The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 29, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #511 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishtob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha.. this thread is going on forever!

has anyone tried to mod the nano fatties?

The nano fatty will not be modded for the same reasons that the ipod classic will not be modded.

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #512 of 3,220
pcyl:

As great as the one year warranty is, you won't need it. You take out the old battery, you put in the new battery, it's done. If you want to still get it, that's alright too.

As for the iPod nano 3G and iPod classic, they can very well be diyModded and may theoretically be one of the easiest to do.

Chip and caps on the left, pins on the right. Unless I'm missing something, then that's the job.
13-1.jpg

This side is where the board meets the face plate, so it will also have the diyMod 5G groove in the click wheel. Use tiny wires.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #513 of 3,220
Hmm, I wonder what Vinnie saw then? Why would he not mod it?

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #514 of 3,220
This is just a wild guess, but maybe it's cause the aluminum front cover of the classic is almost impossible to open without damaging the back plate since the latches on the side of the front cover are also made of aluminum. (I recked a back cover replacing my classic's back with the U2 video's)

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #515 of 3,220
Oh, ok.

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #516 of 3,220
For the 1G Nano dock version, do you need a ground wire or does that come out of the dock? Also, after wiring for the dock (like in the pictures), you would simply need to make a normal line-out dock and then connect the dock to some caps somehow?

Is it possible to make a normal line-out dock, then connect the mini to an enclosure with the caps like this MKII Frankenstein dock by EFN:

EFN-MKIIDock-iModFront01.jpg

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #517 of 3,220
powertoold: You basically answered all your own questions right
wink.gif

you take the ground from the dock line out ground. The somehow that the you talk about is basically caps in series with the signal, so either in the dock, out the dock, anywhere.. but in series with the signal.. so it would be, say for the right channel: [Rout]--> [+CAP-]--> [+H.P R-]-->[Gnd] and if you're using a non polarized cap it wouldn't matter which was the cap is..

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #518 of 3,220
Does anyone know why Kokokrunch's universal dock adapter has an additional ground connection at pin 16? I thought USB plugs are only 4 conductor.

Also, how can you use the UI to play music while charging and syncing with a universal dock adapter? Doesn't the iPod switch to charging/usb mode once you connect the usb?

Here is the reference link:

DIY-Universal Dock Adaptor!!! The BADock!!!

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #519 of 3,220
I see four conductors. Pin 16, the brown wire, is USB GND, so it makes sense that he uses it.

DSCN3274.jpg

And while plugging the iPod into the computer via USB does send it into docking mode, you can eject the iPod through iTunes so that the USB still provides voltage to the iPod, allowing it to charge. That's one possibility. The other is that he uses a wall wart that adapts to USB instead of the Firewire ones that used to ship with iPods. Those cost a pretty penny, but it's still a possibility.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #521 of 3,220
What do you know? There is another wire there. I don't see it connected anywhere though. One could be the ground for the USB jack's body. Like on the Alien DAC, there are four connectors on the USB jack, but the casing has to also be soldered to ground as well. I believe the one soldered to pin 16 is the ground connection for the information side of the USB, but also the black wire could be the body ground.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #522 of 3,220
Haha! That's my improvised dock! I can't remember clearly now. But I know there were 2 grounds I had to solder to... I think it's the USB ground and just the uhhh ground from the iPod i think, forgot already, but I'm quite sure there are 2 grounds to solder to

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #523 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see four conductors. Pin 16, the brown wire, is USB GND, so it makes sense that he uses it.

And while plugging the iPod into the computer via USB does send it into docking mode, you can eject the iPod through iTunes so that the USB still provides voltage to the iPod, allowing it to charge. That's one possibility. The other is that he uses a wall wart that adapts to USB instead of the Firewire ones that used to ship with iPods. Those cost a pretty penny, but it's still a possibility.

i c...
biggrin.gif
but why my DIY data cable STILL didn't work ? what pins to use for USB cabledata anyway ?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the black wire the USB GND wire? If you look at the picture, you can see the black wire behind all the others.

but 1 ground for USB cabledata is enough, isn't it ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you know? There is another wire there. I don't see it connected anywhere though. One could be the ground for the USB jack's body. Like on the Alien DAC, there are four connectors on the USB jack, but the casing has to also be soldered to ground as well. I believe the one soldered to pin 16 is the ground connection for the information side of the USB, but also the black wire could be the body ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoKoKrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha! That's my improvised dock! I can't remember clearly now. But I know there were 2 grounds I had to solder to... I think it's the USB ground and just the uhhh ground from the iPod i think, forgot already, but I'm quite sure there are 2 grounds to solder to

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #524 of 3,220
Is it possible to make a dock connector that only connected to the USB power, USB ground, and the line out pins to be able to play music while the iPod is charging? I don't care about the syncing ability. All I want is to be able to make the iPod like a standalone music player without worrying about the battery life.

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #525 of 3,220
I assume you would need 5 wires: GND, R, L for audio and GND, 5V+ for power. Looking here, those would be 2, 3, 4 for audio and 16, 23 for power respectively. Anyone correct of verify me freely. (I'm sure you could easily google "DIY ipod charger" and figure the charging bit out...but I gotta run out..)

P.S: The audio GND and power GND are not internally connected, and should be kept isolated! ie, don't mix them up or interchange their use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back