The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 8, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 7,138

Quote:
I asked about a time reference for the repair but no reply.

Theyre probably kinda busy right now since RMAF is imminent, a.k.a new Audeze stuff is imminent :)

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 7,138

Quote:
Theyre probably kinda busy right now since RMAF is imminent, a.k.a new Audeze stuff is imminent :)

Jude just teased in Head-Fi TV episode 013 that Audeze will be introducing a new headphone model at RMAF, and of course, their speaker.  The pre-announcement is out of the bag.  Let the speculation begin.  :)

And here I just bought an LCD-2 rev2.  Am I going to be kicking myself for bad timing on the purchase?  
ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #18 of 7,138
I think there's already a thread about whatever Audeze is releasing at Canjam. I just hope that Jude brings a pair of whatever they are to Tokyo with him.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 7,138

These are starting to grow on me massively. Although I'm at least a semi-believer in burn in I haven't done any at all yet. Their best characteristic for me is the bass. Amazing texture and very deep. On the opposite side of the spectrum I find that I do need to eq the highs up a bit As detailed as they are, I find they can get lost in some recordings. Looking forward to upgrading the rest of my equipment to get more out of them, not sure when I'll be able to afford to though....

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #22 of 7,138
Probably because everything that can be said about the LCD-2 has been (at least for a while). The other thread was fairly tangential to the actual cans themselves.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #24 of 7,138

Quote:
These are starting to grow on me massively. Although I'm at least a semi-believer in burn in I haven't done any at all yet. Their best characteristic for me is the bass. Amazing texture and very deep. On the opposite side of the spectrum I find that I do need to eq the highs up a bit As detailed as they are, I find they can get lost in some recordings. Looking forward to upgrading the rest of my equipment to get more out of them, not sure when I'll be able to afford to though....

If you're eq'ing up the treble on the LCD-2, why not get an HE6 or HE500 or any number of other headphones that have more treble?  The whole point of the LCD-2 is that it does not have exaggerated treble. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #25 of 7,138

Quote:
If you're eq'ing up the treble on the LCD-2, why not get an HE6 or HE500 or any number of other headphones that have more treble?  The whole point of the LCD-2 is that it does not have exaggerated treble. 

Because of the rest of it's characteristics. Just a bit of EQ for some recordings enhances the overall experience for me :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #26 of 7,138

Quote:
And here I just bought an LCD-2 rev2.  Am I going to be kicking myself for bad timing on the purchase?  
ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

I dont think that the new headphone is going to be a direct replacement or anything close to the LCD 2, since the rev 2 is very recent, just about 3 months ago. I personally think its going to be closed back (unlikely imo), a lot cheaper (i.e. grado ps500 from ps1000) or a lot more expensive (around $2-3000) aiming at the stax 007/009). 

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #28 of 7,138

Quote:
Just got the prepaid FedEx label.  They are on their way back.  They will repair or replace it says which is fine.  I don't care either way.  I was hoping they'd ship me a new pair already like they've done in the past but no.  Plus with upcoming RMAF/CanJam I believe they'd be pretty busy so not holding my breath here.  Bummed for sure.  I was listening to Pet Sounds at the time.  It switched over to the sessions part and I thought the left was going to kick in any minute but.....................

They are going back to Santa Ana, CA.  I never paid attention before because I thought they were manufactured in Nevada where their business is listed.

you gotta admit though, that the customer service they are demonstrating is still miles ahead of most companies. 

I am wondering if you were to press them, and offer to give them your credit card details and send your new pair immediately.  That way if your old pair doesnt show up they know they can charge you for the new pair.  Many companies operate this way when they want to give their customers instant turn-around.

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #29 of 7,138

Quote:

I've been playing with EQ, in part to boost the treble.  I'm pretty certain I haven't turned my LCD-2 rev2 into an HE500.  
biggrin.gif

I've only had my LCD-2 for less than two weeks.  I'm still very much in exploratory mode.  Playing around trying to learn what makes it do music for me.  I've discovered that a little bump at around 3 kHz really helps.  My LCD-2 sounds a little dull there and a little bump at 3 kHz is just what is needed.  Ah, violins and classical music sounds better now.  Then I decided to experiment with adding some treble to that.  So I did a shelf EQ that would cover the 3 kHz boost along with the treble.  This is what I've got right now:

1cae5dd6_LCD-2_eq.jpeg

Ah, much better.  3 kHz boost and treble.  An LCD-2 with midrange presence and treble that I like.  :)

I am using an Asgard amp for now.  I know it's not doing the best job for the LCD-2.  I've compared the LCD-2 in other amps at meets and noticed the Asgard is one that more often than not leaves me with a feeling of "where'd the treble go?".  While some better amps for the LCD-2 don't make me feel the treble is missing so much. When I tried a Liquid Fire amp the treble was pretty darn there and soundstage was bigger and better as well.  So when I get a better amp my EQ preference might change.  I still see myself using a 3 kHz boost though even if I do dial down the treble later.

Right now I really like it with the shelf EQ.  Classical symphonies sound much better.  With no EQ the classical was a bit dull.  With the EQ the classical is "ah! very nice".  Rock music also benefits with the shelf EQ.  It's all good.  I like.  :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #30 of 7,138

I disagree.  I had a few problems with my Woo Audio WA22 and the first time Jack turned it around in less than 24 hours.  Total round trip w/repair was 4 days Chicago to New York.  Music Direct sent me the wrong Shunyata power cord.  I called them and they sent a new one out immediately 2 day delivery plus emailed me the return pre-paid shipping slip.

The phones are on the FedEx truck out for delivery today.  Let's see how long this all takes.
Quote:

you gotta admit though, that the customer service they are demonstrating is still miles ahead of most companies. 

I am wondering if you were to press them, and offer to give them your credit card details and send your new pair immediately.  That way if your old pair doesnt show up they know they can charge you for the new pair.  Many companies operate this way when they want to give their customers instant turn-around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back