see but I also think the HDH50 is for the US/europe market (they are all over europe stores already listed but not in stock) and the AKAI for the asian markets. Hopefully they are what we want them to be. :)

I haven't seen the specs for the HDH50 yet, when those are released it should be quite obvious if they are exactly the same or not.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #9,303 of 11,286

Aaah, my point.
Last year they tried to sell similar ones for 550-600 in Japan. I got friends who are DJ's and they are to a man not rich. They have the life they like and some toys but not rich. They pay for the club time and a % of profit.

He's saying "same headphones" meaning same drivers. So these are redesigned overpriced cans being price adjusted by the market. If RPGWizard is right these are the same drivers going into M-Audio's new big brother. THAT is worth 250 bucks......Oh hell yeah. 

I returned 2 headphones 1 because they were NOT what i thought and the other because it broke. I get to be on the front of a release by a good manufacturer and worse case scenario is I do what i did today...return em.  The Japan price is 250. I think this is M-Audio's brother no? Maybe they release under that brand in America?

Yeah, M-Audio would be the better deal if they are the same and sound the same. Some brands tell their OEM manufacturers to tune their headphones a little differently so they end up sounding a bit different despite having the same drivers and cups.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #9,304 of 11,286
  We will see but I also think the HDH50 is for the US/europe market (they are all over europe stores already listed but not in stock) and the AKAI for the asian markets. Hopefully they are what we want them to be. :)

I haven't seen the specs for the HDH50 yet, when those are released it should be quite obvious if they are exactly the same or not.

1. Studio-grade quality, tuning, and frequency response
  2. 50mm neodymium drivers provide critical audio detail
  3. Gunmetal aluminum and steel construction
  4. Closed-back design prevents sound from leaking in or out
  5. Around-the-ear padding remains comfortable during long sessions
  6. Audio cable with 1/8" connector; 1/4" adapter included
  7. Communication cable with built-in microphone included

<MPC HEADPHONES Noomonakino>

1. Frequency response and tuning of high-quality
  2. 50mm powerful driver that employs a neodymium magnet
  3. Over-ear design with a cushion of high-quality
  4. High sound insulation and sealing sense to cut off the noise
  5. Sturdy body of steel and aluminum that is machined gunmetal
  6. Also supports standard stereo jack to stereo mini-jack and 1/4 "adapter included
  7. Communication cable included in the microphone
  8. Code can be mounted from both the left and right sides
  9. Weight: about 383 g
  11. MPC headphone
  12. Carrying case
  13. 1/4 "inch (6.3mm) adapter included audio cable
  14. Built-in microphone Communication Cable
  15. Manual

If these 2 companies are related......it smells like these two are close brothers.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #9,305 of 11,286
I'm thinking of frequency response range, impedance and such to know whether or not it's the same drivers or not.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #9,306 of 11,286
  I'm thinking of frequency response range, impedance and such to know whether or not it's the same drivers or not.

The AKAI are mentioning EDM and Hip Hop. They are releasing on Feb 28 and M-Audio appears to be March....early. The cup backing plate on the M-Audio new is the identical one to AKAI's last year release. Quickly pulled. That 3 piece line is gone. No hint of it on the site. I hope something was learned....price **cough** and whatever else before what appears to be a re branding and almost simultaneous release.

They mentioning only 2 genre' is.....music to my ears
biggrin.gif

Crossing my fingers.
This site has a good zoom over mouse hover pic of the M audio
http://www.homestudio.fr/m-audio-hd-h50-casque-studio.html

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #9,307 of 11,286
Yeah I use their old vintage integratyed amp as my headphone amp. There's serious driving power from it, but lately it's developed some sort of hum and hiss that is audible when no music is being played, so I think this amp is reaching its final destination. It's okay though, there are other vintage amplifiers out there in good condition. It's strange, you use it for bass boosting, and you get BASS. Not just FiiO Bass Boost bass, but BASS. Not exactly the kind of granular control I imagine some people here would like, but good enough for me.

You bring up a great point for the bassheads. All I have at home is VINTAGE amps or receivers - 7 of them. With the exception of my portable setup, which is amped by an Arrow 3G, everything else gets pumped through a full size amp that really lends itself well to bass boosting in its pure form. Throw in a loudness switch and these vintage amps add such nice bass tone and quality as well as quantity. Guaranteed to please the basshead in you. Couple of examples.......

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #9,308 of 11,286

ill give a quick shout out to the people who discussed using ear protection at gigs, i think it was on wednesday that we talked about it. i went to a very loud concert yesterday (black sun empire if youve heard of them) and i took my faders (v-moda "ear armor") with me. i have to say thats the best decision ive made in a while
tongue_smile.gif

i met some people there aside the folks i went with and they all asked "what the hell is that?" and then after i answered they all said "yea youre right, theyre really going overboard with the volume here". this whole business makes me smile - im enjoying the party responsibly (well, as far as my ears go anyway).

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #9,310 of 11,286
Thanks Hawaiibadboy. Let's see some pics of your onkyo :)

That stack on the bottom picture is mouth watering Oregonian. I've always wondered how old amps would measure with todays criteria. I can imagine there being some distortion, output impedance being all whack and all sorts of strange behaviour measurement wise. But they sound good and as said, the "driving power" is serious. I don't know, it's one thing to measure well, but you have to like as well.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #9,311 of 11,286
Wasn't there a 120 Ohm Output Impedance standard back in the day?

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #9,313 of 11,286
As far as the hfi 580s go i think its strange for one to think they are shrill at all. The treble was boosted but it was a very slight v shape. I agree on the bass cannon thing though, they arent. Lol. Great quality bass though.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #9,314 of 11,286

ill give a quick shout out to the people who discussed using ear protection at gigs, i think it was on wednesday that we talked about it. i went to a very loud concert yesterday (black sun empire if youve heard of them) and i took my faders (v-moda "ear armor") with me. i have to say thats the best decision ive made in a while
tongue_smile.gif

i met some people there aside the folks i went with and they all asked "what the hell is that?" and then after i answered they all said "yea youre right, theyre really going overboard with the volume here". this whole business makes me smile - im enjoying the party responsibly (well, as far as my ears go anyway).

No worries, keep it up.

Also: BSE are amazing. 
basshead.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #9,315 of 11,286
  Thanks Hawaiibadboy. Let's see some pics of your onkyo :)

That stack on the bottom picture is mouth watering Oregonian. I've always wondered how old amps would measure with todays criteria. I can imagine there being some distortion, output impedance being all whack and all sorts of strange behaviour measurement wise. But they sound good and as said, the "driving power" is serious. I don't know, it's one thing to measure well, but you have to like as well.

I'd guess with very high sensitivity equipment you'd be able to measure some distortion, but there is NONE to this human's ears.   Just amazing sound and limitless adjustability on the tone with bass to die for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back