The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
May 1, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #1,576 of 7,138

Quote:
Really?  

Ok, so far I feel the images have become a tiny bit more rounded and amorphous.  Overall the sound is more open.  A wee bit more stage, so maybe LCD-3 like in that sense. 

The biggest, most immediate difference is the lack of resonance or ringing issues.  To me, that alone is worth the price of admission of the vegan pads.

It's also less slippery than the leather and fit and comfort are improved.

Very, very nice!
The wood of your LCD-2s looks very different - it has homogenous colour, mines are with more prominent "wood" pattern.

What do you mean by "ringing issues"?

May 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,577 of 7,138
...I'm still too scared to give them a shot. I heard the stock leather pads were made to bring the best out of the LCD-2. Hate to spend the money and find some sound I don't prefer. 
blink.gif

May 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,581 of 7,138
Quote:
Very, very nice!
The wood of your LCD-2s looks very different - it has homogenous colour, mines are with more prominent "wood" pattern.

What do you mean by "ringing issues"?

Ringing as in resonance.  Reverberation.  An echo of sorts across certain frequencies.  It multiplied sonic pressure and it was fatiguing.  You would have to compare to a pair of phones with very good decay and little to no ringing to notice it, maybe an HD800 or HE500, (or ESP950?).  Those phones affect almost as little sonic pressure as speakers in a room would.  Not so with leather-equipped LCD-2s, which were terrible in this regard.  Maybe the vegan pads are doing a better job of absorbing rather than reflecting sounds.  

Quote:
I wonder why Vegan headbands aren't an option?

Because they offer the sans leather foam and metal version of the headband for those who want it.

May 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,582 of 7,138

Quote:
Really?  

Ok, so far I feel the images have become a tiny bit more rounded and amorphous.  Overall the sound is more open.  A wee bit more stage, so maybe LCD-3 like in that sense. 

The biggest, most immediate difference is the lack of resonance or ringing issues.  To me, that alone is worth the price of admission of the vegan pads.

Oooo~ You drive my wallet crazy!

popcorn.gif

May 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,583 of 7,138

Quote:

Ringing as in resonance.  Reverberation.  An echo of sorts across certain frequencies.  It multiplied sonic pressure and it was fatiguing.  You would have to compare to a pair of phones with very good decay and little to no ringing to notice it, maybe an HD800 or HE500, (or ESP950?).  Those phones affect almost as little sonic pressure as speakers in a room would.  Not so with leather-equipped LCD-2s, which were terrible in this regard.

Where did you hear this ringing? What FR range? I'm trying to figure it, I had issue with a hump in mids/upper mids and I fixed it otherwise...

May 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,584 of 7,138

Quote:

Ringing as in resonance.  Reverberation.  An echo of sorts across certain frequencies.  It multiplied sonic pressure and it was fatiguing.  You would have to compare to a pair of phones with very good decay and little to no ringing to notice it, maybe an HD800 or HE500, (or ESP950?).  Those phones affect almost as little sonic pressure as speakers in a room would.  Not so with leather-equipped LCD-2s, which were terrible in this regard.

Where did you hear this ringing? What FR range? I'm trying to figure it, I had issue with a hump in mids/upper mids and I fixed it otherwise...

Check the waterfall plot thread or search this one or LCD-3 thread for "ringing", it's been spoken of thoroughly in all those places. Maybe even check the locked LCD-2 threads.

May 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #1,586 of 7,138
I wouldn't mind buying the vegan pads, I'm not a PETA diehard or anything but I try to avoid my impact on animal cruelty when I can. It's just that buying those wouldn't undo the leather that went into making the ones I'm using now.. =/

May 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,588 of 7,138
Quote:
I wouldn't mind buying the vegan pads, I'm not a PETA diehard or anything but I try to avoid my impact on animal cruelty when I can. It's just that buying those wouldn't undo the leather that went into making the ones I'm using now.. =/

Man don’t worry about your karma! They don’t kill the animals solely for their skin... It’s the meat that’s worth growing then up for. Unless we are talking exotic leather (and I’m pretty sure the LCDs don’t use exotic leather), it is perfectly OK to use the skin of butchered-for-meat animals on useful applications. Definitely beats throwing it away if you ask me.

May 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,589 of 7,138
Westone ES5 comes close in terms of sound signature, but as far as tonality goes, I'd think no IEM can match a full sized open back headphone. LCD2 sounds so much more relaxed and natural as well. (response to a 4 week old post :p)
Quote:
There are IEMs that share broad sweeping characteristics as the LCD2, e.g., having a natural tone, strong bass, and good timbre/texture, but that's as far as it went in my experience.

Has anyone noticed their little yoke screws coming loose by itself occasionally?

May 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,590 of 7,138
Quote:

Just curious, any idea how the ringing of the vegan-padded LCD-2 compare to the Sennheiser HD 600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back