The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #4,996 of 9,131
Aug 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #4,997 of 9,131
Was lucky to get the chance to try the Mezzo Soprano mods at Amplified Head (Malaysia) courtesy from Music Century (Singapore) as they were kind enough to bring some demo sets including CIEMs 
etysmile.gif

CIEMs tested:
Lime Ears LE2 & LE3SW
Noble K10 & Noble 4
1964Ears V6 & V6S

Btw, this is not a review - just a very short impression since i only had them for around 2 hours. 
The AK240 is mine, while the MS-AK120 and 100 are the demo units. I only tried the MS-AK120, so i won't be able to comment on that. The MS-AK120 sounds very good, and i dare say the SQ performs on par with the AK240 but with a different sound signature.
Soundstage wise, they are very similar... perhaps AK240 is a touch airier while MS-AK120 has a touch more depth.
Clarity, micro details, transparency are similar to me. However the sound signature as i mentioned is quite different. AK240 is towards the bright neutral side while MS-AK120 is slightly warmer and fuller sounding. Bass impact on MS-AK120 is more prominent and hits harder and more resounding. 

For the CIEMs i tested,
Soundstage wise: Lime Ears LE3SW > 1964Ears > Noble K10
Clarity/Micro details: Noble K10 > 1964Ears >= Noble 4 > Lime Ears

I was quite surprised given Noble 4 price tag, the SQ performs very well. However i found on certain genre/tracks, i didn't like the sound, e.g. on Michael Jackson - Thriller DSD, the Noble 4 sounded shrilly/thin/unnatural.
Given a choice, if i had to walkaway with only 1 CIEM, i'd pick 1964Ears V6/V6S as the best all rounder among all the genres i've tried. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #5,000 of 9,131
The stock green case has the colour of a dark and almost dead tree..trust me no one will take a second look hehhe

I call it the Incognito Case

That's why I'm sticking to it, Naz. I call it distressed sporting green as the English liked to have in their cars. :)

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #5,002 of 9,131
my green case is definitely distressed and that's with little use. The soft leather used shows up impressions quite easily.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5,003 of 9,131
Aug 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #5,005 of 9,131
Indeed! :)

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,006 of 9,131
Okay, so enjoying the 240 and that DAMN green case tonight...

Listening to Marvin Gaye(2.8 DSD)--->AK240--->Woo Audio WA6SE (USAF 596 Devil Tube...)--->Artemis Silver Arrow Cable--->LCD 2.2.  Marvin is the man.  He sang a bit out of key because he saw my green case but recovered quickly.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #5,007 of 9,131
Oh and I read all 334 pages in the past 3 days of this thread.  If I ask a redundant question,  It is because so much was repeated many times and I got bored...may have tuned out.  Hope you all are having  a good weekend.   

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,008 of 9,131
Woodcans
Assuming u have downloaded the firmware via wifi, u can try a different usb cable...and need to have the device turns on before connecting to computer...it happened to me for the first time,but then it went away after a few try
Good luck!

Woodcans, USB2.x or USB3? Any other Android-supporting apps installed like Samsung Kies?

My right side of my MBP works with the program recommended by A&K but not the left. And as C.H.G. mentions you must use the USB cable that came with the AK.
I have about 325 GB in it now, sometimes my computer has a hard time reading and I simply pull out the USB end, reinsert and I'm good to go.

Have a look at the post made by Saraguie

All, thanks for your suggestions. With stock cable and plugged in to the front USB port of my MBP, I was able to  (over the weekend) transfer the majority of my library to the 240. I will say it does sound fantastic, but on the other hand for that price, I do maintain it should basically load my files for me. In any event, based upon its sound, it seems to be a keeper.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #5,009 of 9,131

All, thanks for your suggestions. With stock cable and plugged in to the front USB port of my MBP, I was able to  (over the weekend) transfer the majority of my library to the 240. I will say it does sound fantastic, but on the other hand for that price, I do maintain it should basically load my files for me. In any event, based upon its sound, it seems to be a keeper.

Hi Woodcan, just for lighten up our blog...my Linn CD12 (sold) costs a fortune and I need to load one CD at a time before enjoying the music.  Of course technology moves on and your requirement is not too much to ask for.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back