The Basshead Club
Feb 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #9,316 of 11,286

I'd guess with very high sensitivity equipment you'd be able to measure some distortion, but there is NONE to this human's ears.   Just amazing sound and limitless adjustability on the tone with bass to die for. 

Yeah, I do have some humming and hissing when it's quiet though. But it used to be pretty silent before, so as said, I'm suspecting there are some internal work to be done with my particular amp. However, I'm probably not going to ... I'll probably just buy another amp when this one dies or the noise becomes unbearable. Here in Sweden I can find old vintage Marantz amps pretty cheap from time to time, and I've heard they're pretty good sounding as well, especially for headphones. My AKAI has been good sounding for headphones, but unfortunately, it's become too dark for speakers. On the other hand, I've invested in docking speakers from JBL with lightning contacts, and I have to say, the sound is quite impressive for such small speakers. Tech is really moving forward in these areas.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #9,318 of 11,286
   old vintage Marantz amps pretty cheap from time to time, and I've heard they're pretty good sounding as well, especially for headphones.

Herein is the beauty of vintage amps - the headphone out is not an opamp, it's directly off the amp with a resistor involved, so the clarity and power is there. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #9,319 of 11,286

Herein is the beauty of vintage amps - the headphone out is not an opamp

I know, I just said that. LOL

However, my point is that old amps that sounded like crap back in the day are still going to sound like crap now. From my understanding, Marantz is one of those brands that are supposed to sound pretty good, even in the lower price classes.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #9,320 of 11,286
While listening to DT770 80 Ohm I noticed some distortion on high frequencies. Is that normal on these headphones?
Running them from H320 + E11.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #9,321 of 11,286
While listening to DT770 80 Ohm I noticed some distortion on high frequencies. Is that normal on these headphones?
Running them from H320 + E11.

When I encounter distortion in high frequencies I always replay the segment a few times with different headphones to determine whether or not it's the recording. It's almost always the recording. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #9,323 of 11,286
Feb 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #9,324 of 11,286
Nice, those M-Audio HDH50 might be a good bang-for-buck option then, I see them already listed for £113 GBP = 138 EUR = $188 USD. (that's including UK tax of 20%). MSRP was 179 EUR or something like that.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #9,325 of 11,286
Now to get our hands on an pair.....................

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #9,327 of 11,286
  Now to get our hands on an pair.....................

I'll have the Akai on Friday or Saturday.

The interview (I saw another vid too) stated Akai is released "ashta" which means tomorrow? Maybe that's when vendors get it? They said the M-Audio was "rai getsu" which means next month. That might mean in Japan?

This cosplay dj got 2....I just want 1!!
biggrin.gif

The 2nd time I watched the vid I was amazed by the beat mixer/sampler interfaced with the iphone. 150 bucks.....tha fuuu? I'm not a dj but that looks like fun.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #9,328 of 11,286
DT770/80's with Alpha pads. As cCasper TFG stated in an earlier post (can't find it, but I know he did
biggrin.gif
) they really do increase the sub bass! If I remember correctly, cCasper TFG also said they made the treble sharper. I'm not 100% sure what he meant by that, but they definitely affect the treble as well. I wouldn't describe it as sharper, but the DT's now sound a bit more open, a bit more airy and I get a bigger sense of space.

I need to listen more, but the one thing that is for sure, they are staying on! PERMANENTLY! DAT comfort!!

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #9,329 of 11,286
I must say I really like the DT770/80 Ohm, but I'm sending them back to try out HD8 DJ and maybe Shure 1540. If I won't like any of them, I'll probably end up with the Beyers. And then... who knows... the Alpha Pads seem to be very interesting.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #9,330 of 11,286
  DT770/80's with Alpha pads. As cCasper TFG stated in an earlier post (can't find it, but I know he did
biggrin.gif
) they really do increase the sub bass! If I remember correctly, cCasper TFG also said they made the treble sharper. I'm not 100% sure what he meant by that, but they definitely affect the treble as well. I wouldn't describe it as sharper, but the DT's now sound a bit more open, a bit more airy and I get a bigger sense of space.

I need to listen more, but the one thing that is for sure, they are staying on! PERMANENTLY! DAT comfort!!

I'm reluctant to try this, due to how comfortable the standard pads are.

How do these compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back