The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #5,912 of 7,138
Well guys.  It seems like I am happy with my gear.  I can't seem to find anyone left in this forum from the original LCD2 thread.  They were good times, we knew we had a winner and a lot of professionals came in and educated us all.  There is a lot of good information in the original LCD2 thread and it seems to have all been for nothing.

That crowd was different to the the crowd now in Summit-Fi, they never jumped from FOTM to FOTM...they got their LCD2 and disappeared, found new hobbies and moved on.  I know now why that is. 

Probably best to avoid Summit-Fi, I find them incomprehensible.

No other headphone can claim better objective measurements and to my ears they sounded like real life...as in not just music, but also movies - car engines, truck engines - these things I never thought audio reproduction could ever reproduce correctly.

Enjoy your LCD2s. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #5,913 of 7,138

they got their LCD2 and disappeared, found new hobbies and moved on.  I know now why that is. 

I've been having that exact thought recently, if it weren't for the LCD-X, the LCD-2 would be my end game (Audeze's headphones definitely stood out from the rest of the crowd of summit-fi cans in my experience). They may still be, I haven't compared the LCD-X to my current LCD-2 setup, which has some FR changes and is powered by a speaker amp (which I think really cranks these headphones up to 11).

Was the original LCD-2 thread deleted from head-fi?

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #5,914 of 7,138
  Well guys.  It seems like I am happy with my gear.  I can't seem to find anyone left in this forum from the original LCD2 thread.  They were good times, we knew we had a winner and a lot of professionals came in and educated us all.  There is a lot of good information in the original LCD2 thread and it seems to have all been for nothing.

That crowd was different to the the crowd now in Summit-Fi, they never jumped from FOTM to FOTM...they got their LCD2 and disappeared, found new hobbies and moved on.  I know now why that is. 

Probably best to avoid Summit-Fi, I find them incomprehensible.

No other headphone can claim better objective measurements and to my ears they sounded like real life...as in not just music, but also movies - car engines, truck engines - these things I never thought audio reproduction could ever reproduce correctly.

Enjoy your LCD2s. 

Great words. I love mine - thanks mate!

redface.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #5,915 of 7,138

I've been having that exact thought recently, if it weren't for the LCD-X, the LCD-2 would be my end game (Audeze's headphones definitely stood out from the rest of the crowd of summit-fi cans in my experience). They may still be, I haven't compared the LCD-X to my current LCD-2 setup, which has some FR changes and is powered by a speaker amp (which I think really cranks these headphones up to 11).

Was the original LCD-2 thread deleted from head-fi?

The first post in the appreciation thread will have a link to the original LCD2 thread.

That thread got locked.  It held over a thousand pages within a year.  Obviously it drew the wrath of the STAX and HD800 crowd and it deteriorated and had to be locked.

They keep saying the HD800 is the most neutral, uncolored headphone.  Rubbish - The LCD-2 always has, my one definitely did, been more transparent to the recording.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5,916 of 7,138
Actually if you refer to FR of the HD800 it is most transparent to what problems you have with your source and reveals every bit of flaws and anomalies with the recording. Tyll recommends them monitoring and they are finicky with amplification. The only slight bad thing about them is the 5-6k treble peak can be remedied with amplification. LCD2's on the other hand while natural sounding I would not say entirely neutral as it has it's own lot of flaws with sound. From what it sounds like the LCD-X is the neutral take on the LCD2, LCD3 and LCDXC.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #5,917 of 7,138
I don't care what Tyll or anybody says.  At reference volume.  The LCD2 is more accurate, more transparent and faster.

I can decipher how any track is recorded, with what type of microphone and how far the mic is away from the soundsource.  I cannot do this with the HD800.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #5,918 of 7,138
  I don't care what Tyll or anybody says.  At reference volume.  The LCD2 is more accurate, more transparent and faster.

I can decipher how any track is recorded, with what type of microphone and how far the mic is away from the soundsource.  I cannot do this with the HD800.

That's fine and you're entitled to your own opinion but don't make it sound like it as if it is fact which is commonly used on these boards.

Funny thing is I can't do that with the LCD2's but can with any other headphone not carrying a dark sound signature or maybe you've only heard them briefly. LCD's also need to be cranked up more on volume due to it's laid back nature.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5,919 of 7,138

That's fine and you're entitled to your own opinion but don't make it sound like it as if it is fact which is commonly used on these boards.

Funny thing is I can't do that with the LCD2's but can with any other headphone not carrying a dark sound signature or maybe you've only heard them briefly. LCD's also need to be cranked up more on volume due to it's laid back nature.

I'm not entirely sure that's the reason on your last point. I think it's more of an ortho thing as I felt the same way with the HE-500s and HE-6s.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5,923 of 7,138

Not with the guys I've worked with over the years. I've seen HD600s in studios, but it definitely isn't commonplace. Perhaps it's a locality thing. 

I know few of the worlds best EDM DJ's use the HD800's for mastering and such. I know 3 local sound recording engineers that setup gigs for massive events use the HD800's as well as monitors for mastering, one of them I know personally from while back and measured my modded rev.1's. 

I've never seen HD600's in studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back