The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 28, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #496 of 3,220
Pins 1 and 2 are identical, so you can use either or both. I know I said to use pin 1 because it's "farther" from the audio pins, but looking at the dock connector, both are just beside the other, so it makes even less difference which one you choose.

KoKo:

I agree with you about the iMod reviews. I think people are exaggerating the improvement in sound quality, though it may very well be there. At the very least, it's an interesting concept, and I'm just glad I could do it for so cheap. I wonder if anyone will be going to the National meet and doing any comparos. Oh, what a controversy that would be.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #497 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoKoKrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I managed to get someone who had the iMod to lend it to me for some listening, but I could only find a few songs I know on his iPod. He was in a rush as well so I couldn't listen for long. My impression is that, the iMod has very very slightly deeper midrange and bass than mine, however it was quite an unfair comparison considering he probably has his music on lossless and mine on 192 kbps. Also, cause he was rushing off, I wasn't really in a right state of mind to do a calm comparison, I might be wrong because the difference I heard was so so so small. And i only clocked about 130 hours of burn in, when supposedly supposed to go for 200... I will definitely do a comparison again. But overall, my verdict is that iMod's reviews are mostly over-exaggerated.

He listened to my mod as well, his feedback is that the bass although not as powerful as the one from headphone out, it is more controlled and the clarity is better(which is expected because the headphone out is known not to have exceptional clarity). However, comparing hp out to dock line out, I would say, like most people do that the hp out on 4G iPod is already good as compared to those new gens, so the rather inaudible difference that I am hearing in terms of SQ might be explained by that probably.

KoKo, I was thinking...what size caps did you use again? If it was a smaller value then his iMods 47uF, then that may have been why you are hearing less bass in comparison. It may be that, or like you said it could be the way your files are encoded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #498 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if anyone will be going to the National meet and doing any comparos. Oh, what a controversy that would be.

Oh boy, you got that right!!

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #499 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple iPod dock interface pinout @ pinouts.ru, Notice that these here are noted in the reverse order than the one at ipodlinux. I use the one at ipodlinux cause of the pic of the dock I got used to looking at.. but they're probably basically the same thing.

thx for the URL...yes, i'm pretty sure now that my dock had the right pins...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CA: Your doing the right thing by tinning the wires first. I really don't see the benefit in using such big gauge wire. Its not like the ipod produces that much current...so its kind of an overkill, but there will be people who 'hear' the difference so I'm gonna stop before I make enemies
tongue.gif
!! But yes, you are on the right track. What I tend to do is put the wires on the side instead of directly on top of the small pins. This usually helps out quite a bit.

it's help alot than using directly from the big gauge wire to pins...
tongue.gif

Quote:

KoKo, I was thinking...what size caps did you use again? If it was a smaller value then his iMods 47uF, then that may have been why you are hearing less bass in comparison. It may be that, or like you said it could be the way your files are encoded.
smily_headphones1.gif

i use the 22uF, so it's gonna be less bass to than RWA iMod ?

Quote:

Oh boy, you got that right!!

x2...
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #502 of 3,220
True, that could be it...then again you should probably give it a better listen!

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #503 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you leave capacitor leads exposed like in CAvanessa's dock, do you need to worry about signal interference?

You do, but at the length she left it, I still wouldn't worry about it. [What with all the vampires she's using, she has bigger things to worry about, like static buildup and odd looks on the bus.]

And KoKoKrunch, congrats on being the 500th [post].
biggrin.gif
[And congrats to powertoold for having the 500th reply.] Let's keep a good thing going.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #505 of 3,220
Quote:

You do, but at the length she left it, I still wouldn't worry about it. [What with all the vampires she's using, she has bigger things to worry about, like static buildup and odd looks on the bus.]

And KoKoKrunch, congrats on being the 500th [post].
biggrin.gif
[And congrats to powertoold for having the 500th reply.] Let's keep a good thing going.

I think they would look at VVS more than they would look at me
biggrin.gif
Althugh his music would sound so good that he would be too phased out to notice.

My "rig" is for home use only. The PK3/Nano are for portable use.

BTW how should I Prevent signal distortion in my cap? Shorten the leads? Elecctrical tape the leads?

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #506 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAvanessia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW how should I Prevent signal distortion in my cap? Shorten the leads? Electrical tape the leads?

There probably isn't any noticeable interference from that set up.. electrical tape wouldn't make a difference though, not to an electromagnetic field. the best thing you could do is orient the wires so they're parallel as little as possible, like one orientated along a y axis, another along an x axis.. though honestly, these voltages at these frequencies with that much space isn't too much of a concern.. I'd waste my time on other stuff. (I'm assuming the recommendation to remove the unused pins in the dock are to minimize higher frequency interference from the data pins, etc.. distortion is another issue, and I wouldn't worry too much about it now either.. (it would be on the line of using inductors in parallel to your outputs to balance phase distortion, for instance..)..

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #507 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAvanessia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arghh - my Nano randomly freezes! It's so irritating as it froze three times today while I'm burning-in the BGs. I don't think it's the diyMod's fault as google shows that this is a common problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

After reading some V-cap dock impressions, I have decided to sell the remainder of my BG caps and supplies to get some Soniccaps (hey, I'm a poor graduate student. I can't afford the V-caps).
redface.gif
I will enclose the caps in a plastic enclosure from Radioshack or a larger mint-tin I have. No fancy stuff here
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I actually had some random freezing with my diyMod 4G, but it went away after the battery ran out and I recharged it. Another alternative is to RockBox your nano.

i think i had the same freeze problem as you guys...but there's a chance to fix this problem and i already downgrade the software to version 1.0 myself (do on my Mac)...i'll report if i found any problem like on version 1.3.1...
tongue.gif

Code:

Code:
[left]http://forums.ipodhacks.com/showthread.php?t=813[/left]

Goodluck !
biggrin.gif

note:
here's a screenshot for my ipod that detected on iTunes after downgrading the software...
picture1id7.jpg

Dec 28, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #508 of 3,220
Reading around quickly, the recommendation seems to be to just reset the iPod. Toggle the hold, reset it by holding the menu and select buttons. They also say restoring the iPod can help. Does anyone else have this recurring problem? Mine seems to have gone away. Actually it wasn't freezing on me, it just kept pausing. Apple has "The 5 Rs for iPods": Reset, retry, restart, reinstall, restore. Follow the link for more information.

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #510 of 3,220
Quote:

Thanks for the link, pcyl. That seems like a pretty safe source to get your batteries from if eBay doesn't work out. I find the prices to be quite more expensive than eBay, but I added it to the original post anyway. Someone will find it helpful.

but this battery supply with one year warrent from the date of purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back