The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3,076 of 7,071
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't since the resistor removal isn't s big deal on the AK120. Goldenears measured it into 16 ohms and it was perfectly flat. I also wouldn't want to lose the super portability BUT the 8741 DAC using the minimum phase filter is better so if you're willing to use an amp all the time, I bet it sings.

Yes, I agree.  I decided to go for the S mod knowing i'll lose ultraportability but will maintain portability.  There has been some controversy regarding the degree of improvement one gets when moving from the Wolfson 8740 to the 8741 DAC.  Some say minimal, others say dramatic.  Only one way to find out.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #3,078 of 7,071
Quote:

Yes, I agree.  I decided to go for the S mod knowing i'll lose ultraportability but will maintain portability.  There has been some controversy regarding the degree of improvement one gets when moving from the Wolfson 8740 to the 8741 DAC.  Some say minimal, others say dramatic.  Only one way to find out.

When I've tried the selectable filter thing on 8741 equipped home DACs, I've always like the minimum phase selection the best. Slow second and sharp the least. I think sharp measures the best on a spec sheet.
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #3,079 of 7,071
I just read Tyll's off- the- grid road trip review of the AK120.  People who plan on using the unit's other features should pay attention.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/gadgets-grid-astellkern-ak120-portable-hi-rez-music-player

I have to say I completely agree with him on playlists. They really are awful. I made one (painfully) in order to have an easy test set of recordings for CIEMs and to date cannot even find where to launch the playlist from, to say nothing of the user experience from creating one. Come on iRiver, pay some attention to the playlist features - and fix all the problems Tyll found. Bluetooth errors really shouldn't exist in a unit this high end.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #3,080 of 7,071
Some of Tyll's comments are valid, however, I find the UI of the Ak120 to better than other audiophile players I have tried. Besides, I managed to find a method to convert m3u playlists to the ak120 pls format and it works like a charm. Bluetooth really?

Please do share that method - I, and others here, would find it really valuable.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,083 of 7,071
Please do share that method - I, and others here, would find it really valuable.
It is a bit long, please search the thread, as I am on mynphone now. Basically, export your playlist into m3u, change the extension to .pls. Then edit with notepad. Change the path: mnt0 and mnt1 for the sdcards I think and nand3 for the ak120. Then replace all / with \ or the opposite I do not remember. Seems complicated, but once you got it, takes less than 1mn per playlist.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3,086 of 7,071
Quote:
I have decided to send my AK120 to Vinnie for the S mod........

Will try and get it off to him this weekend 
size]

Makes perfect sense for someone that uses it with an amp all the time.
bigsmile_face.gif

I think I'm getting one of these but plan to use it as is for max portability. Sure does seem to tick the most boxes.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3,088 of 7,071
Quote:
When I've tried the selectable filter thing on 8741 equipped home DACs, I've always like the minimum phase selection the best. Slow second and sharp the least. I think sharp measures the best on a spec sheet.
wink_face.gif

My understanding is Vinnie will program it to minimal phase filter.  It will not be selectable.  Glad to hear that was what you liked the best!

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,089 of 7,071
Quote:

My understanding is Vinnie will program it to minimal phase filter.  It will not be selectable.  Glad to hear that was what you liked the best!

That's why I mentioned it. He's not kidding when he says it's the least 'digital' sounding slope, all things being equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back