The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,591 of 7,138
Quote:

Just curious, any idea how the ringing of the vegan-padded LCD-2 compare to the Sennheiser HD 600?

Man, it's been a long time since I heard 600s.  Too long to do any direct comparisons, but I don't remember them to be fatiguing phones or to have any ringing issues.  Coming from the LCD-2 they will probably sound a little veiled & inarticulate to you.  

May 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,592 of 7,138
Ok I bought a new mini--xlr connector for 4€ and replaced the broken old one, saved a small fortune :wink:

May 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,593 of 7,138
So my LCD-2 r2's just broke for the second time in under a year; first the left driver stopped working, now the right...

Has anybody else had as much trouble with them as me? As I live in Australia, I've spent way too much money on shipping on these already, and it takes a long time to send them to Audez'e and back as well. I've asked if it might be possible to get a refund this time (even though I doubt I can) instead of another RMA because I don't want to deal with them breaking for a third time.

May 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,594 of 7,138
Yesterday I've heard a bunch of LCD-2s and LCD-3s with different amps at the Munich High End Show. Some thoughts:
None of the amps presented here drives these cans with more control, clarity and linearity than Violectric V200.
We mut be very careful about the equipment because they tend to sound sibilant and harsh at the treble (yes, they can make vocals sibilant with crappy sources/amps).
Every pair of LCD-2 and LCD-3 has different finish (wood pattern/varnish, stock cables (!!), headband, pads' leather, connectors, even colour - I've seen LCD-2s with brown metal parts and leather) hence they are real boutique stuff :)
And the most important: the AB comparison didn't prove to me the $1000 superiority of LCD-3. There is a difference but there is a difference between every couple of LCD-2s also :) Maybe they have more bass but that was the only barely audible contrast. There are 2-3 companies presenting their goods with both audezes and I couldn't hear the progress changing to the fatter model. Of course the conditions are terrible - the crowd, the unfamiliar music and equipment - but a $1000 gap MUST be audible even so. LCD-3 didn'convince me to spend my money.
Today I'll repeat.

May 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #1,595 of 7,138
My impression from reading and looking over measurements is that the LCD-3 is a better Rev1 with improved comfort and build quality.  The NEW Rev2 shares the build quality.  I'm trying to confirm but I think the vegan pads are of the same comfort if not material.

May 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #1,596 of 7,138
Yesterday I've heard a bunch of LCD-2s and LCD-3s with different amps at the Munich High End Show. Some thoughts:
None of the amps presented here drives these cans with more control, clarity and linearity than Violectric V200.
We mut be very careful about the equipment because they tend to sound sibilant and harsh at the treble (yes, they can make vocals sibilant with crappy sources/amps).
Every pair of LCD-2 and LCD-3 has different finish (wood pattern/varnish, stock cables (!!), headband, pads' leather, connectors, even colour - I've seen LCD-2s with brown metal parts and leather) hence they are real boutique stuff :)
And the most important: the AB comparison didn't prove to me the $1000 superiority of LCD-3. There is a difference but there is a difference between every couple of LCD-2s also :) Maybe they have more bass but that was the only barely audible contrast. There are 2-3 companies presenting their goods with both audezes and I couldn't hear the progress changing to the fatter model. Of course the conditions are terrible - the crowd, the unfamiliar music and equipment - but a $1000 gap MUST be audible even so. LCD-3 didn'convince me to spend my money.
Today I'll repeat.

So did you figure out whether your LCD-2s are bass shy or if they're normal?

May 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #1,597 of 7,138
Quote:
So my LCD-2 r2's just broke for the second time in under a year; first the left driver stopped working, now the right...

Has anybody else had as much trouble with them as me? As I live in Australia, I've spent way too much money on shipping on these already, and it takes a long time to send them to Audez'e and back as well. I've asked if it might be possible to get a refund this time (even though I doubt I can) instead of another RMA because I don't want to deal with them breaking for a third time.

I had an LCD2 Rev 2 for a while and it was fine, although I didn't use it much. I sold it to a guy and within a few weeks one of the drivers failed. I contacted ALOAUDIO were I originally bought it, picked it up from the guy and shipped it over. They had it replaced and sent back within a few weeks.

I know a lot of sellers just abandon the person who buy from them, but I felt guilty. Thankfully ALOAUDIO really looked after us and even paid to ship it back to the new owner in the United Kingdom. Really nice guys.

I do have concerns over Audeze reliability however because ive read and heard quite a few horror stories in recent months.

May 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #1,598 of 7,138
I've had a Rev1 and Rev2 since they launched.  Thousands of hours on the Rev1, less obviously on the Rev2.  I don't use a stand and simply lay them down on my wood desk while not on my head.  No maintenance what so ever... no problems with either.

May 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,600 of 7,138
I believe they have worked out the variances and finalized the design.  Older ones can be retrofitted and new ones would have the changes in place.

May 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,602 of 7,138
Quote:
I've had a Rev1 and Rev2 since they launched.  Thousands of hours on the Rev1, less obviously on the Rev2.  I don't use a stand and simply lay them down on my wood desk while not on my head.  No maintenance what so ever... no problems with either.

That's good to hear; I was definitely quite unlucky with my pair. Thankfully, Audez'e support has been very helpful and have approved a refund for me. I only owned my pair for 8 months and was only able to use it for about 5 of that, but I really enjoyed the sound, it's a shame they didn't last.

May 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,603 of 7,138
Quote:
Westone ES5 comes close in terms of sound signature, but as far as tonality goes, I'd think no IEM can match a full sized open back headphone. LCD2 sounds so much more relaxed and natural as well. (response to a 4 week old post :p)

Has anyone noticed their little yoke screws coming loose by itself occasionally?

Yes. x2. When you open the cans and put them on your head, you are loosening the yoke screws. So, try to keep an eye for them. >.<

popcorn.gif

May 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,604 of 7,138
Just finished using my EQ'd LCD-2's for few hours when listening to some of my friend's home recordings, which were created using his iPad and sound a bit low-fi. The LCD-2 took the harsh edge off the recordings and simply presented the musical contents with great clarity. With the LCD-2, the recording quality wasn't an issue; they just let the music speak. Now that's what I call a great - and very useful - headphone!

LCD-2, I salute you! 
o2smile.gif

May 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,605 of 7,138
Yesterday at the Munich High End Show I had the opportunity to compare LCD-2r2 to LCD-3 driven simultaneously on one amplifier. LCD-2 are more hard to drive. They sound more neutral and with flatter FR. LCD-3 had little more bass (or maybe it was the effect of the higher volume, I didn't adjust it each time I put them) and more treble, a kind of ''smiley face" FR curve. They were projecting bigger voices and instruments. The soundstage was the same, the detail was at the same level. The overall impression was that LCD-2 reproduce the music more focused, correct although somewhat tight and the LCD-3s are the more fun headphone with boosted bass and treble and opposite to the LCD-2's tightness play the music with ease (maybe it was the volume effect also). Anyway, the differences were audible even at this crowded place. LCD-2 were recabled with ALO balanced cable, LCD-3 were with their stock balanced cable. Finally I liked LCD-2 by large margin. So did a man that comparing the two on another amplifier next to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back