The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 26, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #467 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what the reply what gauges of wire to use that will not affect the click wheel? 28awg or 30awg ?

Im using 30AWG and it still affects it, so go smaller if you don't want it to affect it. With 30awg it is only minimal though, so it may work for you.

Koko: lol, I hope the showdown turns out well!

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #468 of 3,220
I think 30awg is fine, depending on how you route the wire, if should not affect your click wheel that much. personally I find wires that are smaller than 30awg hard to work with, 30awg is already pushing my ability to solder small objects

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #469 of 3,220
The difference between wire gauge usually is to compensate for heat produced by current. The 5.5G chip can deliver 0.9W into 8 ohms which, if my calculation is correct, is 10.6mA by P = (I^2)R. That seems a bit low, but either way, the gauge is negligible. The differences we're talking here isn't even in the milliohms, so please don't fret too much about gauge in terms of sound. At this length and current rating, there is no reason to worry about gauge this much besides getting it to fit uniformly inside the diyMod 5.5G. Stepping further into dangerous territory here, I think people buy expensive cables just to look good, not for the sound. "I value my sound so much that I spent this many thousand dollars on my cables." While on the race track the road conditions make a huge difference, if you're driving a smart fortwo, you ought to be worrying about getting new tires or a faster car instead of paving 3 feet of new concrete. Spend your money where it'll make the most difference, like getting better caps or an assortment of caps to "roll" for your favourite sound.

I could be making mountains out of mole hills here, but it seems I don't ever to get my point across to some people =T

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #471 of 3,220
good point ishtob

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #473 of 3,220
When you remove the caps from the board, you need to heat up both ends of the caps so that the solder isn't holding it down to the board. If you check out Tangent's video on desoldering components, that might help you out a bit. Essentially you heat one side, then the other, then the other, and keep alternating until both ends are loose enough that you can just lift the cap off the board. This process reveals solder pads that you can solder the wires to. Send these wires to the dock.

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #475 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by rourouni815 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to this imod i was wondering what would i need in order to finish my 5.5g mod. I already disassembled my ipod would i just need to solder the two wires? What does it mean to "remove"?

Make sure you have a fine tip soldering iron. My tip was very blunt, and I could not remove the little caps and inductors for a long time. I kept alternating and alternating and nothing happened.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #477 of 3,220
Are you trying to fit the caps into your dock connetor or inside the iPod? I'm slightly familiar with blackgate sizes. The smallest one should be the 0.47uf one. However, you can fit the 47uf (larger than the 0.47) into the dock connector according to fellow members.

I'm not sure about other brands.

BTW, I love your avatar. Dwight is the best.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #479 of 3,220
Hey nick, just a question. Were you wondering about the smallest size available, or the smallest size that would work sonically? Because they make very small cap(s)(values/physically) and if you calculate the corner frequencies you may find that going to small will really limit your sound.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #480 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey nick, just a question. Were you wondering about the smallest size available, or the smallest size that would work sonically? Because they make very small cap(s)(values/physically) and if you calculate the corner frequencies you may find that going to small will really limit your sound.

I was wondering what the minimum uf that is needed to obsorb the current running from the DAC out the lineout. I was looking at both kinds of V-cap capacitors, the teflon and Oil Impregnated. I see 4.7uf and 6.8uf's being used...what is absolutly needed? 0.10uf?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back