The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #7,621 of 9,131

It's no longer there. You have to use the drop down menu and the icon on the upper right (hexagon) to access settings.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #7,622 of 9,131
I havent updated yet but since I use the 240 as a dac for my PC Im used to using the drop down for switching between DAC and transfer mode.

However it still is annoying to swipe down with the case on. I don't enter the settings much and I don't thinkbthe removal of that option is a deal breaker for me. I just wish you could replace buttons is all

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #7,623 of 9,131
   I didn't notice any perceptible change in sound. Good news though, it still sounds as great as ever.

I carefully listened to a 24/192 Vivaldi file just before upgrading from FW 1.18 --> 1.25.  I'm not sure, but think there was an improvement in SQ.  Mid range and trebles sounded clearer and more detailed, warmer, more spacious.  I'd say the improved SQ, if it was there at all, was very subtle.

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #7,624 of 9,131
  I carefully listened to a 24/192 Vivaldi file just before upgrading from FW 1.18 --> 1.25.  I'm not sure, but think there was an improvement in SQ.  Mid range and trebles sounded clearer and more detailed, warmer, more spacious.  I'd say the improved SQ, if it was there at all, was very subtle.

I think you are on to something. Prior to the FW update, I had my EQ set to +1.5 db at 4K and up frequencies to make my Laylas sound the way I wanted them. Listening last night I thought the treble was sounding just a touch too sharp so I disabled EQ and got back to the levels I liked and by doing so I thought I noticed a slightly more spacious sound as well.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #7,625 of 9,131
Very interested in the FW update if the treble is a bit sharper since I find the treble a touch soft.

I'll definitely run some of my test tracks before upgrading the FW but unfortunstely my Nobles are out so I can only test with the AKG

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #7,626 of 9,131
I updated my SS last night and I like the changes. I downloaded the AK Connect app to my iPhone and now I can listen to my phone's music library as well as my favorite internet radio stations, Radio Paradise and Soma FM. Also, I'm glad I never bought the AK bluetooth remote since I can use AK Connect to operate my SS when I have it hooked up to my main system.

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7,627 of 9,131
Just did the firmware upgrade and if the SS increased it was very slight. Might just be hearing it because others mentioned it, can't be sure.

I'd say I hear a touch of lushness in the mids, a touch more width in the soundstage and a touch bit sharper treble.

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #7,628 of 9,131
I use my ak240 daily for 2 to 3 hours, I updated soon after release was announced in this thread, and have given it a good workout since.

Im using custom roxannes in balanced mode, what was immediatley apparent to me was a broadening of soundstage, cleaner and more defined layers, where each instrument seems to have gained better separation in the mix, so if concentrating on a speficic element of a track its easy to stay focussed on that element, and follow it clearly in the mix. Reverbs seem more pronounced, and there is a crisper presentation. Maybe its all placebo, but I honestly havent heard my 240 sound this good before, seems more effortless and expansive.

Ive not been bothered by the changes in ui, I basically select an album in folder mode and listen right through, so that functionality hasnt changed. Rarely use the settings so not bothered by the relocation of the settings icon. Would be good to get rid of the store icon given neither service is available in Australia.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #7,629 of 9,131
Hello all has anyone hear commenting on the sound of the ak what ever model change in firmware with flag ship headphones or better yet with speakers good ones.
As ciems 11 pairs of them and honestly cannot hear a change period and also the true sound quality of this device is nice but far from a stand alone dac
Al

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #7,631 of 9,131
Cracking sound can be heard when changing song after the upgrade

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #7,633 of 9,131
What I mean is. Ciems are not a good way to really hear his God or bad or changes a firmware is. A really good set of flagship headphones like the hd800 or equivalent is needed. A d for accurate imaging speakers are needed. As I use the ak240 with ciems. I ca hear little changes other than eq
Although good or bad music is easy to hear it's the fine details some claim to hear I just do not.

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #7,634 of 9,131
Confirmed, both when using the side button and screen arrow, more of a thud on mine.

really? i have not noticed on mine...let me check and observe later...

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #7,635 of 9,131
I use my ak240 daily for 2 to 3 hours, I updated soon after release was announced in this thread, and have given it a good workout since.

Im using custom roxannes in balanced mode, what was immediatley apparent to me was a broadening of soundstage, cleaner and more defined layers, where each instrument seems to have gained better separation in the mix, so if concentrating on a speficic element of a track its easy to stay focussed on that element, and follow it clearly in the mix. Reverbs seem more pronounced, and there is a crisper presentation. Maybe its all placebo, but I honestly havent heard my 240 sound this good before, seems more effortless and expansive.

Ive not been bothered by the changes in ui, I basically select an album in folder mode and listen right through, so that functionality hasnt changed. Rarely use the settings so not bothered by the relocation of the settings icon. Would be good to get rid of the store icon given neither service is available in Australia.

totally agree on this one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back