The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 4,580
Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
total run of this First Edition to 6000 units.

Well damn, anyone remember 2 years ago when the only drops on Massdrop were the DT990s and some car parts and they barely managed to reach the goal despite being $210~ with free shipping? It was my first major headphone purchase.

Sure came a long way since then.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 4,580
$200? Resistance.... pretty much futile. 
redface.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 4,580
I'm surprised that Massdrop is allowed to be referenced on here now. Even then, reading reviews about this akg is pointing me to get it when it drops. Later on this week, it seems.

Yup, I remember : ) 

You're killing me, Will. :p

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 4,580

So, is it made in China now? I know the Q701 is.

I've found a substantial decrease in build quality with the Chinese Q701s. Along with an atrocious fit not present in the Austrian version.

Weird. The 65th Anniversary and K712 are both made in PRC (China) and I've never heard complaints there. Perhaps they had some issued when they first made the switch, and it showed up in the Q series. All I can say is the K7XX I have here is in no way inferior to the multiple K701/K702 examples I owned from back in the day. I guess they have it ironed out by now.

ya, but when massdrop finally sells these limited edition akg k7xx... they are going to do it via a group buy lol.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. In my eyes, this is a custom made design strictly for Massdrop, so it's not really the same as contacting some company asking for a deal if they order a certain number. This entire thing was commissioned by Massdrop in the first place, and the total run is already mapped out to a certain number of units. Semantics, I guess. 

I assume HeadFi admins didn't like the group buy aspect when it threatened other vendors. If a sponsor like TTVJ, who happens to be a great guy running what is essentially a "mom and pop" business, gets undercut by a significant margin due to group buys, well.... that's not good from an admin perspective. In this case, nobody is getting stepped on because the product is an exclusive. Plus Massdrop is now involved in conversation with HeadFi staff, where I don't think that was the case prior. Still not sure they will be able to throw any random drop up here whenever they want, but I do happen to know of at least one more exclusive being discussed at the moment. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 4,580
Been stoked about this since I first got wind. At the price point for performance there really isn't anything to consider other than delivery date. I imagine, in usual Massdrop style, it could take some time to get the first 2000 units shipped. Still, $200 for a reworked Annie? What is there to even think about?

My wallet even said, "Ahhhhhh...screw it, why not?"

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 4,580
Been stoked about this since I first got wind. At the price point for performance there really isn't anything to consider other than delivery date. I imagine, in usual Massdrop style, it could take some time to get the first 2000 units shipped. Still, $200 for a reworked Annie? What is there to even think about?

My wallet even said, "Ahhhhhh...screw it, why not?"

Damn you - you squashed whatever resistance I was summoning lol!

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 4,580
Damn you - you squashed whatever resistance I was summoning lol!

Lol. I know the feeling. I kept debating on what price point would keep me from buying. If the $200 holds true, there is no resisting.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #24 of 4,580
Lol. I know the feeling. I kept debating on what price point would keep me from buying. If the $200 holds true, there is no resisting.

Being a canuck, I'd get gouged with exchange and shipping and it will prolly work out to approx $245CN. Still a seemingly great deal.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 4,580
Somebody post a link when the (Black Friday) drop is live... I did a quick search on Massdrop and it said that the drop (a previous drop??) had ended???
blink.gif

- Peace...
L3000.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #30 of 4,580
For $200 I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back