The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Apr 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #31 of 1,921
Thanks Dsnuts 
etysmile.gif
 I checked out your headphone inventory too. Mine are in my sig and kind of lean toward treble presentation. Are the CKM500 anything like the GR07? I noticed you have the EX600 which is said to be similar to the GR07 as well. I've never owned a pair of AT's. It seems up until very recently they weren't on my radar until their sound quality + value went crazy

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #32 of 1,921
Thanks Dsnuts 
etysmile.gif
 I checked out your headphone inventory too. Mine are in my sig and kind of lean toward treble presentation. Are the CKM500 anything like the GR07? I noticed you have the EX600 which is said to be similar to the GR07 as well. I've never owned a pair of AT's. It seems up until very recently they weren't on my radar until their sound quality + value went crazy

oh i want to know this too. i was thinking of getting the GR07s , how do these compare?Gr07 are more than twice these in price but if they have a similar sound then ill jump ship and buy these

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #33 of 1,921

Quote:
Thanks Dsnuts 
etysmile.gif

You are gonna love these. Wait till you hear how rich and clean the highs are and no nasty spike anywhere either. I am burning them in and the sound is so clean I love it. The difference in sound is these have a slight musical coloration or boost from a neutral EX600 or a GR07 flat reference. But cleanly and evenly across the spectrum. For casual listening I actually prefer to have a musical tilt as music sound so much more engaging to me that way..So more depth and thickness vs the other more neutral earphones. More engaging more fully rounded highs mids and lows vs a flatter reference sound. But no where near how boosted the CKS77 are.

Sometimes when I am listening to my EX600. While I love the neutral sound I wish the mids have a bit more prominence or the bass end with a bit more impact.. These will do just that. I would put the detail on these easily on par with the GR07 or the EX600. Which makes these quite the deal for being less than a $100.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #34 of 1,921

Quote:

You are gonna love these. Wait till you hear how rich and clean the highs are and no nasty spike anywhere either. I am burning them in and the sound is so clean I love it. The difference in sound is these have a slight musical coloration or boost from a neutral EX600 or a GR07 flat reference. But cleanly and evenly across the spectrum. For casual listening I actually prefer to have a musical tilt as music sound so much more engaging to me that way..So more depth and thickness vs the other more neutral earphones. More engaging more fully rounded highs mids and lows vs a flatter reference sound. But no where near how boosted the CKS77 are.

Sometimes when I am listening to my EX600. While I love the neutral sound I wish the mids have a bit more prominence or the bass end with a bit more impact.. These will do just that. I would put the detail on these easily on par with the GR07 or the EX600. Which makes these quite the deal for being less than a $100.

Didn't you say that the ckm77's clarity was still a bit more than the GR07? Just saying that because the ckm500 = ckm77s but with more thickness and full body. Doesn't that mean it is almost like the Gr07? And the coloration is really noticable?

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #35 of 1,921
This is the AT house sound. The highs definitely has clean authority and definition so fine you can hear layers even in the timbre.Yet not too sharp or sibilant crazy. You will be very familiar with the highs on these. I would say these might have just a tad more weight in the highs vs the CKM77s. which is a good thing. The GR07 has less coloration in the highs or less boosted so highs will not have a rounded sound as these.. What I mean by rounded. The depth of the high notes are audible.. It isn't just the ping of the timbre but the resulting reverberation is cleanly heard. This is what I mean by coloration on the highs. I wouldn't say more pronounced but more of a thicker sound..This does wonders for Jazz and rock for example where high hats are extremely important to the rhythm. So the title on the box is right.

"reduce unwanted vibration and reproduce rich mid to high frequency ranges."  This is what AT was going for and they achieved it.

Coloration to me stands for a thicker sound which don't mean less clarity..If there was coloration only on the bass end and none on the rest you get a dryer sound with big bass. These have an equal amount from the highs mids to the lows. Which gives a very pleasing smooth clean coherent sound..

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #37 of 1,921

Quote:
When will that ebay seller list blue again 
etysmile.gif

Going for red otherwise

Good thing I bought mine before they ran out. :p

There's still a seller of the blue ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-technica-ATH-CKM500-BL-Dynamic-Closed-Canal-Earphone-Blue-/170819410196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c5a15914#ht_2849wt_905 but the price before shipping is how much I paid for mine WITH expedited shipping to US, if you think color is worth an extra $11 then go for it. The silver ones look nice, too, btw. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #38 of 1,921
So I am listening to some Sade with these right now. She sounds perfect. Just right. The balance on these are some of the best I have heard for AT. Just clean even smooth sound. It is quite awesome..It's not a bright sound. Just a smidge of warmth in the mids but so smooth a bit on the cleaner side of neutral in overall tone but I wouldn't call it bright. It has great synergy with my  Sony Z1060... Bass has good presence but a notch over neutral..Bass is integrated perfectly for the sound. Clean tight accurate bass.. Sparkle in the highs just shimmer. the clean even tone in the vocals. Oh man. These are freaking awesome.Lol!.

It seems to be AT is stepping their game in the earphone market.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #40 of 1,921
Wow these remind me of the Denon C710's quite A LOT.

I have to say my CKS77's sound a lot like my C710's I used to have - but with more staging and detail.
Now...these are tempting...
But I had huge problems with the cord on the C751, and I don't want that same experience.

I would get these if it wasn't for that, to see ho they compare.

Dsnuts, which have you got/tried in the end?
Which ones are short/long cabled?

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #42 of 1,921
The CK10's are really nice earphones but I don't think they're really worth the $300 price tag.  Their sound isn't really superior to many other TWFK earphones that are available anywhere from 100-200.
I'd be interested to hear about how the CKM500 compares to them though. This review is really making me want to try these CKM500's, but some of the other new BA headphones that have been popping up also seem interesting.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #43 of 1,921

Quote:
Wow these remind me of the Denon C710's quite A LOT.

I have to say my CKS77's sound a lot like my C710's I used to have - but with more staging and detail.
Now...these are tempting...
But I had huge problems with the cord on the C751, and I don't want that same experience.

I would get these if it wasn't for that, to see ho they compare.

Dsnuts, which have you got/tried in the end?
Which ones are short/long cabled?

I think they only come with the short cord to 2 ft extension.  4 ft total. All the CKM earphones have short cords but unlike the older CKM50 which had an unusual 3ft extension these are anatomically correct..4ft is perfect imo..These are yet another great sound from AT..I know you got your hands full with other iems but keep these on your radar and the future CKM700s which I am eager as all get out to hear. Based on these. I can't wait to hear them.

Quote:
Now I can't decide whether to get the CKM500 or CK10. Could anyone chime in with advice?

You know I can tell with out a doubt in my mind your $80 spent on these will be a better value. I have a buddy that just bought those CK10s and also happen to own the older CKM77s which is a similar tuned dynamic as the CK10s but with bass. .Lets just say he is thinking about selling his CK10s for these CKM500.

Quote:
The CK10's are really nice earphones but I don't think they're really worth the $300 price tag.  Their sound isn't really superior to many other TWFK earphones that are available anywhere from 100-200.
I'd be interested to hear about how the CKM500 compares to them though. This review is really making me want to try these CKM500's, but some of the other new BA headphones that have been popping up also seem interesting.

Ya the Rockit sounds R-50 got my attention. Those seem to be a great deal for $120.

Quote:
Can't wait to hear these Dsnuts! The CKS77 really wowed me.

Exprima, I think we bought the same CKM500s from the same Ebay seller =D. Did yours get shipped yet?

Based on what you wrote on the CKS77 thread. These will be what your looking for..Let me know how you like these once you get them..These are very nice for yet another reason. Love the sound of these. Look forward to your impressions.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #44 of 1,921
i wonder if they will replace the ckm55 with those? I ended up taking out the screen filter on them and changing the tips to foam, they seem better than stock. I probably should have waited on sending them in if I had know this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back