The AKG-K1000/W100 headphone swap... Matt and Nick D's impressions
Apr 20, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 44
Does anyone know how much power these headphones draw? Also, what are the effects of of this close to one's head (in short, am I going to get a brain tumor 20 yrs. down the road wearing these headphones?).

FYI, I'm using a Musical Fidelity M3 integrated amp (300 w/channel) plugged into a PS Audio PS300 power regenerator into an Eagle hospital grade 15 Amp outlet. Source is Sony XA20ES.

By the way, the sound is out of this world.

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #34 of 44
Matt

I haven't heard the W100 (yet) but calling the K1000 undetailed (or however gently you phrased it) seemed like something that might be attributable to the source and amp components. The W100 is low impedance with high sensitivity so it may be more capable of showing you detail with less hardware behind it, but I'm not an engineer and I'm speculating. In short, I don't agree that the K1000 is undetailed and bet your opinion might change with a different amplifier and source. Purely speculative. I'm not a Kenwood fan even on their good days.

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 44
...I tried as hard as I could to emphasize that I thought that the problems I was hearing (e.g. lack of absolute transparency) was probably attributable to the source. The cans performed admirably considering the circumstances and I think I definitely got the gist of what they're all about.

Best,
Matt

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #37 of 44
Matt

It's funny how you hit a wall when you get an exception piece of equipment isn't it? The other day I had the revelation that a tiny little amp I bought was perhaps more demanding of a good source and cables than my little Corda and now I have to see how far I can push it before declaring judgment on it. I tried to find nice ways to say the same about the HD600 but I think I failed. The K1000 are probably in a similar situation. Not bad, just demanding.

Apr 21, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #38 of 44
...I agree, there is almost certainly much more to be had with these. I think one of the things that I'm still "getting over" is the whole "through the air" thing, which, as stated in the review, is totally different and unlike anything else. Nick D offered to sell them to me and though I declined, it was not because I didn't want them. K1000 lust is still propelling these up my list of future "hell yeah" purchases. Even if all I had was that not-so-amazing amp, I'd be pretty darned happy.

Best,
Matt

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

If I micro analyze them, as above, I find things that are different from my closed-can norm, but listening to this, I think "who gives a ****?" The experience is all that matters and this is an experience!

Matt,
It seems you like those K1000, and that is all that matters.
smily_headphones1.gif
Why worry about the last bit of transparency if you enjoy your music as much as you do now? I feel you're absolutely right.

What surprised me a little was your statement about the K1000's natural bass response. I have never heard it, but I remember quite some listeners said that its bass response wasn't all that great and extended. I have always thought the K1000 lacked slam and impact.

Obviously, you (as well as Nick) feel different: "It gets my Best Bass I've Ever Heard So Far award, easily." In what way is the K1000's bass different from the W100 and more "speaker-like", could you explain this a little further? Thanks!

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #40 of 44
I may be wrong but I think Matt was referring to how precise and natural the base was rather than just going hard and deep. Much like how ety heads feel about etys.
I had a little taste of the K1000 with the microzotl and I would have to agree with Matt. I don't feel that the base was lacking at all; but rather it flowed seamlessly with the rest of the music. Sometimes, with my HD600/cardas, I do get the feeling that there may be a bit too much "oomph" in the base compared to the rest of the music.
Matt's review is just getting me really anxious to about getting the 1005dti. But for now, I've put away the K1000 back into it's box and locked it up for safe keeping.

Apr 21, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #41 of 44
...the bass, like the rest of the general, overall sound character, is a whole new experience. As stated in el review-o, they have a hybrid speaker/headphone character to them. As such, the bass to me sounds just like speaker bass. I can't exactly define this "difference" in absolute terms, but the first words that came to my head when listening was "a keen sense of effortlessness" and "natural and speaker-like (whatever that means in absolute terms)."

You know what? When you take the K1000's off your head, they are still grooving (quite literally) and jamming and vibrating and bouncing along, physically, with the music. I believe that it is this "visceral bass" that freely washes over your head and even your body somewhat that gives it it's very different, less congested, more effortless, more speaker-like character. While it is present in a liberal portion, it's not trapped, stifled or otherwise contained. This, I believe, is the answer.

Anyhow, HeadRoom should send a pair of these to all of us. It's an experience and I'll bet more than just a few folks will grab and never let go.

- Matt

Apr 22, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #43 of 44
...a new abbreviation, an important, much needed one: OMR ("On My Rig")...

So, OMR, there was NO, NO, NO deficiency of bass. I put on Goodie Mob's first CD and I felt like I was in my car before I removed the dual ten inch subs. It was musical but nonetheless had utter authority and it even nearly overtook me. I'd have to say (yet again) that it was the most perfect, most musical, most authoritative, non-resonant, non-boxy bass I have ever heard from a headphone. So, all the talk about ****ty bass is, in my experience, must be in direct comparison with a whomping, bass-heavy, closed-in can (like v6's, say).

- Matt

Apr 22, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #44 of 44
Matt

I didn't have so much an issue with the K1000's bass as I do the K501's. There could be more of it, but it's not as utterly lacking. I think the comments between these two headphoens sometimes get crossed. Most K1000 fans, I think, just want that added level of immersion that subs can provide -- and when the headphone is already that open, the reasoning becomes "why not."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back