The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 31, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #541 of 3,220
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew what specs does the ALO Vcaps have? I'm planning to do something like that in the near future with cheaper alternative but good caps as well
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #542 of 3,220
You could ask him or anyone who bought a portable VCap dock. I figure you could just buy their 1.0uF 250VDC cap and use that. It's the cheapest and will work fine.

The sound is really opening up on my BGed Millett Hybrid MAX and diyMod 4G setup. I feel really immersed in the music, and the bass has finally solidified. I don't know how long this sound sig will last, but it's a nice balance.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #543 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoKoKrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew what specs does the ALO Vcaps have? I'm planning to do something like that in the near future with cheaper alternative but good caps as well
biggrin.gif

In the ALO-sponsored forum section, there is a post of a dissected VCap special edition dock. To answer your question, ALO used 4.7uf caps. They also used VCAP 0.1uf teflon caps as a bypass (optional).

How are the bypass caps hooked up with the two primary caps? I think I'm going with Sonicap Gen I as primary caps and using 0.1uf Sonicap Gen II as bypass.

Would it be: input left -> positive lead of primary for left -> positive lead of bypass left then negative lead of left to output left?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #545 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAvanessia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine from ebay also. It had a shorter width than the OEM battery. If it was slightly slightly smaller I could fit the 0.47uf caps on the side of the battery. That's something to think about if you could find a battery that is not as wide as OEM.

Or someone could remove the headphone jack to fit the caps.

point 1 are nice to figure out, but removing headphone jack ?! it's a no-no for me...
frown.gif
after i change the bypass cable to something smaller (in size) now my new lcd are work properly now but i had a new problem, my clickwheel hadn't working at all...lol silly me...
redface.gif
my dock+caps to RCA are ready though, well i use RCA interconnect for a test...before a made my own CMOYamp, then i'll move the dock+caps to normal connector to amping...
biggrin.gif

here are my latest picts to my progress now...
2001783186796838369_rs.jpg

2005730237512276374_rs.jpg

2001778341586038586_rs.jpg

2001743236320172564_rs.jpg

2001712629838420204_rs.jpg

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #546 of 3,220
Quote:

How are the bypass caps hooked up with the two primary caps?

In parallel.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #549 of 3,220
Try this out. CLb and CRb are the bypass (or CLa and CRa, whichever you prefer). Let one set be the 47uF BGs or equivalent high quality caps, and let the other set be the ~0.1uF bypass caps. As for input and output jacks, you can put them wherever you like, as long as the circuit looks the same.

911d1199206332-apple-diymod-my-take-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-nano-1g-bypassed-diymod.jpg

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #550 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this out. CLb and CRb are the bypass (or CLa and CRa, whichever you prefer). Let one set be the 47uF BGs or equivalent high quality caps, and let the other set be the ~0.1uF bypass caps. As for input and output jacks, you can put them wherever you like, as long as the circuit looks the same.

911d1199206332-apple-diymod-my-take-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-nano-1g-bypassed-diymod.jpg

Cool - basically just put the caps in parallel. In the thread I read, the 4.7uf caps were in the "driving seat" and the 0.1uf caps were the bypass. How does this setup differentiate between the caps or is it just some electrical thing we don't have to worry about?

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #551 of 3,220
Quote:

How does this setup differentiate between the caps or is it just some electrical thing we don't have to worry about?

My thoughts exactly-can some of the signal escape the teflon cap and make it through the bigger cap without passing through the teflon cap? Would it not be better to put them in series with the teflon v-cap hooked up between the larger cap and the amp as a sort of staggered filtering system?

Hey-I'm admittedly electrically challenged!

I've got a set of 6.8uf V-caps on the way and was looking to add some teflons to the mix as well...

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #552 of 3,220
At this point, you start getting deeper into the tweaking bit, balancing between the treble and bass with the quality of brands and combination of cap sizes. Since you're going the route of external casing for the caps, you don't have to worry about real estate. If you do decide to go that route, let us know how it goes.

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #555 of 3,220
What kind of nonlinearities were you referring to, Jambo? It seems to me that it's more of a stability issue than sound. Surely, the sound will be affected and some will describe the sound to have such and such quality, but I mean that the sound would follow the improved technical, specification side of the electronics. I'd imagine it being much like the Driver Number Wars we seem to have between the IEM manufacturers of late. Shure came out with another triple driver, UE released the triple.fi and Westone projected their 3. All the while Etymotic hasn't changed their stance from a single driver philosophy (how long has it been, 15 years?), maintaining that the crossovers in the multi-driver IEMS take away from the sound. Following the analogy, some would say the more paralleled caps, the better; the link up there has a picture of three bypass caps.

basics6.gif

It inevitably comes down to your personal design philosophy; do you prefer to delegate work or do you prefer a single task-accomplisher accomplishing tasks? As I mentioned earlier, one argument against paralleling so many caps is the issue of limited space. Since not too much is taking up the ALO VCap dock, vvs_75's Sonicap dock or CAvanessia's BG NX dock, you could experiment with as many bypass caps as you like. I don't think more than two would be necessary as we're only working with a 20Hz-20,000Hz bandwidth, but again, it comes down to personal choice.

I hope I didn't spew too much garbage for those of you actually in the know. =T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back