The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 11, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #4,006 of 7,138
Got my LCD-2s about a month ago after listening to and liking my AKG 550s. We all know there is no comparison nor would one expect there to be at the price differential. I am now (recently) running my LCD2s with the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo upgraded (within 2 weeks) from the Lyr/Bifrost. Really this is all still burning in but if it gets any better than what it is I will run out of superlatives

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,008 of 7,138
I have a new pair of lcd 2.2 arriving today. I will be comparing them to see if they are better than the he500 i bought last week. Only one is staying and the other will be returned. I have not heard the lcd2 since I sold the first model a couple years ago. Looking forward to the comparisons/

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #4,009 of 7,138
They're different but I'd put them on the same level. Slight edge to the LCD 2.2 maybe. 

The HE500 is way more comfortable to me, and the sound is more warm and smooth. They both respond well to amplification changes, but the LCD 2 a bit more so. 

The mids on the HE500 are better, highs are in the same league but bass edge goes to the LCD 2.

That's about all I remember.

Quote:
I have a new pair of lcd 2.2 arriving today. I will be comparing them to see if they are better than the he500 i bought last week. Only one is staying and the other will be returned. I have not heard the lcd2 since I sold the first model a couple years ago. Looking forward to the comparisons/

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4,010 of 7,138
hey, just received my first lcd-2 rev 2 (rosewood) from justin of headamp.com. they are just beautiful, sounds great! (i'm coming from DT880). and above all, justin was just a pleasure to do business with. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4,011 of 7,138
Quote:
They're different but I'd put them on the same level. Slight edge to the LCD 2.2 maybe. 

The HE500 is way more comfortable to me, and the sound is more warm and smooth. They both respond well to amplification changes, but the LCD 2 a bit more so. 

The mids on the HE500 are better, highs are in the same league but bass edge goes to the LCD 2.

I am looking forward to the lcd 2.2 audition and really love the he500 so it will take some unseating for me and I guess it will be more of what has the most synergy with the genre I listen too. Both will be used on the V200 and Oppo BDP95 source.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4,012 of 7,138
Quote:

Agree. Only the highs on the HE500 with velours have the edge for me.
Quote:
hey, just received my first lcd-2 rev 2 (rosewood) from justin of headamp.com. they are just beautiful, sounds great! (i'm coming from DT880). and above all, justin was just a pleasure to do business with. 

Thats one beautiful set you've got there. Congrats!

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #4,013 of 7,138
Quote:
Agree. Only the highs on the HE500 with velours have the edge for me.
Thats one beautiful set you've got there. Congrats!

I dunno, I kind of detest the treble of HE500s coming out of velours...a little too much upper mids energy and mid-treble hump, doesn't sound fluid enough.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,014 of 7,138
Quote:
I dunno, I kind of detest the treble of HE500s coming out of velours...a little too much upper mids energy and mid-treble hump, doesn't sound fluid enough.

Yeah, they are just a bit too warm with the pleathers for me. The velours seem to let them breath and help to free the treble energy. I did use them for classical though and I suppose it may depend on what type of music you listen too. :) 

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #4,016 of 7,138
Quote:
The LCD2 just arrived. Kudos to Justin for his quick shipping  yesterday. What are the hours need for these to open up? I assume about 100 hrs. What were the biggest difference you heard after that time frame?

To be fair a lot of it was brain burn in for me on account of the dark sound sig. But things like imaging and control got better after as little as a few days (constantly playing them) I remember mine sounding quite "boxy" to beging with. But they certainly don't now.

Congrats! Did you go for bamboo or rosey?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,017 of 7,138
Quote:
To be fair a lot of it was brain burn in for me on account of the dark sound sig. But things like imaging and control got better after as little as a few days (constantly playing them) I remember mine sounding quite "boxy" to beging with. But they certainly don't now.

I got the bamboo. my first lcd2 was the rosewood and they cracked. Will see if i like these better than the he500

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #4,018 of 7,138
Quote:
I got the bamboo. my first lcd2 was the rosewood and they cracked. Will see if i like these better than the he500

Good stuff, keep us updated
popcorn.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,019 of 7,138

Yeah, right out of the box mine are fairly offensive. Leaving them playing to open them up, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back