The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #31 of 4,580
Welp, I'm interested.

Lolololol.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
But of course you are! I just have to resist adding to my AKG collection... Was watching Arrow with my K612 in bed just now when I got a text from Stillhart saying "It's live!" And I was like "On Head-Fi?!?"
And then I was like
OMG!
:k701smile:

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #32 of 4,580
I just bought a Project Ember, an HD650 and an HD700.  I don't think I'll be in on the first drop.  But seeing as how there's 2k in the first drop and 6k planned, I'm guessing there will be another...

So does anyone have details on the pads?  Memory foam?  Angled?  IIRC, the Annies were memory foam and not angled?

EDIT - Site says memory foam, pics don't look angled.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #33 of 4,580
  I admit I've skipped the last few releases like K712 Pro and the 65th Anniversary Edition.

The K7XX, with superior sound (and looks imho), will sell for just $200.

The 65th Anniversary and K712 are both made in PRC (China)

Seriously.... if your BS alarm is ringing

Huh?

Are you taking a guess at superior?

My K712 Pro is made in Austria (on phones and box)

Price is great but I'm having a hard time with your post.

BTW the K712 is a fine, fine phone. Runs right alongside my T1, HE-500 just swell ....... when under an adequate amplifier. The 712 is one of the best AKG phones ever made IMO. They blew my now long gone Q701 out of the water.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #35 of 4,580

I admit I've skipped the last few releases like K712 Pro and the 65th Anniversary Edition.

The K7XX, with superior sound (and looks imho), will sell for just $200.

The 65th Anniversary and K712 are both made in PRC (China)

Seriously.... if your BS alarm is ringing

Huh?

Are you taking a guess at superior?

My K712 Pro is made in Austria (on phones and box)

Price is great but I'm having a hard time with your post.

BTW the K712 is a fine, fine phone. Runs right alongside my T1, HE-500 just swell ....... when under an adequate amplifier.

He has a 7xx and is testing them.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #36 of 4,580
To clarify: the name is in fact "K7XX". That's what it says on the packaging as well as on the headphone itself. I know we (myself included) often summarize the prior AKG models by calling them "K70x" or similar, and I guess in retrospect that may cause a little confusion. I'll have to stop doing that from now on because I have a feeling we'll be talking about this particular model a lot.

Caveats? There aren't many. AKG and Massdrop are limiting the first drop to just 2000 units, and the total run of this First Edition to 6000 units. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't do a later edition somewhere down the road, but at present this is a legit limited edition model. Of course, AKG stands behind the K7XX by offering the full 2-year warranty, just like the other models with the higher MSRP. Not that this series is known to have trouble anyway.

I for one find it pretty damn annoying (and unoriginal) that the headphone is being called the K7XX. I, among many others here on Head-Fi in the past, have used exactly "K7xx" to collectively refer to the K701, K702, K702 65th Anniversary, and K712, and people searching for "K7XX" on Head-Fi will turn up those results in addition to those for the new headphone. Someone should have thought through that model name a lot more before the headphones made it to production.

Also, 6000 units total? I hate limited editions and would prefer if these new headphones would just go into regular production.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #38 of 4,580

I for one find it pretty damn annoying (and unoriginal) that the headphone is being called the K7XX. I, among many others here on Head-Fi in the past, have used exactly "K7xx" to collectively refer to the K701, K702, K702 65th Anniversary, and K712, and people searching for "K7XX" on Head-Fi will turn up those results in addition to those for the new headphone. Someone should have thought through that model name a lot more before the headphones made it to production.

Also, 6000 units total? I hate limited editions and would prefer if these new headphones would just go into regular production.

They'll have better hits with K7XX Massdrop which if you think about it as a great way to get the name circulating in the site. So far it's been the unmentionable site but with this headphone well you can say Massdrop wherever you please as long as you're referring to headphone and not the group buy.

Question for @project86; do these have the memory foam pads that came with the Annies?

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #39 of 4,580
I would really like to start seeing some reviews on these. I thoroughly enjoyed my q701 when I had it particularly the mids which I felt were very slightly forward, I also loved the sound stage in certain songs. I really hope that it keeps those mids I don't really want a balanced headphone as I have always enjoyed a bump on the mids.

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #40 of 4,580
I wonder if these have the bass port mod done already...

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #41 of 4,580
  I wonder if these have the bass port mod done already...

If it has the memory foam pads it won't need a bass port mod, it might even sound too warm with a bass port mod along with the Annie pads. They mention some kind of bass tuning has been mentioned, so maybe a smaller port? I'd rather have a closed bass port and rely on pads to increase the bass like the Annies.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #42 of 4,580
It's a nice deal but Q701 was sold for 150$ on massdrop a few months ago.
Besides better comfort, i don't see how can these be better than the Q701 as it will cannibalize the sales of K712.

It may just be a re tweaked\re-branded Q701\K612. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #43 of 4,580
$200 for some new 'Annies". Best deal of the century. The AE was my fave K7XX model (damn you Massdrop, I've used K7XX since FOREVER).

Yes, the AE was just a K702 with Memory foam pads and a MUCH better headband, and I'd place bets that that is all they have done with the K7XX here. If you've heard the AE, then you know, that's all they needed. The K7XX will be warmer, more fuller sounding, and less glaring up top, if thr AE is any indication. Yes, something will be lost in translation: The air and hyper detail will be softened up to make way for a richer, more euphonic sound. No need for a bass poprt mod or anything else for those difdferences. The sonic change for the AE was entirely done by the pad change, as swapping the AE pads to the standard K702 will yield 99.9% the same sound.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #44 of 4,580
$200 for some new 'Annies". Best deal of the century. The AE was my fave K7XX model (damn you Massdrop, I've used K7XX since FOREVER).

Yes, the AE was just a K702 with Memory foam pads and a MUCH better headband, and I'd place bets that that is all they have done with the K7XX here. If you've heard the AE, then you know, that's all they needed. The K7XX will be warmer, more fuller sounding, and less glaring up top, if thr AE is any indication. Yes, something will be lost in translation: The air and hyper detail will be softened up to make way for a richer, more euphonic sound. No need for a bass poprt mod or anything else for those difdferences. The sonic change for the AE was entirely done by the pad change, as swapping the AE pads to the standard K702 will yield 99.9% the same sound.

In more simpler terms, for gaming that is, will the headphone be more immersive rather than more detailed? Do you think soundstage will reduce because of this?

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #45 of 4,580
Yes. The soundstage will be more intimate than the standard K70X. That's usually a byproduct of going from leaner and airy, to thicker, fuller sound.

I've had the pleasure of testing all those K70X variations, and again can say the pad swap will most likely reduce soundstage in favor of fullness. The best compromise is the K712. It's thicker sounding than the standard K702, but not as thick as the original Anniversary run (prior to the Anniversary swapping to the angled K712 pads).

Since the K7XX seems to be using non-angled pads (like the original Annie run), I'm betting it's gonna sound most similar to the original Annie, not the current run). I wonder if this is where the original memory foam pads went to.

If I wasn't getting the X2 in, the K7XX would definitely be my next purchase. I keep going back to wanting that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back