The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #1,621 of 7,138
Using LCD-2 without amp or with cheap amp is pointelss. You can get better sound with cheaper cans and a decent soundcard. The investment in LCD-2 is reasonable if you can make them to run at full potential. Otherwise your $995 won't sing as $995. :)

May 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,622 of 7,138
Nods.  Better off spending that money on a used Senn 600/650 and capable amp while you save up.

May 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,623 of 7,138
hello,
i'm about to get the lcd-2, but wont be able to get an amp for a couple of months probably. can it hurt the headphones in any kind of way if i listened to them without an amp for maybe 3-2 months ?

note: this is a serious nooby question.

But he will eventually get one! No point wasting money on mid-fi (upgrading etc) if he is already set on getting the LCD2s. Besides the LCD2s still sounds decent without a proper amp. I don't mind it running straight out of my Cowon J3 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,624 of 7,138
That's why Audeze provides a matching sized hex screw key or "allen key" for you tighten the yoke hex screw.

ARE YOU SURE? I think i know something... 

May 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,626 of 7,138
I would have to agree - for a while I was using the LCD-2 from a soundcard and it soudned better than fine - in fact I still preferred it to the Grado RS1i I was using from the same setup.  you lose quite a bit of money buying and selling headphones and amplifiers - nothing wrong with having a sub-optimal LCD-2 for a short time while saving for an amlifier.  It's not like the K1000 and HE-6 where it is really not sensible to use without an amplifier.  Many have said the LCD-2 sounds quite decent from an ipod.

I used a $500 sub-optimal (too bright) setup for quite a long time with my HE-6 while a $1900 DAC sat on my desk without an amplifer to use it with - I survived.  There's not much point investing in "make do" equipment if you are only going to use it for a couple of months while you save up.

May 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,627 of 7,138
Quote:
I would have to agree - for a while I was using the LCD-2 from a soundcard and it soudned better than fine - in fact I still preferred it to the Grado RS1i I was using from the same setup.  you lose quite a bit of money buying and selling headphones and amplifiers - nothing wrong with having a sub-optimal LCD-2 for a short time while saving for an amlifier.  It's not like the K1000 and HE-6 where it is really not sensible to use without an amplifier.  Many have said the LCD-2 sounds quite decent from an ipod.

I used a $500 sub-optimal (too bright) setup for quite a long time with my HE-6 while a $1900 DAC sat on my desk without an amplifer to use it with - I survived.  There's not much point investing in "make do" equipment if you are only going to use it for a couple of months while you save up.

Well said. I think id rather get the LCD2 and make do without a good amplifier for a while, than use the money for the LCD2 to get a 'lesser' headphone and amplifier deal at the same price.

The LCD2 is efficient enough to be powered from a standalone device, although you won't be getting the most from it. When the dedicated amplifier can be bought then the LCD2 will 'scale' nicely to match the equipment.

Obviously this is all based on the scenario that the person involved will be spending more money later for an amplifier. if the total budget is the price of the LCD2 and no amp upgrade is planned down the line then its a different scenario.

HE6 is a different ballgame. it could be used as a bookend until you could afford a suitable amplifier :)

May 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,628 of 7,138
Quote:
Here's a link to a review by a well regarded Head - Fi poster that may be helpful.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/violectric-hpa-v200/reviews/5331

I've read that review and other's posted around here and headphonia but none of them has done a proper comparison between the V200 and its entry level brother (quite expensive for entry level) V100.

And from what I've also read, the V181 is another step up from the V200 as it uses a newer circuitry and different opamps?

May 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,630 of 7,138
Quote:
Quote:
That's why Audeze provides a matching sized hex screw key or "allen key" for you tighten the yoke hex screw.

ARE YOU SURE? I think i know something... 

I received one with mine in the same bag the Beeswax wood oil and cloth came in?

Cloth? 
angry_face.gif

May 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,632 of 7,138
Holy... FISH!

I don't have the SCREW!!!

Edit: Hmm... maybe they didn't transfer properly from the wood box when i requested for travel box.

May 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,634 of 7,138
Anyone taken off those  grills and painted them? I have been thinkin about getting some vegan pads and painting the grills military green :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back